Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st engine drop & doing some maintenance.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

IIRC, I read that you can bring them down as a single unit by supporting the unit from the engine side.
I believe the engine is heavy enough to carry the transmission without tipping over.

To install the engine, it's the same way except it's recommended to have a second jack to be able to raise the transmission a little higher to align the (nose??)
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

It's been a while but the oil filler neck was the piece that caused clearance issues when dropping the motor by itself. I was (still am) a one-man, one-jack operation so I had to make do. That neglected pilot bearing was cause for one of my R&R operations:(
When I bought my Bus, I discovered the metal piece on the front tranny mount was broken in half. Found one in a junk yard. Had to hacksaw the studs to get it out. Later I saw that bus, which had belonged to one of yard owners, sitting in someone's yard. I never saw them to warn them about that missing front mount. I guess they figured it out the hard way.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

There's barely enough room to separate the engine from the trans even with the coil and filler neck removed, if you don't know what's hanging up you can F' up the pressure plate or input shaft.
Drop it as a unit if you don't know the history of the CV joints, front trans mount and shift coupler, it's all going to need attention sooner or later anyways.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Drop it as a unit, it's much less of a battle, put the jack at the front of the sump with a little bit of it on the engine/trans seam.

Ratwell is referring to the silicone sleeves where the accordian tubes connect to the body and heater valves, your bus likely has crumbly asbestos ones now.

Will do, thanks.

Right now I don't see any sleeves on mine and the boxes are just slid on to the end of the flapper box(?).

Also it appears that on one side where the cable meets the flapper box, its missing the bracket to hold the cable to the flapper. Is that a busted bus part or can I get new ones?

I can tell I'll be needing to replace a ton of parts:(
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Agreed, I'm debating right now whether to put the tranny back in now or wait until the motor's done. The rear end and shifter bushings are new for the first time in over 250K miles and 20 years of owning her. I would also recommend upgrading fuel lines for ethanol fuel!

I have done both with one jack and 2x4's but I was older then. I'm younger and 8 years out-of-practice now;) My "Geech" has been waiting 19 years for her new motor. I haven't told her she's in the classifieds. Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

When I pulled my engine I also dropped the firewall, removed the fuel tank and changed everything in there as well.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Excellent idea as well. That would be considered a blowout panel. The relays for the fuel system mounted to it would be disabled in case the tank explodes.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Ok I'm at the final stage of removal and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The carrier bolts are removed, the two transmission bolts are removed and the shifter has been disengaged from the transmission and yet not only does the engine not seem to want to go down, I also don't see how I can lower it and move the jack back to clear the nose cone from the axel.

HELP!!
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

Is the carrier stuck to the body? A couple taps should break loose.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

Got it!!!!

I thought it was the carrier as well but nope! It was just me being a dumb ass!! Earlier while supporting the engine I put the atv jack in place and I engaged the safety lock on it:O I forgot to raise it up which explains why it wouldn't lower. Doh!
My engine looks dirty as hell!

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

Congrats Very Happy I've seen dirtier!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

Of all the visible parts what can I easily remove to pretty up. By easy I mean not requiring any specialty tools or precision when putting it back together.

I'll be doing fuel lines, fuel injectors, oil breathe gasket, as well as what has been talked about previously.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

You can pretty much get as far as the heads without any fear - as long as you have requisite gaskets. it's a good time to clean up EGR, changing intake manifold gaskets and even pretty up the plenum. Do you have another car to drive in the meantime?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
You can pretty much get as far as the heads without any fear - as long as you have requisite gaskets. it's a good time to clean up EGR, changing intake manifold gaskets and even pretty up the plenum. Do you have another car to drive in the meantime?

I do have another car, thanks.

Time to order some parts!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
SGKent wrote:
these work well. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-Hose-Pincher/dp...lisle+fuel

Slide some fuel line on the jaws of needle nosed locking pliers as a fuel line clamp. But don't over tighten them.

Steal a Kelly clamp from work, they will just assume they left it in a patient. Works for surgical sponges, too
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Congrats Very Happy I've seen dirtier!

I bought my Bus with the original motor where the middle seat should be. It had slung #3 rod through the case.
The motor in the back was missing that little piece of tin next to #2 cylinder. When we resealed the heads it burned a hole in that side of piston #2 before I could get it home.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help! So close Reply with quote

All righty then! Then engine is being striped of its tin which I plan on powder coating. I found some things I'd like to take care of while the engine is out.

So...I have a ton of questions.

The cold start valve connector that's attached to the wiring harness is broken and unable to clip on to the valve by itself. How or can I replace that connector? Who sells that part? Because the cable is so short I would love to be able to avoid cutting the cable if possible. Is that possible?
Answer: this site has them and its part #1287013003 Bosch
https://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid...inal%20Kit

Some of my engine tin is cracked, what's my best option? I do not have a welder nor have I ever welded before. Would a metal shop (is that what they are called, lol) be able to repair the minor cracks cheaper than buying used tin?
Answer: buy used.

Is there a bolt and washer kit available to replace my rusty ones that will last longer and not rust?

Is there a recommended tin bolt/washer fastener to use for all the tin? How many will I need (some are missing)?
Answer: bags of 100 cost ~$15

Do the gasket kits (specially the VR one from busdepot) have all the necessary gaskets for things like the egr valve and the manifold tubes to cylinder head gasket? Do they include all the tin grommets. There are several grommets and I'm sure they are a pain to find without the proper part #'s.
Answer: no. You can see what's included by visiting ratwel:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GasketSet.html

Can the intake air distributor be powder coated? Manifold tubes? What about the push rod tubes? For the engine tins with threaded inserts, do I need to block them off before powder coating or will they do something to keep the threads clear?
Answer: the shop usually take care of screw holes. The air distributor can be powder coated but it needs to be properly prepped.

Does anyone sell new support pieces for the fan flappers (page 21 of the Bentley part #15).

Can the front half of the fan housing be removed and replaced without precision (is could a noob mess up the install by not aligning parts properly or by not having specialty tools)?
Answer: yes just don't separate the fan from the pulley, taking care not to drop it which could cause it to go out of balance.

Ok, I think that's it for now.

Last edited by ivwshane on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Its out! Reply with quote

I forgot one more thing.

How do I clean the CV joint? It looks disgusting in there but I don't want to just start scraping things out of that's not how you do it.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Its out! Reply with quote

Here's a good link for a fuel injector connector:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688291&highlight=fuel+injector+connector

EGR gaskets are not included in the engine gasket kit. They are a little rare. Check classified here - or even make your own. I believe they are similar to the cold start valve gasket - which is also rare and not included in the gasket kit. Rubber grommets for the engine tin will not be included either. Check ratwell.com to see what is - he lists them out. But generally they will be for a generic engine rebuild.

The plenum may need a lot of degreasing before you take it in - and even then they might turn you down. It would look great if you can get it coated.

Fan housing - which bit are you talking about? Shroud or fan itself? Do not take that fan apart. Fan shroud is ok to separate.

Do someone else a favor and post the answers to the rest of your questions - when you find the answers Smile
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Its out! Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Here's a good link for a fuel injector connector:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688291&highlight=fuel+injector+connector

EGR gaskets are not included in the engine gasket kit. They are a little rare. Check classified here - or even make your own. I believe they are similar to the cold start valve gasket - which is also rare and not included in the gasket kit. Rubber grommets for the engine tin will not be included either. Check ratwell.com to see what is - he lists them out. But generally they will be for a generic engine rebuild.

The plenum may need a lot of degreasing before you take it in - and even then they might turn you down. It would look great if you can get it coated.

Fan housing - which bit are you talking about? Shroud or fan itself? Do not take that fan apart. Fan shroud is ok to separate.

Do someone else a favor and post the answers to the rest of your questions - when you find the answers Smile

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I needed!

As for the fan, I'm talking about the shroud itself. Wouldn't I have to remove the fan I'm order to take off the shroud?

I'll update my previous post when I get answers for each question.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: