Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowshoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

I have used the Castrol 0w-40 in my old Subaru and had good luck with it. I have been thinking of using it in the Eurovan 12v vr6. Does anybody else have any feedback on it? I have noticed a bit of consumption with the M1.

Thanks!!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

I tried running 5-40 Motul & Lubrimoly in my '93 weekender with the inline 5 but when temps hit 90*+ I was constantly plagued with an oil pressure light, dumped the cheap 20-50 (20-50 suggested in the owners manual for "desert conditions") in it & it was happy again, oh well.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

MOBIL ONE in all my cars and plow truck
Roby466
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

I have been using Liqui Moly Synthoil 5w40 in all my cars for a while.
I currently have an 03 Eurovan (just got it and it came with Castrol synthetic from the VW dealer, I will change to Liqui Moly at the next oil change), an 04 Land Rover Discovery 4.6, and 85 Porsche 930

and I was using it before in my allroad 2.7t and Land Rover Defender 110 with td5 diesel engine. It has always served me great, not leaked too much and no slugging, plus it's made in Germany.

Main reason for using it other than it being recommended by my local Audi/Porsche mechanic was that it was good for both a diesel and gas engines so with the Defender, it was great. Also Liqui Moly agreed to give me the ZDDP additive specs, old aircooled Porsche cars need high levels of ZDDP so having an oil that worked for all my cars was great, I even put it in my Honda lawn mower. It still meets all specs for the Eurovan and Discovery now so I have no reason to change. Other than maybe the cost, it is a bit pricey.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RZAReuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

Hello we just purchased 2002 Eurovan with 140k miles. What oil would you guys recommend me to use? Engine has a minor oil leak. Thank you
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

There are five good products referenced upthread.

Regular changes are more important than brand / type.

Do use a good full synthetic , though.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

What are most of you running in your 5 cylinder vans? I believe my last change i used mobile 5w30 synthetic. Also can't remember exactly how many quarts it takes. Any help is appreciated
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

I use Mobil 1 but here are ALL of your options:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Eurovan_T4--5cyl/Maintenance/Engine/Oil/
mastersryan!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Amazon Basics oil?
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

mastersryan! wrote:
Has anyone tried the Amazon Basics oil?

I am curious about this too. They have 10W-40 synthetic blend that I was looking at. 5W for 25 year old tired motor seems a bit too thin.
BatesEV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-11-02/synthetic-word-relates-motor-oil

It’s a good read on the term synthetic used here in the US. European standards for synthetic are group 4 and 5. All my cars I’ve always used Motul VW specific 5w40. After tearing down my 400hp track GTI I was sold.
EurovanPete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

I wouldn’t say it’s an engine that’s never been scene in any other VW. It’s a 5cl arguably similar to other 5cyl or 4cyl VW engines, or 12/24v vr6 same as the rest of the mk3 and mk4 they being said as most VW people way way way over think this, I use Mobil 1 0w-40. Or another 5w40 if I get a better deal. Oem filters preferred
VolksVelo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

EurovanPete wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s an engine that’s never been scene in any other VW. It’s a 5cl arguably similar to other 5cyl or 4cyl VW engines, or 12/24v vr6 same as the rest of the mk3 and mk4 they being said as most VW people way way way over think this, I use Mobil 1 0w-40. Or another 5w40 if I get a better deal. Oem filters preferred

I'm using the same oil grade 0-40... may I ask how often do you change your oil? Thanks
EurovanPete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

VolksVelo wrote:
EurovanPete wrote:

I'm using the same oil grade 0-40... may I ask how often do you change your oil? Thanks
. Between 4-5k miles.
VanGeek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Oil preferences/opinions Reply with quote

Just completed my first oil change this Spring and used Valvoline Synthetic 5W-40. I prefer to have my oil analyzed by Blackstone, and will report back after my next oil change.

On my other vehicles, Blackstone have provided a good analysis about oil usage and if the intervals can go longer or not. IMO it's worth the cost b/c they provide insights about both the engine and the oil.

Here's an example from my Ford CMax Plugin-Hybrid. This vehicle has very long intervals and the reports suggest I could go longer. Obviously will not go nearly as far with the VR6 Eurovan -- anticipate I will change and sample at 3-5K miles.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: