Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 73 Standard Beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm new here, long time lurker, first time poster. Here are some bad pictures of my daily driver.

I was a bit paranoid about posting it here after seeing the Frankenbus torn apart recently, hopefully an eagle eyed person here doesn't reveal anything bad about it to me. What I don't know won't hurt me :p

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I bought it in June of 2017. It came with the original bill of sale, original manual, and all of the receipts from the partial restoration. I am very happy with it Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Looks beautiful! Love the color!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Looks beautiful! Love the color!

Thank you! The color is a big reason why I chose it, or it chose me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Very clean looking car! Congrats. Love the color too. My first bug was the same color. Back then I didn't care for it, but now love it. Be good to the car and it will be good to you. Welcome!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Very nice and very correct....

What's with the single exhaust tip? What are you hiding Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Very nice and very correct....

What's with the single exhaust tip? What are you hiding Wink

Thank you.

For some reason the owner who did the restoration did GT EURO LOOK SINGLE TIP EMPI exhaust. No clue why. Probably because it was cheaper.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

The dash is really clean. I have a 74 so i know how easily they crack over the years.

How about a engine shot?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Fuel filter is right behind the distributor. Gotta move that up to the gas tank.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Comments....

The air cleaner and distributor are wrong. It has a 34PICT-3 carb and will run much better with a 034 vacuum/mechanical distributor.

The blue coil is not really a problem, but if you paint it black it will look stock.

The generator needs to be rotated 90* clockwise. There's a air duct inside the fan shroud which cools the generator and it's turned the wrong way.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Comments....

The air cleaner and distributor are wrong. It has a 34PICT-3 carb and will run much better with a 034 vacuum/mechanical distributor.

The blue coil is not really a problem, but if you paint it black it will look stock.

The generator needs to be rotated 90* clockwise. There's a air duct inside the fan shroud which cools the generator and it's turned the wrong way.

Are there any particular models you recommend for air cleaner and distributor?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Stock air filter.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2051396

The correct distributor is a 0231 170 034.

I restore them but am currently out of stock. Bill also restored them and here's a link to his ad:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2152495

Stay away from aftermarket distributors.. they are poor quality and do not work like the original Bosch.

Here's a stock 74 engine. Only difference is a alternator vs a generator and the addition of a EGR system.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Is the 34PICT-3 carburetor stock to a standard 73 Beetle?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

thomasb wrote:
Is the 34PICT-3 carburetor stock to a standard 73 Beetle?

Yes.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you for the guidance!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

It's also missing the connection to the charcoal canister in the right rear fender. There's a hose that runs from the nipple on the upper right of the fan shroud to the canister. And then another that runs from the canister to the stock air cleaner.

Also the bolts that hold the generator backing plate are painted black and they should not be painted. That along with the generator needing to turn 90* makes me thing that the engine have been worked on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Got the right air cleaner assembly. Haven't got everything hooked up yet though.

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Rotate that Generator, You will thank us later. Nice car, Love the color.
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

lovethatconvertible wrote:
Rotate that Generator, You will thank us later. Nice car, Love the color.

Working on it! Thank you
thomasb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Air cleaner hooked up 100% properly.

I need to rotate the generator, rebuild the carburetor, and get the right distributor.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My 73 Standard Beetle Reply with quote

Love the stock bug! I'm a purist and like VW's the way the came from the factory.

I do have a restored German Bosch 034 for sale but haven't listed it. These distributors were fitted on 1974 model bugs. A 1973 bug would of had a 113905025AN fitted. It's a DVDA (dual vacuum, dual advance) distributor. If you're a purist, I can sell you one of those restored too.

Now, make the decision of which distributor you want to run BEFORE restoring your carb. There were several versions of the German Solex 34-3 carbs made. The vast majority we made for DVDA distributors. There was also the SVDA German Solex 34-3 carbs too. If you have a original German Solex carb, it will have a flange number at the base of the carb. Something like 377-1. Post that number here and we can tell you which one you have. Tim at Volkzbitz.com restores and sells the German Solex carbs. He can restore yours and set it up to work with the distributor you want to run.

Glenn is 100% correct. You have the absolute worst carb/distributor combo for a bug. They are known for horrible off idle hesitations and flat spots while accelerating. You'll love how your VW runs/drives with a matching restored carb and distributor.

I also sell restored German Pierburg fuel pumps too. They are miles ahead in quality vs. that aftermarket fuel pump you're running. They put out the correct fuel pressure and have securing pins on the rockers. I run them on all three of my VW's.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127440

These pumps also look correct on a stock VW engine. Here's a pic of my restored 69 bug engine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: