Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
EDIT: Ahhhh, just checked the image above and it was shrinked to 1600 x 1141 pixels, making it impossible to read the text.
Will split it into pieces

Will back soon (well this does mean maybe another few weeks timeframe ...)

Will greatly appreciate your doing this, as your engine tin set-up is quite nearly my own. I am hoping to have all the correct tin I have (or need) cleaned/repaired and painted and on my engine by the end of this summer.
Having this visual, combined with part numbers will prove very useful to a great many of us and I thank you heartily for it.

Love your thread and keep up the great work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
EDIT: Ahhhh, just checked the image above and it was shrinked to 1600 x 1141 pixels, making it impossible to read the text.
Will split it into pieces

Will back soon (well this does mean maybe another few weeks timeframe ...)

Here is the huge original you made:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/enginetins_1970.jpg
If you make any corrections and want it edited on the site, email it to me with that same filename and I'll replace it as needed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
Will greatly appreciate your doing this, as your engine tin set-up is quite nearly my own. I am hoping to have all the correct tin I have (or need) cleaned/repaired and painted and on my engine by the end of this summer.
Having this visual, combined with part numbers will prove very useful to a great many of us and I thank you heartily for it.

Love your thread and keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind words and your support!

EverettB wrote:
Here is the huge original you made:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/enginetins_1970.jpg
If you make any corrections and want it edited on the site, email it to me with that same filename and I'll replace it as needed.

Thank you Everett for your help! Will do so.
Next time I should pay more attention to the gallery upload restrictions.

Is my note "this image is for personal use only" in any way legal or even necessary? I would hate to see this picture used for any commercial purposes.
I have zero clue about copyright laws.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
Is my note "this image is for personal use only" in any way legal or even necessary? I would hate to see this picture used for any commercial purposes.
I have zero clue about copyright laws.

If you are worried about someone stealing it then sure, it's fine to have that on there.
It's technically copyrighted without you even putting anything on there (in the USA at least) but that doesn't mean someone won't steal it and use it anyway and even photoshop out your name.
A copyright is only as good as your willingness to defend it. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

original to my beetle F engine from 1969, model year 1970 modified for 1966 split bus

For the continuation of the 1300 F engine I created a new thread to counteract the confusion in this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736643

VW exchange beetle H engine from 1967

And another short update on the engine in my bus:
I adjusted the valves and changed the oil on that engine last year and found two not so good things.

The engine had chips in the oil for a long time. After the CB maxi pump 2 was mounted, I didn't have so many chips in the oil anymore and the chips didn't spread all over the engine.
So I could see now that the reason for the chips was the exhaust valve of the 4th cylinder, because under the valve guide there was still a small pile of chips.
The valve guide and the valve are probably defective and must be disassembled.

The second problem I found out while adjusting the valves. The valve clearance on the 1st cylinder was 0mm which can only mean that either the valve has lengthened or the valve seat has shortened.

So the engine must be completely disassembled. But that must wait until I have finished the Beetle engine.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

From post #1 posted in 2017
Quote:
VW exchange beetle H engine from 1967
This engine did run very well the last 5 years, but recently I did found particles in the oil and a nice cover of sludge smear on the drain plate.
It does run awesome but this needs to be addressed, before it is too late.

last weekend, I did pull the engine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope nobody messes up my parts.

Valve guide dropped

and was free floating in the cylinder head

The damage does not look very serious and can hopefully be repaired.

But when I think about how long I've been driving this thing, I get very queasy. Since the first sign of particles in the oil a good 7500km (almost 5000 miles) have passed.
I was really lucky that nothing really broke.
Bummer is, that these heads have been refurbished by a professional shop.

I want to take advantage of the situation and make some other repairs.
The engine gets its original exchange program cylinder heads back (an exchange program engine is nothing without its exchange engine parts) and the crankshaft gasket has to be addressed as well.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

I have cursed a lot the last weeks and the nerves have been raw, but now the bus is running again.

I don't want to annoy you with a lot of details, so here is just a short summary of what I have done in the last 4 weeks.

The cylinder heads mounted so far were put on the shelf and I went for the cylinder heads that originally came with the engine. They engraved an exchange symbol between the combustion chambers.

I had the previous cylinder heads and the exchange cylinder heads overhauled many years ago by the same company for a lot of money.
And although the exchange cylinder heads make a good impression (only optically) I was skeptical because of the valve guide damage on the previous head.

Therefore I dared to do my first valve job.
I followed the instructions from the workshop guide. There are certainly better methods, but it worked very well for me.

Valve guides drilled to 11mm and pressed out with a mandrel.
I got a special drill with 3 cutting edges off ebay for low bucks.

The oversize inlet valve guides used by VW had an invisible undercut. This caused the valve guide to be split in two pieces. Tap were cut in and guide pressed out from the other side with tap still in place.

After all valve guides were removed and I measured the parts, I got the not so unexpected surprise. The drillings of the exhaust valve guides (which were done by this company) were totally messed up. One hole had an inner diameter of 12.35mm, 12.26mm and 12.40mm and looked like an hourglass. The corresponding valve guide had an outer diameter of 12,26mm and would not have lasted long. This was easy to measure, because the guide did not have contact everywhere in the bore, but only had a guide surface of about 10mm.
I cursed like crazy.

To make sure that the hole is more or less straight when reaming, my brother turned a guide to center the reamer. Well, it worked already, but later something was still a little crooked.

Here you can see the first chip and the measly surface that barely held the valve guide.

After reaming:

After all bores were in order, the valve guides were pressed in.
The workshop manual states that the guides must be pressed in with a pressure between 1t and 2t when oiled.
For this I needed some tests.
In the end, the ideal value was 0.05mm to 0.06mm oversize. This resulted in a pressure of 1t for the inlet valve guides and 1.5t for the outlet valve guides.
I turned the valve guides for each hole on a mini-lathe.
disclaimer: that worked for me, but it depends on the roughness of the surfaces and therefore 0.06mm can be too much in other cases.

The aluminium ring prevents the valve guide from being pressed in too far. Since the exchange cylinder heads were reworked in this area, I had to add two shims to get the guides to level.

To cut valve seats with 3 angles was no problem with my Hunger VD1.
I found this tool during a workshop liquidation. Other people looked for the new tools, I looked for old wooden boxes and found this valve seat turning device, among other things.
There I was at the right time at the right place.

New valves and directly fitting valve stem seals for the intakes.

yummy yummy
First valve job on these exchange cylinder heads done.

There is certainly still a lot to be optimized, especially to align the holes of the valve guides exactly to the valve seats, so that the valve seat cutter does not have to remove too much material.
Or I had turned the valve guides at an angle.
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 7-seater/camper: engine dilemma and other fixes (pic heavy) Reply with quote

Then reassemble the engine in reverse order of how I laid out the parts on the floor.

I replaced one of the preheat seals with a seal with a small hole.
I hope I didn't mix up the sides. Tube -> tiny hole ?

I did not create more pictures of the assembly at all.

But since the engine was out anyway, I sealed the rear axle and checked the rear brakes.
All paper gaskets did oil like crazy.
Disassemble everything, degreased the paper gaskets carefully and impregnate with Curil K2.

Quickly cleaned the brakes and inspect the brake cylinder. Like new:

done

Other things I fixed while I was at it:
Got a black period correct coil
Since the cylinders do have 1600 cm³, the engine got the correct carburetor and a recurved low cap 113 K distributor to fit the carb

dry so far

after a 60 miles test-ride today at the TÜV

Unfortunately I did not pass the inspection, because the rear brakes did pull on one side. LOL, I didn't expect that, but it doesn't matter.

From today on my mood is much more positive than the last weeks.
A ride in a repaired bus can work wonders.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: