Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy faucet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked that way to me.
Jung Restoration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
Please forgive the stupid question. My 67 SO-42 was missing its faucet but I got two old ones in a bag with the bus. Which one of these is the correct faucet for the bus?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

or

Thanks!

Top picture -whale pump- is in my '66 and the chrome one is in a '67 I'm parting out. Problem is the wale pump spout is broken, but the other one is is great shape. I was thinking I could just swap the pumps but the tank filler holes are different in the table top. I would have to swap the pumps, table top, and water container? Does any place just sell the spout for the whale pump?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JDGas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a '67 so42 on saturday. My faucet looks like the chrome one but has a 3 hole mounting base instead of the 2 hole pictured. Anyone know the origin of this pump? I guess I will be ordering the pump and check valve from RVshop.com.

Only pictures I got, but you get the idea.

1961 Sunroof Beetle - sold
1969 Sunroof Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need a little help please. I have a 66 Westy and I have what appears to be a Whale pump on it? I know nice seen this pump style before. It has the two hole pattern. What throws me is the sticker on the plastic portion that says made in Taiwan. Can anybody verify if its a whale? If so, I'm in desperate need of finding the barbed hose connection the screws into bottom of pump 3 picture down. I called North America Whale and the guy who knows anything is not in for a few. Any help is greatly appreciated. This fitting if whale is metric and I I can find is copper standard connections.

The part I need. My current is broken as you can see

I believe its 9mm female by ? 9,maybe8 or 3/8" barbed end.
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '67 had the lower chrome one when i bought the camper in '82, doubt po changed it. Old one wouldn't pump well so replaced it with a new one.
'82 Toyota 4x4 5sp PU lb, daily driver
Many Corvairs /& 4 rag tops
'63 Chevy 20 Truck w/4sp 292
Want, white plastic end pieces for dash grab handle
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whale stuff usually says Whale on it somewhere. I work in the marine world and have always been able to find most stuff here http://www.westmarine.com/search?text=pipe+to+barb.

I don't recollect finding much metric threaded stuff. 3/8 pipe feels like it's metric as it is relatively uncommon. Most barb sizes end up being much larger on the actual barb. For example 1/2 barb is 5/8 hose unless you like fighting a 1/2 inch hose over it.

Peruse West' stuff and see what you might find.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the early North American SO 42's I have seen came with Whale pumps (Made in Ireland of all places)

No idea how an Irish pump became standard issue on early north amercian so42's. As far as replacement parts I would head to a marine supply shop that offers accessories etc for yachts/ sailboats and that sort of thing. West marine is probably a good place to try too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
All the early North American SO 42's I have seen came with Whale pumps...

Right but post up a picture of one; they are different looking from his aren't they?
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what the original whale pump looked like

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody take a stab at who is the maker of this pump. It fits the existing mounting holes on the cabinet. And I'm sure I've seen this model before. Maybe it was a later Westy.

Edit:
Think I found the maker of my pump.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFU0YKK/ref=pd_aw_sbs_auto_2?refRID=083X5QDVN84JVDE8C5ZY
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your pump looks like a knock off of an early bay pump- although I thin kback in the day they were sourced from us manufacturers not made it Taiwan

that one on the amazon site looks like it has an octangonal base as compared to yours which looks circular?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

I'm going to take a stab at getting this Whale pump working and back in my SO44.

I thought y'all might like to see the different parts

In mine the brown base was broken so I made a form and used some JB Weld to rebuild the ears on it. I'm contemplating also making a metal collar that distributes the clamping pressure around the entire base.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

^^looking fwd to progress pics! i have one that is in pieces too. not to rain on your parade but the cutout for the other style of pump is wider so if you might want to try a test fit on your cabinet before going to the bother of the rebuild- you can probably guess how i know
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
^^looking fwd to progress pics! i have one that is in pieces too. not to rain on your parade but the cutout for the other style of pump is wider so if you might want to try a test fit on your cabinet before going to the bother of the rebuild- you can probably guess how i know

The SO44 has a sink (unlike the SO42) and the empty original hole with the four screw holes is right next to it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

Whale Marine still makes a hand pump that might have compatible parts. Might be worth someone trying. Mine works so not me. Click on "spares" http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Cate...d-operated
West Marine sells it so maybe they have that part https://www.westmarine.com/buy/whale-pumps--vertical-self-priming-hand-pump--255427?recordNum=10
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

missed the SO44 part- i have an SO42

Anyway look fwd to seeing progress!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy faucet Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Whale Marine still makes a hand pump that might have compatible parts. Might be worth someone trying. Mine works so not me. Click on "spares" http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/product.aspx?Cate...d-operated
West Marine sells it so maybe they have that part https://www.westmarine.com/buy/whale-pumps--vertical-self-priming-hand-pump--255427?recordNum=10

Thanks Barry, I'll have a look.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: