Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Losing speed after driving a little while
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Mike - can't he just to the cake pan fix and solve much of his issue? This is a set up someone had originally where they just made the solution to pick up case heat out of an old license plate but they had to change it to a cake pan, cookie sheet or something because of WA state law.

He needs a source of hot air to make the cookie tin idea work.

As for covering the manifolds as you show. I tried something similar and it didn't do much to warm the manifold during operation, but did cause the carb to heat soak worse on a hot summer's day. My setup using the heavy cast metal ends of the FI runners (with no gasket, just goop) does a good job of moving heat from the heads into the manifold.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

bugbenginer wrote:
sounds good, thank you.

Well here you go, you can't really see the piece I made all that well, but it is just a piece of exhaust tubing cut at angle and welded onto a flange. It is held in place by the same bolts that hold the stock '72-74 hot air duct to the front side of the tin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

thank you !

do you have a pic of how/where you cut hole in on the other side of the firewall? and maybe a pic of the setup from outside the engine bay?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

bugbenginer wrote:
thank you !

do you have a pic of how/where you cut hole in on the other side of the firewall? and maybe a pic of the setup from outside the engine bay?

The hole in the firewall was stock in the 72-74 year carb buses

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

yes, I know that, I'm seeing about where about the holes should be on a later bay firewall.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

Thanks Averys:

bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

how about the hole into the area that outs out the heat?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

bugbenginer wrote:
how about the hole into the area that outs out the heat?

No good pictures of that one as the late bottom front cylinder tin is different than the corresponding early tin. I would locate the holes for the upper tin as carefully as possible and then bolt the duct in place followed by spraying the bottom of the duct with a wisp of spray paint to get locations of the bottom bolt holes.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

Yep, carb icing. Mine is a '75. I mentioned to Jake that I was using a heated base gasket on mine (Vegas had a similar issue), he said "meh". The manifold needs a little CAREFUL clearancing but has a built-in thermostat and it works wonders. Delco part #216-2 comes to mind. My "teacher" came up with the idea and initially we used the old FI relay on the upper firewall panel at the fuel tank to power it. It also powers a Delco 3 psi fuel pump that mounts where the original pump & wiring was, eliminating your extra coil trigger. I'm glad I made wiring notes in my Bentley manual. I also cut an anti-freeze jug breather to cover the filter and pieces of insulation for the intake runners. I stuck the fuel tank vent lines into the jug. After it sitting for 8 yrs. I'm preparing to put it all back together.

My dad got rid of his '75 when the FI gave out. He bought an '84 Vanagon (another 1st year experiment-Suby with Beetle heads). Water pump lasted 35,000 mi. Never buy a first year ANYTHING!!!

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Here are 16 pages of people trying to get them adjusted so that they are reliable with varying degrees of success.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217070&highlight=progressive+carb

I would be looking for a nice pair of dual carbs myself. If it were my money I would buy a set of these...all set up and ready for my application.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dual-34mm-PDSIT-Solex-Carb-Kit-Type-4-p/3286.htm

Ok, I am about to just pull the trigger on the dual carb setup, seems there are a few options on the link you posted, any add ons or options I should select or just as it comes?
bugbenginer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
Yep, carb icing. Mine is a '75. I mentioned to Jake that I was using a heated base gasket on mine (Vegas had a similar issue), he said "meh". The manifold needs a little CAREFUL clearancing but has a built-in thermostat and it works wonders. Delco part #216-2 comes to mind. My "teacher" came up with the idea and initially we used the old FI relay on the upper firewall panel at the fuel tank to power it. It also powers a Delco 3 psi fuel pump that mounts where the original pump & wiring was, eliminating your extra coil trigger. I'm glad I made wiring notes in my Bentley manual. I also cut an anti-freeze jug breather to cover the filter and pieces of insulation for the intake runners. I stuck the fuel tank vent lines into the jug. After it sitting for 8 yrs. I'm preparing to put it all back together.

My dad got rid of his '75 when the FI gave out. He bought an '84 Vanagon (another 1st year experiment-Suby with Beetle heads). Water pump lasted 35,000 mi. Never buy a first year ANYTHING!!!

do you have any pics of your setup? wiring etc?
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

bugbenginer wrote:
do you have any pics of your setup? wiring etc?

This is what the gasket with 2 wires looks like with a Type 4 manifold. The ceramic heating element is square, in the primary side, and hangs down into the manifold. The manifold has to be clearanced slightly at the outer corners of the heater housing. Be very careful as I cut through the manifold walls first time. I had a spare from the setup that the PO had on it. I get around 18 MPG/City with it. In cold weather the secondary will still tend to freeze up under a heavy foot, but the primary is enough to get down the road "quick enough for the old man." Twisted Evil

More photos of the gasket can be seen here:
http://southernsurplusinc.com/genuine-acdelco-216-...k-16110401 They are out-of-stock, I haven't checked on availability for years.

I mounted a foglight relay on the upper left side of the firewall panel where the old FI relay was, and extended these 2 wires to there. The relay also powers the fuel pump and choke wire. This left me room on the coil for the Pertronix point power wire.
This setup starts right up and idles perfectly, letting the engine warm up while you're going back for another cup of coffee. Smile

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Losing speed after driving a little while Reply with quote

I was able to buy one off of eBay. Hasn't arrived yet and I am not sure I will be able to make it work with my custom manifold as my manifold can not be modified readily.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: