Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Sand Rail question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalPh8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm new to The Samba and this is my first post. A guy just donated an old Sand Rail to me over the weekend and I've got a question about the positive camber. Is it supposed to have that much camber? It looks excessive. The sand rail was in prime operating condition back in 1999 and period photos from the time don't show nearly as much camber as the current ones do. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

Nice old school build.... Engine came to life as 1300cc 40HP in 1967 if that is what it still is is questionable as these engine are usually rebuilt at least once in their lives... It has later model ball joint (BJ) front end (67 and later) with early (68 and earlier) swing axle (SA) transaxle out back... It is missing one nut on generator tower...

It will have that much camber because suspension is at full travel and is at the downward limits by trailing arms hitting its lower stops...

You can change the rear camber by "lowering" rear of buggy by adjuster the rear torsion bar preload....

Suggest you get a copy of "BAJA BUGS & BUGGIES" By Jeff Hibbard (HP Books) to more acquaint yourself with many aspects of VW bugs and such...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

Dale is spot on.

Nice build, like how the front beam is built in.

It may settle a little when driving, weird thing about swing axle trans when you go in reverse (just rolling it or driving) it will creep up and max out the camber. Going forward will pull it down a little. Under driving conditions tends to settle back down so the pics you have may differ from how it sits.

It is a bit dangerous to have it that high, especially on the road, on the dunes it is a little forgiving. The book has many answers.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

That's a pretty unique looking cage... like a custom buggy thong Laughing

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
That's a pretty unique looking cage... like a custom buggy thong Laughing

Like wearing your underwear on your head?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

After you re-index the torsions, you can weld up the lower stop on each side so when the suspension unloads the droop is limited to a less positive camber that makes it much safer to drive especially in cornering where you can easily roll the rail with positive camber that is not being limited.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
After you re-index the torsions, you can weld up the lower stop on each side so when the suspension unloads the droop is limited to a less positive camber that makes it much safer to drive especially in cornering where you can easily roll the rail with positive camber that is not being limited.

OR add limit straps....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
RalPh8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW Sand Rail question Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice and friendliness. I really appreciate it. I'm a paramedic and small engine mechanic by trade. I have experience working on vehicles but I've never dealt with a sand rail or VW engine before. I will most likely have more questions in the future. Again, thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: