Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Increasing performance in a 1200
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

Hello Experts Smile I am wanting to increase the performance and horse power of my 1976 Beetle. I have rebuilt the 1200 engine which is orgiinal in it and put a new high performance Carburetor on it. I am wondering what are some other changes/additions I can make to the motor to increase performance? Any Ideas?
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

Without taking it apart again all you can do is add a header and maybe ratio rockers. If it is a late D engine and you don't mind taking it apart again, put a 1600 crank, p/c's and heads as well as the header.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

And/or build a better manifold, buy an AMR 500 supercharger and modify carb and ignition for boost. 60 hp is relatively easy obtainable.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

There was also a 40hp Judson supercharger.
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

Thanks guys! How do I tell if I have a Late D motor?
JonasKristofferson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

@Alstrup, How would I go about changing the manifold and adding that supercharger? Do you know any links to videos, places to buy the parts needed or some information of how to do this? Thanks!
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

There is a full twin carb set available from Reichert motorentechnick website. Costs big bucks but includes all the bits. Don't forget the first thing to do with a 40 HP car is to lighten it. Take out all non essentials such as back seat,spare wheel,jack,tools,stereo,speakers,glovebox,maybe lose bumpers and running boards for Free Power.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Increasing performance in a 1200 Reply with quote

JonasKristofferson wrote:
@Alstrup, How would I go about changing the manifold and adding that supercharger? Do you know any links to videos, places to buy the parts needed or some information of how to do this? Thanks!

The supercharging is for a good deal a DIY project. If you search on Youtube you will find varius solutions. The stock intake manifold is a little restrictive. you could for instance take a 1300 40 hp sgl port manifold and modify to the 1200. That will give you approx 10 hp more with the same boost.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: