Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gearbox tranys
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

I do not presently have a split window Bus but I just ran across two Manx clones with the reduction trannies in them. Is there enough demand for these old Bus transaxles to warrant buying the buggies and selling the trannies? Or is everyone upgrading to trannies without the gear boxes?

Thanks, Merv
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

Those 2 buggies in AB/SK?

If so, the local market represented by the CVVA or EVVA will probably best represent demand for low/high milage, early/late RGB Transaxles.

Kevin

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

Still a good demand for original bus transaxles by all means. Lots of bus owners like myself prefer them and will def buy them. So, YES, go get them!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

Well, are the trannies free? If free and you have space.....People don't really like to pay to ship them. Often they don't want to store them till they need them. Greg had one listed on Craigslist in the LA area for six months for $100. His parents were moving. It sold at the last minute (last year) for $5 and his mom pocketed the cash.
Afterwards people claimed they would have paid $200. Why didn't they?

If you have to pay for these buggies and remove the trannies, I hesitate to recommend doing that. Do you want buggies w/o trannies in your yard? Maybe it's a good place for them to be. Maybe the buggies are awesome.

Then again, there is a bus in your area FS without a tranny.

Check the classifieds for core bus trannies to get a price and a sense of how long the ads have been up.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

I agree with Clara; it all depends on how many you'd have to spend for the buggies vs. the going rate of an RGB trans. I would not pay more than $250 for a drum-to-drum one - and I would have to really need it - since I would consider it a core and have to rebuild it.

Also, are they big- or small-nut RGBs, do they have the bus nosecone, etc.? From what I can tell a lot of people like the big-nut RGB setup for a higher top speed, etc. Some people want stock correct. Hell, there could be a one-off '63 1-ton RGB trans on one of those buggies, which, to the right person, could bring more. But, it all comes down to price for the buggies and hoped-for selling price or those trans...

Good luck.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

This must be a regional thing because RGB transaxles are in demand on the prairies.

Big nut preferred of course, but any RGB transaxle that turns either changes hands privately or is snapped up within days for a few hundred bucks.
More interest in stock height than lowering around here right now.

When shipping costs more than the transaxle, that will put a damper on inter regional trade certainly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

Just saw 1 at a buggy show here in MI. 200$ drum to drum,big nut mainshaft wouldn't turn.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

I got a call today from someone interested in the Buggies so hopefully they are sold as I have too many projects already to start buying stuff to resell.

Yes he is from Alberta and yes he may be pulling the trannies and selling them. I would think that anyone interested in doing up an original Bus would be tripping over themselves trying to be first in line whether they need rebuilding or not! They are getting very rare here. Keep your ears to the ground if you want one they may turn up in the Edmonton area.

I just wanted to see what others temperature was on them and I see a few of the real Bus fans came out of the woodwork. Thanks Guys!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

I saw your other thread on the buggies. if you are having to pay $2000 per buggy, your best bet is to sell the buggies complete. a gear redux tranny is only going to get you a few hundred in unknown condition, big nut or small nut. so like others said in your other thread sell the buggies complete rolling condition.
that will be your best profit margin.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

Maybe it's a regional thing. I got a bit excited because it has been over 25 years since I have seen an old Bus reduction box transaxle in anything in these parts. I was looking for one about 8 years ago to put in my sand rail and could not find one in any condition.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gearbox tranys Reply with quote

rare here also, but they are hard to sell also, big and heavy
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: