Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DPD overhead A/C in an early bay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

honestly, if I were you I would have the fans come on with the system. every electric fan cooled car does that the second it's switched on. easier to get a consistent idle when everything is loaded electrically instead of having the idle hunt every time the fan kicks on

Would make my wiring a lot simpler too, I might just go ahead and do that
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

honestly, if I were you I would have the fans come on with the system. every electric fan cooled car does that the second it's switched on. easier to get a consistent idle when everything is loaded electrically instead of having the idle hunt every time the fan kicks on

Would make my wiring a lot simpler too, I might just go ahead and do that

the ICE kit I put in putt-n's bus did that and was a copy of the dpd under dash unit.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

Refering to having a box of R12, big brother says I can own it, but only sell it to certified users, or to a purchaser that only intends to resell. (with a written statement of such)
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

Changed the schematic around to make the condenser fan come on with the compressor signal, and moved the fuses downstream of the relay since the fan and clutch pull different amp loads.
Honestly I hate the fusebox I have and I'm thinking about just making a small L bracket to hang the relay pair on the engine firewall. I wanted a tidy look but VW makes it hard to make ANYTHING look OE if it's not!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Refering to having a box of R12, big brother says I can own it, but only sell it to certified users, or to a purchaser that only intends to resell. (with a written statement of such)

Hey man! I'm not sure where you got your information from, but it doesn't seem accurate. Quoting from the EPA website https://www.epa.gov/section608/refrigerant-sales-restriction,
"The sales restriction is established by EPA regulations (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F) under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act. Only EPA-certified technicians are allowed to purchase ozone-depleting substances (ODS) used as refrigerants. Technicians may be certified under either the Section 608 or Section 609 technician certification programs. Starting on January 1, 2018, the requirements discussed on this page will also apply to most substitute refrigerants, including HFCs."

I'm not in the auto or HVAC industry so I don't have any inside knowledge. I am 609 certified to work on mobile a/c since 2011 (although that doesn't really amount to a hill of beans).
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Hey man! I'm not sure where you got your information from, but it doesn't seem accurate. Quoting from the EPA website https://www.epa.gov/section608/refrigerant-sales-restriction,
"The sales restriction is established by EPA regulations (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F) under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act. Only EPA-certified technicians are allowed to purchase ozone-depleting substances (ODS) used as refrigerants. Technicians may be certified under either the Section 608 or Section 609 technician certification programs. Starting on January 1, 2018, the requirements discussed on this page will also apply to most substitute refrigerants, including HFCs."

I'm not in the auto or HVAC industry so I don't have any inside knowledge. I am 609 certified to work on mobile a/c since 2011 (although that doesn't really amount to a hill of beans).

my understanding also is that you have to hold the certificate. There are some online classes. If one purges it then one must own certified recovery equipment. Where it goes downhill is if someone sees someone working with it or releasing it, the penalties are like the end of ones career. Besides, the older refrigerants are so expensive.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

not to derail the thread any further....

yes, you need the cert to purchase quantities of refrigerant greater than the stupid shaker cans autozone sells. which is bullshit seeing any schmuck that watched some youtube hero dink with the system can buy it.

venting to atmosphere and getting caught will ruin your life. you may as well have raped and murdered your neighbor because the penalties are about the same.

what's even more obscene than that is, you can LEGALLY charge a known leaking system by federal guidelines. unless your local government prohibits it, the feds say it's ok, but "not recommended"

MACS and EPA got my $$ so everyone else can pollute Rolling Eyes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: DPD overhead A/C in an early bay Reply with quote

Glad to see you're making progress on the AC system again, Robert. Couple of suggestions to add to your wiring diagram, from my own experience with the DPD overhead system:

1) Split the compressor start signal to each of the fan switches and use a diode between each fan switch and the start signal. This will allow the compressor to run with either the left, right, or both fans running inside the bus. The overhead system puts a lot of cold air in your face, and sometimes I have found that I just have to turn the driver side fan completely off, if your passenger wants to run their side on full blast. It gets too cold inside otherwise.

2) Put a 3 second delay timer on your main power circuit. This will allow you to leave all your AC switch settings, just the way you like them, and start/stop the engine without changing anything when you're making short trips. The delay timer will give just enough time for your engine to start and settle into steady idle before it gets socked with the electrical demands of your AC system and the extra load of the compressor. I described this circuit in my AC build thread

Adding DPD overhead Air Conditioning to a type 2 Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: