Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you guys cut cylinders?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

I do the same except chuck jaws are on inside so the cylinder will rest or stop at the jaw and the backing plate is straight and outside the cylinder. The only pressure on the skirt is towards the chuck.

The bullnose w/ the taper will induce strain on the skinny skirt and may start a crack.

It is all up to the machinist of course how to setup his/her style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

Double post--- Edited to nothing...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I always chuck on the inside of the bore also. I also just noticed that is a long cylinder in the picture. I thought it was a puck in the tail-stock. I don't use a bull nose.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

Pics of my method, use indicator on way if you dont have a DRO. Dont have a bull nose center so made a plug to insert into end, this one for 94mm doesn't put a splitting force on the thin wall cylinder like a bull nose center, they are designed for steel pipe /tube, not cast iron sleeve, use care if you use one. Hope this helps, no special fixtures or tools other then the plug and you can make this in a 10 minutes or so.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

I need to install a DRO on my lathe. Why is it better to chuck on the inside of the bore? Less chance for distortion? I assume you use some metal strips between the bore and jaws?
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

I do it because of the large area of the inside jaw that the top of the cylinder sets on, a positive stop, its what you want to measure from, all will be alike then if you cut to the same number, deburr the top of the cyl. top first and make sure the jaw pad is stoned off flat and clean. Not about clamping or distortion you have to be carefull either way, light cuts, cylinder length more important now, some brass shim stock or alum will work, cylinders different length will cause more problems then distortion.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

I guess if you clamp on OD, put a parallel between your cyl end and chuck for a positive stop then remove parallel obviously, its just more hassle this way, I have some lathe chuck parallels or "spiders" they dont fly out. If you have never done this before try on a junk cylinder, I would assume you have a good 3 or 6 jaw chuck with low run-out and understand speeds and feeds, go slow, Good luck
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense to me. Larger surface area bearing on the bore ID vs. OD and also the cylinder end is stopping against the jaws instead of the chuck body.
Yes, I have a good six jaw, I would probably remove three for this job. I've never turned a cyl before, I'll practice on the old ones. I would never be able to even earn the "m" in machinist but I'm learning and I really enjoy it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

In any case the force of the tailstock pushing towards the chuck, and/or the all-thread through the middle, should be providing the majority of the actual gripping force. The chuck jaws are just helping to center it and should not matter if they are inside or outside.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: How do you guys cut cylinders? Reply with quote

I've got some time to think about it until I get my case work done and do a mock-up to finalize deck height. Right now I'm doing a mock-up with the old cyls and heads because some of the tin on the bottom was bent so I need to get that straightened out and then all of it painted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: