Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 rusty bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

I am in Mass too and am just finishing up getting a title for a car I'm working on. If you're in this crap state you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a title. You need a cop to run the VIN, see if it's in the system. Odds are it's not as most of the cars here have been off the roads for ages and Mass didn't require a title before the early 80's. You also need a notarized statement stating how long you've had it, the circumstances under which you bought it, who you bought it from, etc. Then you need a similar thing from the person YOU bought it from stating how long they had it and so on. Technically you are required to obtain, or start to obtain a title within 10 days of buying the car. For every month after that you pay a fine (it's pretty insignificant). You also have to pay sales tax based on the NADA value of the car. Title fee is $75.00. Once you have all your DMV papers, the inspection report, bill of sail, notarized stuff you take it to the DMV who will then forward it to Boston, or Quincy MA I think, and they will review it. Having done it in the past it takes a couple weeks for the title to arrive if all goes accordingly. You've got it easy! My car was not even in the NADA book. Good luck, whatever you do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

What about the Vermont thing for a title?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

Going to try both... what's the rule in Connecticut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

No title after 25 years. If you have one, they won't even accept it, bill of sale is enough.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
JoeyBagaDonutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

Just do the Vermont thing. I've done it twice with no problems.
1971 Karmann Ghia Vert
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

Yup try VT, screw this state! My next car with no title will be going that route. Makes no sense to do it here with all the red tape.
JoeyBagaDonutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

I spent 5 hours at the Yarmouth registry trying to get it done. Some guy sitting on a bench heard my somewhat heated exchange with a DMV employee and clued me in on the Vermont method. Looked it up online and went from there....

This state really does suck. When I'm in Florida my neighbors call me a Masshole. Mad
1971 Karmann Ghia Vert
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well.... I got it towed home today... 275$ vacuumed out all the crap and got it into the garage. This is definitely going to be alot of work. The body is in tough shape. Next step will be to try and get title.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

you can fix this car in four easy steps.

1. get the title.

2. Buy a welder

3. Learn to weld

4. buy sheet metal and weld it to the car!

OK maybe not easy steps but it can be done and yes it is more expensive in the long run, but that's the key word LONG as in you spread the investment out over a few years, not everyone is in the position to drop 10 grand on a solid turnkey car. There are title services out there that can help you get a replacement original title for your car for exactly the situation you are in, bought a car didn't put title in your name and lost it. Just do a Google search.

Good luck don't get discouraged and work an hour a day on it and you will surprised what you can get done. Oh and keep posting lots of pictures, you will get good along with negative feedback, both are good as long as it is constructive.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

617dannyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

Already got the body off.... now where to start???
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

If you are dead set on fixing it then get that title. Then from the looks of it get it solid again. So start hunting down heater channels, rear crossmembers, quarter sections and floors. That'll at least get you started!

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_sheet_metal/bug_sheet_metal/side_member.cfm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_sheet_metal/bug_sheet_metal/quarter_panel.cfm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/body_sheet_metal/bug_sheet_metal/cross_section.cfm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701061M
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 rusty bug Reply with quote

Get the title sorted before you spend a dime. Until then, it's not your car, and your throwing money away.

If you must work on it, just clean parts, or work on the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: