Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the TMI bashing re-commence.............#$!@*&
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Let the TMI bashing re-commence.............#$!@*& Reply with quote

Just received my new panels from TMI everybody..............and NONE OF THE HOLES LINEUP!! I was quoted 2 weeks for delivery of seat covers and panels...........8 weeks later I receive everything and the holes don't line up. I don't even want to deal with Jbugs or TMI so I am going to screw them on like they did on the earlier buses. In the long run it probably will be better for the panels anyway when I need to remove them.

DON'T USE TMI!! BOTTOM LINE!

Signed,

Extremely PISSED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't screw them on! I'm getting my panels stitched for me and making the wood myself- sounds like you couild have done that in the time its taken you to get those!
Rust Collector.
steponmebbbboom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you didnt put your order in after the other TMI post...
blackfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was already a couple of weeks in.....and yes Devon, "I could have done that in the time its taken you to get those!"

Hindsight is a bitch isn't it???????????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velokid1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the poster of the original TMI Panels & Fury thread. I spent five hours in my neighbor's bus (my old bus) Sunday, determined to make them work somehow. I reached the point where I realized that TMI had me by the balls... they were going to make dealing with them such a pain in the ass that no matter how hard it was to move Heaven and Earth to make the panels fit, it would still be easier than having to deal with TMI.

In five hours, I got halfway done. Here are the things I found:

A) The kick panels do not fit. I don't care what TMI says. I laid mine in the sun for 30 min before putting them in and I cracked the "wood" in both panels installing them. And I was as careful as a person could be. The kick panels are about 3/8" too wide. I got them in, but the cracks are visible.

B) The holes are not offset properly. What this means is that on every panel you are going to have a clip or two or three that will be centered in the hole in order to match up with the holes in the body. If you've had experience with the clips you know that if a clip is centered in the hole, it will fall out. I didn't figure out a way around this.

What I did was to first install clips all around the panel, eyeballing the holes in the body and guessing where to offset each clip in relation to each hole. When they're all in, hold the panel back up to the bus and try to get even closer to having a match (it won't be perfect). Then, beginning with the bottom-most clips, snap them into their holes. Work your way up to the tops carefully matching the clips to the holes. The clips will falling out, behind the panels and you have to use your Go Go Gadget Arms to dig them back out, etc. It's a lot of fun!! I finally got the panels installed but in the places where the offset isn't correct and the clips won't attach, you can tell because the panels bows away from the body. For me, that was good enough because I'm done f**king around with these things.

C) I used a 9/32" drill bit to ream the holes in the body. It's a tad small, so you have to ream them a little by moving the drill in circles. But 9/32" was just about right.

D) The proper way to install the panels involves plastic sheeting behind the panels to protect them from moisture coming down from the windows. Trying to do this job properly using TMI panels would take six months and more patience than I have ever witnessed in a human being.

To be honest, I cut TMI a little slack because the bus isn't mine. It took some compromising to get them in and, frankly, if it were my own bus, I wouldn't be happy with the compromising. I would want every clip to secure to the body the way VW designed them to. And I wouldn't be satisfied with doing without the plastic sheeting. Especially since the quality of the TMI panels is poor that just a couple drops of water and they're going to crumble.

I feel for you. Installing the panels will be a tough job and dealing with TMI will be even tougher.

~Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F@#$ TMI. I just had to join in. Very Happy

Seriously, this is unacceptable. Any monkey should be able to use the masonite from an old door panel to make a good template. For a bussiness that specializes in this type of product there is really no excuse. They should ship you panels that fit overnight after the trouble they've caused.

You guys should see what kind of legal measures can be taken against them. If this is really common a class action suit may be proper. Not simply for revenge but to stop this from happening to others.
Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously, this is unacceptable. Any monkey should be able to use the masonite from an old door panel to make a good template. For a bussiness that specializes in this type of product there is really no excuse. They should ship you panels that fit overnight after the trouble they've caused.

Too right it is- TMI stuff here is about 50% more expensive so imagine what a bitch it is when this happens at that price. I'm lucky as I have a friendly upholsterer who does pre war stuff and so knows his interiors. The seat covers I got from WCM were a pain and the vinyl was really thin, without his help I would have totally screwed them. How about everybody with bad experiences bombards them with e-mails, this post had 130 looks so if each viewer sent an e-mail to their sales dept complaining you can bet your arse the'd soon do something about blackfordd's problem and the rest of you who have isues. They are a big enough company to recognise a serious problem you would hope.
Rust Collector.
banana3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to eventually replace my door panels, but I guess I won't bother with the TMI panels. My question is: does anybody make a decent one? If not, this seems like a great opportunity for some business.

Is the alternative to make my own. I would actually like to, but I like the look of the vinyl with the embossed line in them.

Suggetsions?
Lui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banana3 wrote:
I would like to eventually replace my door panels, but I guess I won't bother with the TMI panels. My question is: does anybody make a decent one? If not, this seems like a great opportunity for some business.

Is the alternative to make my own. I would actually like to, but I like the look of the vinyl with the embossed line in them.

Suggetsions?

I hate to rain on the bashing, but I was satified with everything I bought from TMI.

I got front seat covers, padding, vinyl, door panels and kick panels. The front seats were hard to get on, but once we wrestled them on, they looked great. Sorry if my story disagrees too much with the others in this post! I must have gotten lucky; I ordered all of my stuff from GoWesty.

I thought the door panels were great. Certainly much better then the ones that were on there.

My two cents. . . . Smile

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. . . "

Please feel free to visit my "Westfalia" website and sign the guestbook!

http://www.geocities.com/lilithomson
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the holes in the TMI panels plain don't line up with the factory holes in the doors? They are slightly off, as in you can adjust the angle of the clips so they "work", or they don't line up at all and they can't possibly work period? Bummer, I was planning on using their panels/upholstery on my bus...

Sewfine products anyone?
blackfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my stuff to ISPWest to double check. They couldn't believe how far off they are.
velokid1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, Sewfine is probably the way to go. I need front door panels for my bus and will definitely be giving Sewfine a try. No matter how spendy they are!

If you're familiar with the panel clips you know that they hook into the hole and then can swivel 360-degrees in a circle. This gives you plenty of "leeway" and adjustment to make the fit work, provided that the hole in the body is offset in that same 360-degree arc.

The problem is this: imagine if one of the holes in the panel matches the hole in the bus body perfectly. If that's the case, and the clip is offset, the hole in the panel matches the hole in the body... but the clip won't meet the hole in the body. So the offset is critical. Maybe you have to see it to understand...

I feel like if pressure were put on TMI it wouldn't make a difference. They don't seem capable of doing the panels the right way. And they certainly aren't motivated to change their ways because they're the only game in town and they know it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my TMI door panels, I used some silicone boot/shoe weatherproofing spray on the backsides of the panels as well as plastic vapor barriers. "Nice," I said, "Good to go." Three years later, the adhesive is letting go all over the place Sad
Colin
BitterMormon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackfordd I sent you a PM
cree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Sewfine Reply with quote

I used Sewfine a few years ago on a Bug. The fit and finish was perfect. I had my headliner and panels done in a lt and dk tweed. Also the seats with new padding were just great. I don't know how the pricing is compared to the other manufactures but I would not use anyone other than Sewfine. Cree in Co. 79 Buses
blackfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to ISP today. The old screw in look is pretty cool. I got the vintage panels that have a beading around the entire panel and not only do the holes not line up but the panels don't even fit in the recessed form that the panels sit down in. The clips they gave me are too big for the hoes in the bus and in the panel opposite the sliding door the holes for the armrest are an inch and a half off. Probably why they put the holes for the armrest in the masonite but not through the vinyl itself......so you can create your own holes later. *sigh*

Luckily they will look pretty good just scrtewed in.
velokid1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackfordd wrote:
I went down to ISP today. The old screw in look is pretty cool. I got the vintage panels that have a beading around the entire panel and not only do the holes not line up but the panels don't even fit in the recessed form that the panels sit down in. The clips they gave me are too big for the hoes in the bus and in the panel opposite the sliding door the holes for the armrest are an inch and a half off. Probably why they put the holes for the armrest in the masonite but not through the vinyl itself......so you can create your own holes later. *sigh*

Luckily they will look pretty good just scrtewed in.

**The only clips available these days are the Bug clips. Bugs had larger holes in the body, so you have to drill the Bus holes out to fit. (Bus Depot still hasn't noted this in their online catalog, as an aside...)

**I also had the problem of the panels not fitting in the recessed areas where they're supposed to. On the panel behind the driver's seat, I had to drill out the rivets holding that plastic/foam vertical piece and then resecure it about 1/2" over.

**The holes that are scored (but not cut out) in the two panels behind the driver's and passenger's seat for the heat ducts and ashtray were both opposite of what they should've been. In other words, on the driver's side panel the hole for the vent was on the right side of the panel and vice versa for the passenger-side panel.

If these panels were sold at WalMart, it would make sense. But when they are the major manufacturer of VW panels, I just gotta laugh to keep from crying.

I'm done ranting about TMI permanently. This weekend I will finish the installation job for the new owner of my bus and never again utter the name TMI.

Scout's honor.

~Greg
blackfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too........especially anywhere near any kind of "order desk".
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velokid1 wrote:

If you're familiar with the panel clips you know that they hook into the hole and then can swivel 360-degrees in a circle. This gives you plenty of "leeway" and adjustment to make the fit work, provided that the hole in the body is offset in that same 360-degree arc.

The problem is this: imagine if one of the holes in the panel matches the hole in the bus body perfectly. If that's the case, and the clip is offset, the hole in the panel matches the hole in the body... but the clip won't meet the hole in the body. So the offset is critical. Maybe you have to see it to understand...

Thanks for the words, velokid1. I was figuring they were an inch or two off from the factory door panel holes, I didn't think the holes actually matched the door! I can definitely see how that would not work. That's too bad, I figured the door panels would be one the the easiest parts of the interior job! So the TMI panels are the same ones sold by pretty much everybody, right? Short of the ones sold direct from Sewfine I'd imagine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: