Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I fix this?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Beatles beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

My 71' super has this ding on the roof, how do I fix it without using bondo?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

picture of the outside?
fightclub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

if that bulge in the head liner is the "ding", id say use a stud gun and slide hammer to pull it out. wont be perfect but will get you close enough for minimal body filler.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

Unless you were the cause of that- I'd expect most of us should go out to the garage and check out our own cars for a similar seam and crease combo. Each of the 4 bugs in my grouping have a dimple (albeit smaller) just behind the welded seam. I'm attributing it to the aggressive roof stamping clamping welding process.

There's no way to do bodywork on that part and not have paint match issues that far exceed the discussion about filler.

I agree with your wife- you are the ONLY one that knows that's there. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
The Beatles beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

fightclub wrote:
if that bulge in the head liner is the "ding", id say use a stud gun and slide hammer to pull it out. wont be perfect but will get you close enough for minimal body filler.

It's not that, it's on the seam
The Beatles beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Unless you were the cause of that- I'd expect most of us should go out to the garage and check out our own cars for a similar seam and crease combo. Each of the 4 bugs in my grouping have a dimple (albeit smaller) just behind the welded seam. I'm attributing it to the aggressive roof stamping clamping welding process.

There's no way to do bodywork on that part and not have paint match issues that far exceed the discussion about filler.

I agree with your wife- you are the ONLY one that knows that's there. Cool

I'm planning on painting the whole car, so the paint match wouldn't be a big problem
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

Maybe pull the headliner down and use some lead .
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I fix this? Reply with quote

epoxie.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: