Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

alex857 wrote:
Hi Anton,
great pictures you are always posting, thanks! The windshield washer reservoir you bought ist very nice, but you also might consider installing the "original" one with elecrical pump made in Japan which was built in your Samtroter Sonderkäfer. It is a square shaped plastic reservoir stripped to the spare wheel; visible here in the background (sorry for the crappy photo of my fathers Samtroter Sonderkäfer):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately I don´t know a source as new but every now and then you find one on the swap markets.

I know it very well about air pressure washer reservoir Wink Danke!
But I cannot find it in good state or NOS in stock and bought old one electric OEM for Mex.bugs after 1986.
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Hi Anton,
the Mexicans used an electrical washer from 1982 on, it was no longer air pressurized.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

How'd that steering gearbox turn out? Check the free play before you install it.

The box you have looks a bit different than the ones I've received. When you turn it by hand you should see it turn the gear (even a little). It should also not be too tight or too loose.

Keep your old box too if original. You might have it rebuilt.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
How'd that steering gearbox turn out? Check the free play before you install it.

The box you have looks a bit different than the ones I've received. When you turn it by hand you should see it turn the gear (even a little). It should also not be too tight or too loose.

Keep your old box too if original. You might have it rebuilt.

Today steering is very heavy, adjustment doesn't help. It in dry. Naturally I will keep an old reducer. Thank for your opinion.
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

alex857 wrote:
Hi Anton,
the Mexicans used an electrical washer from 1982 on, it was no longer air pressurized.

Yes, thanks!
But Sondermodells for official European customers have airpressure old-style washer tank before 1986 (when Jubi last bug was send to Bremerhaven port.)
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Hi, everybody! Because tires of my bug are released in the nineties there are age cracks around a protector. The protector still very fresh, but age dries rubber and safe driving of the car becomes questionable. I found four new tires in Germany with good price. It is Firestone F-560 which arrived to me appeared the Mexican production of 2016. Two years "I hunted" this tires, the prices with logistic reached to 1000 EUR for four wheels... Price for me with delivery about 100EUR for one tire (The price in US from 90 to 120 dollars, but shipping costs to Russia is twice more for one tire). I will change tires on wheels in the summer. The Bug sleeps under a cover meanwhile

samtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

antonb wrote:

Many parts manufactured in Mexico, were labeled "Made in Germany".

You wrote a lot about the Vocho's history ("Vocho" is the mexican name for the aircooled Beetle). But some things are not true.

Especially the quoted sentence is nothing but a lie. Every single part for the Beetle produced in Mexico was and still is labelled "Hecho en México".

On my 1985 velvet red special edition Beetle (samtroter Sonderkäfer) you can find these signs everywhere, for example on the seats made by Keiper de México or on the windows made by Crinamex. In fact a lot of the parts that were fitted to the mexican Beetles were imported from Germany, for example the windscreen washer tanks with electrical pump (since 1982, when the old system that used the pressure of the spare tyre was replaced by an electrical pump).

By the way: I was quite suprised to learn that there is a "samtroter Sonderkäfer" in Russia. As mine was bought on August 30 of 1985 brand new from a Volkswagen dealership in Bad Kissingen, Germany and I own it since February of 1991, I know a lot about these mexican made Beetles. I have visited the Puebla plant almost every year from 1988 to 2001. I have friends that work for Volkswagen de México, one of them is the engineer that was responsible for the development of the fuel injected ACD engine of the 1600i models that were produced from October 1992 until the Beetle's end in 2003.

Kind regards from Rainer
www.kaeferclub-wuerzburg.de

My "samtroter Sonderkäfer" with its little brother, a pedal car made in Italy, sprayed with the original velvet red (samtrot) colour and fitted with custom made flower design decals from the http://www.fusselshop.de/

Nothing beats the Beetle in winter driving. Drifting in the snow is big fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My VW Käfer, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

samtrot wrote:
antonb wrote:

Many parts manufactured in Mexico, were labeled "Made in Germany".

You wrote a lot about the Vocho's history ("Vocho" is the mexican name for the aircooled Beetle). But some things are not true.

Especially the quoted sentence is nothing but a lie. Every single part for the Beetle produced in Mexico was and still is labelled "Hecho en México".

On my 1985 velvet red special edition Beetle (samtroter Sonderkäfer) you can find these signs everywhere, for example on the seats made by Keiper de México or on the windows made by Crinamex. In fact a lot of the parts that were fitted to the mexican Beetles were imported from Germany, for example the windscreen washer tanks with electrical pump (since 1982, when the old system that used the pressure of the spare tyre was replaced by an electrical pump).

By the way: I was quite suprised to learn that there is a "samtroter Sonderkäfer" in Russia. As mine was bought on August 30 of 1985 brand new from a Volkswagen dealership in Bad Kissingen, Germany and I own it since February of 1991, I know a lot about these mexican made Beetles. I have visited the Puebla plant almost every year from 1988 to 2001. I have friends that work for Volkswagen de México, one of them is the engineer that was responsible for the development of the fuel injected ACD engine of the 1600i models that were produced from October 1992 until the Beetle's end in 2003.

Kind regards from Rainer
www.kaeferclub-wuerzburg.de

My "samtroter Sonderkäfer" with its little brother, a pedal car made in Italy, sprayed with the original velvet red (samtrot) colour and fitted with custom made flower design decals from the http://www.fusselshop.de/

Nothing beats the Beetle in winter driving. Drifting in the snow is big fun.

That snow pic should be made into a poster.
samtrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

antonb wrote:

Samtroter kafer means the same such as Velvet Red on english Wink
In mexico nobody knows about this model (except VW`s workers in city Puebla) Wink because did not use it, all 3000 cars were exported to western Germany customers.

Another example of your "alternative facts". The samtroter Sonderkäfer IS known in México. I even know a guy who owned one. Like with the regular Beetles built in Puebla for exportation to Europe, all cars that did not pass QC (quality control) because of minor defects in the painting or similar mistakes, were sold in México, usually to the employes of the Volkswagen factory. For the buyer of these cars it even was difficult to get parts for the engine. The Beetles intended for exportation to Europe had the 1200 cm3 and 34 bhp "D" engine, whereas the Beetles for the local market had the 1600 cm3 "AF" engine with 46 bhp and reduced compression ratio, due to the poor quality of the fuel available in Mexico at this time.

Kind aircooled regards from Germany, Rainer
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Hello World!
The calendar winter will end soon, but it will be possible to come out to roads in Moscow not earlier than April therefore it is necessary to awake and roll occasionally the car on a parking. The first that pleasantly you feel having opened month the standing old car it is a smell in cabin, and after start pleasant notes of gasoline and oil + old plastic, rubber elements, the car which is just bought in salon, and that a controversial issue what smell is better can kill this smell of the old car, probably.

Link

Temperature in a parking about +13+15 of Celsius, it is wet as a lot of snow conceals from the neighborhood cars, but ventilation, the truth after my circular race works well. In this thread I show you how I wake up the Bug in winter period, each one month.

Link

Link

Link

Link

bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Not bad considering you're inside!

Better than nothing
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Cold start after three winter months.
Then "parking racing" about 10 laps. I`ve got some problem with ignition (wire/spark-plug) with some cylinder on cold engine but I do not care about it Wink spring repair weekends soon!

Link

Link

antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Today I am ready with new season Wink

PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Nice car! That is a particularly pleasant red shade of paint. Almost Ruby....
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

thanks!
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Good afternoon!

The season is officially open, in a week around 200 kilometers I did.

Link

Today was excellent weather and we since morning were engaged in car.
During the winter "doggie" of the fixer of the hand brake lever took off, it was necessary to adjust the hand brake and to replace a lever casing.
1. I replaced a washer reservoir on original with the electric pump which was put in a drain since 1982, but on this model I was pneumatic which used air pressure in a spare wheel. Unfortunately. a complete set in that to find anywhere any more
2. Trifles such as boots and caps are established.
3. Pressed with liqud front torsion bars.
4. High-voltage wires of ignition, and a spark plug are replaced. In 3 and 1 cylinders a situation good, and here 2 and 4 candles strongly black, it is necessary to deal with the carburetor.

Link

5. Mineral oil in the engine is replaced with the most viscous 20W50, and also a filter in the crankcase.

The following steps, replacement of the fuel level sensor and to carry out its calibration. Further already I showed the car to children from ChipsAway Moscow
that tinted some problems on a car body and executed polish of a car body.
Generally we prepare for the VAGBURG festival which will take place in Yakhroma place which situated near Moscow 26.05.2018.

antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Good afternoon!
On May 26 in Yakhroma situated near Moscow there has taken place the annual festival of VAG concern.
This year it was succeeded to collect the maximum quantity aircooled vehicles!
Additional media will be soon...
Have a nice day!

Link

Link

[/youtube]
antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Link

antonb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restoration, Mex, 1984 Samtroter Sonderkäfer Reply with quote

Hi, everybody!
The reason of replacement of a steering box - big effort on a wheel.
New steering box TRW brand lie in a garage long ago and I waited for the installation on the car.
Previously having adjusted efforts and a backlash it is installed on the car (advice to all - don't trust factory adjustments).
As some elements didn't touch 35 years - it was necessary to heat and beat out.
As a result 5 hours later the reducer is established, but the wheel remained "heavy".
To understand in what the reason, tie roads, the stabilizer were turned off and it became clear that front spindel of the right wheel is deformed that at turn of a wheel gives effort to torsion levers.
Verdict: its replacement next time.
Are also adjusted the valve, the compression in cylinders is measured, makes 8.2-8.3 atm depending on cylinders.
Also are replaced ignition system elements, wires and the coil, now ignition doesn't flow away, and gets on an electrode of candles because of what the car became more vigorous to run, tests showed 108 km/h at D-engine 34 hp and still there is a small stock, but there was no wish to force the old engine.
Next time we will replace a front right spindel and so on trifles, is what to be engaged, but speed doesn't influence generally.

Link

thecableguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Russian VW Käfer restauration, Mex, 1984 "Samtroter Sonderkäfer" Reply with quote

My lovely vintage keychain with Bretzel.
[/quote]

Wonderful keychain! I've enjoyed reading your story and admiring your pictures. Had to comment when I saw the same Brezelkäfer keychain I have.

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: