Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

I want to re-chrome my door handles. Both have locks, I have the original key. I was able to disassemble the handle but cannot separate the push button from its housing. It appears they were pressed on. Is there a technique to separating the push button from its inner housing. Once this is done is the black plastic between the push button and housing available as shown in the picture? The picture was taken before I dis-assembled the handle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

I can't guarantee this because I've only done it on a 67, but there should be a small pin you need to drive out of the end piece. After that you just slide the lock cylinder out. Be careful not to lose the spring that centers the cylinder.

I think this is what you were asking, if not then feel free to ignore!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As for the black plastic, dunno.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

I made a pair of those little buffer gaskets from simple sheet rubber. I used an old broken one as a pattern- and cut the inner square out before trimming to the outside shape. I just checked WW's site to make sure they still did not have them. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

Look in my gallery, the pictures show you how to do it.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

Keith

Thx I used your photos to get where I’m at. My problem among many is the push button itself. I cannot get the actual push button off to send to chrome. It has that black plastic separator then the housing. Your pictures were the best but now I’m stuck. May just have to find a non-pitted decent chrome push button
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

Question - have you got a price on rechroming?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: How do you dis-assemble the push button from its housing? Reply with quote

Yea. The handles cheap to do but if I get that part re-chromed but leave a potted push button will look sub-par. I guess you don’t re-chrome that piece? Or I find a push button in good shape. Kinda stuck here. Advice?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: