Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Iīm going to need a couple of new cylinder and piston sets for one of my late A motors (1959) and an early B motor (1960), donīt mind standard versions, can anyone suggest an inexpensive option (donīt think chinese though) and where to get them?
Pelican use to have a run from time to time, $600-$700 a set but right now I seem to have overslept most of it there.

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited by dennis 356 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total
captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new unexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

https://aapistons.com/collections/piston-liner-kit...linder-kit

these seem to be good. And are recommended by some builders over on the 356registry site as a good cheaper set. I run them without problems.

but they are probably of the asian variety.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new unexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

Chinese AA or QSC for $400 or so unless you want to spend $3-$4k on LN Nickies or Mahle. There is also another vendor, Shasta, that offers a set for $1500.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

I've got the QSC in my engine and bought AA for my latest build.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
I've got the QSC in my engine and bought AA for my latest build.

Thanks Matt, so you seem being satisfied with both of the brands Pelican sells?
Well, to tell you the trues, Iīm leaning against one of these as well as I donīt think my engines will ever run in a car as long Iīm alive (no car) and if they would, I wouldnīt be conducting any racing or spirited driving either. Am just playing with the engines wishing to learn and wanting to get them together, and for that, I donīt think I need any sets for $2500/piece.

Dennis
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

Don't let a Porsche motor just sit, buy a VW Bug or Karman Ghia and stick it in there, bolts right in with a few mods to throttle cable and exhaust.
dennis 356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Don't let a Porsche motor just sit, buy a VW Bug or Karman Ghia and stick it in there, bolts right in with a few mods to throttle cable and exhaust.

Hi Starbucket,

Thanks for the heads up but have four engines so thatīs going to be a problem.
But is it really that bloody, I mean it is not exactly about a fresh meat getting bad when out of a freezer, but metal marinated in fresh oil and some turns by hand from time to time.....
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

dennis 356 wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Hi Starbucket,

Thanks for the heads up but have four engines so thatīs going to be a problem.
But is it really that bloody, I mean it is not exactly about a fresh meat getting bad when out of a freezer, but metal marinated in fresh oil and some turns by hand from time to time.....

The problem is some valves will be open at least a little at all times letting moisture in to corrode the valve seats/valve and possible rust on cly. walls. Just turning it will not oil the upper end as it gets oil from the crank throw-off and only the oil passage supplied bearings will get oil. They do have motor fogger that you spray in plug holes and seal up all openings and don't turn it for long term storage.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new unexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
Chinese AA or .......

Fred and I have used AA P&C's for several VW builds and one 912 build.
I always have my rotating assemblies balanced by Ron Derry, who is top of his craft.
He has told me on more than one occasion that the AA pistons I have brought him are so close in weight that often times he doesn't need to touch them.
That, coupled with zero issues after running them on numerous engines makes me an AA cheerleader.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

Are Kolbenschmitts (?) any good???

-c-
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

The BEST P&C's are "Nickies" by LN Engineering, but they are pricey, but Hay!, it's a Porsche so $$ means nothing, you just want the best.
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

I asked 2 posts back about Kolbenschmitt p&c's, as I have a set I bought in 1972 or 73. #150.00, still in the original (rotting to pieces) box.
Not for sale, but I wonder how rings might be, I never 'unrapped' them. Keeping them in case I ever need 'em in my '64 C Cab. (Reutter hardtop!)
Had a bunch of extra money back then & I got a whole lotta stuff. This was just when europian stuff prices skyrocketed. Have pressure plate, throwout bearings <- 2 diff styles? & etc etc

jes' bragging, I guess, , , , ,

-c-
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips on a good new inexpensive piston&cylinder set? Reply with quote

cornemuse wrote:
I asked 2 posts back about Kolbenschmitt p&c's, as I have a set I bought in 1972 or 73. #150.00, still in the original (rotting to pieces) box.
Not for sale, but I wonder how rings might be, I never 'unrapped' them. Keeping them in case I ever need 'em in my '64 C Cab. (Reutter hardtop!)
Had a bunch of extra money back then & I got a whole lotta stuff. This was just when europian stuff prices skyrocketed. Have pressure plate, throwout bearings <- 2 diff styles? & etc etc

jes' bragging, I guess, , , , ,

-c-

If they are forged pistons they are top quality, cast are cheap heavy pistons, they made both. You are sitting on a pile of gold. I bought Total Seal top rings for my new pistons that I'm gonna put in. Your rings were coated at the factory so unless they got wet they will be fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: