Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Brilliant...love it Dwayne. Very Happy

The fact that it rides and drives so well won't come as a surprise to anyone who has watched this restoration over the last 4 years...your meticulous attention to detail is a glowing example to everyone.

The ride height looks perfect.

Soooo...Vintage Speed or DKP? Wink

Old DKp inspired. 69 mm SPG roller crank, 92mm thick wall barrels, ported heads by Performance Workshop and dual Zenith 32 NDIX, Dog house with T4 cooler. Someday A-type 4 conversion may go in. Transmission will be a combination of super street and freeway flyer. I am looking at AC industries front desk break package
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Quote:
The fact that it rides and drives so well won't come as a surprise to anyone who has watched this restoration over the last 4 years...your meticulous attention to detail is a glowing example to everyone.

The ride height looks perfect.

This.

Quote:
Old DKp inspired. 69 mm SPG roller crank, 92mm thick wall barrels, ported heads by Performance Workshop and dual Zenith 32 NDIX, Dog house with T4 cooler

Nice mix of old school roller crank,Tims heads and big cooler. More pics/info on the motor please, I think you have been keeping this part a secret.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Just started the other day Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ekip58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
I was watching some videos about window installation the other day. Didn't look too bad but I know how things go for me so I decided to test fit all the chrome around the door and rear quarter windows.
Good thing I did. That design with the screws into the body and the heads in the slot is not good. Two pieces went in OK but the other two needed a lot of work before the chrome would go into place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Dwayne, this is just an amazing build all I can say is wow!
Mine is still under works. just trying to complete some parts.

Quick question with regards to chrome around the door and rear quarter windows are these original from the car or fabricated. I am looking for a set Smile maybe you can forward me to the people who still makes them. Thanks!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

It is all original
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe you can forward me to the people who still makes them. Thanks!

lol, nobody. Very Happy
a good source...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=39
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

KGPR has them rechromed and used. They even repop the door moldings.

http://www.karmannghia.com/standard/search?type=Inventory+Item&q=window+chrome

http://www.karmannghia.com/standard/search?type=Inventory+Item&q=door+scraper

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

After driving the lil gal a few times I decided it needed a few changes. I put in a full sync tranny with much bigger brakes.
I also added the SoCalParts wide five disc kit which does not change the width of the track. Needless to say it stops a little bit better.
I am learning how to build a motor, I hope successfully. I am trying to give it an old school look but as usual this car continues to fight me every inch of the way so the motor will end up like it ends up.
For now the lil 36hp is back in. Keep the revs under 4k, takes a while to get up to highway speed but once there she cruises like a dream. Oil temps stay on the low side so far.
Need to remove the steering wheel and add a better lubricant to the steering column bearing as it howls like a banchee when I turn.
Best riding VW I have ever owned and super quiet. I even had the little blaupunkt crackling Smile
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Took a little drive the other day to the Phoenix Club Treffen Smile

Not a bad day. The lil gal runs like a top.
She is not getting driven too much, may need to find her a new home.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Nice car, the white walls look fantastic.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:

No manufacturer makes a WIDE white radial and the whitewall that is available not only is not that wide but is VERY expensive. So I made my own. I have tried several methods and what I will describe is the best I have found so far.
I took a small table top belt sander and took off the belt. I pushed the drive roller up against the tire and let the tire rotate with the car jacked up. I always used a front tire location for ease of spinning. I then took my grinder with a sanding flap disc and sanded off all the lettering in the area I wanted to be whitewall. This leaves the area smooth but with just enough bite to allow the white to stick.
I have tried several types of paints and Plastidip and they all cracked or pealed off. This time I decided to try the Flex Seal you see on TV. After taping off the tire and wheel I sprayed the area with multiple thin coats moving the spray can very fast.
So far I have driven the car a couple hundred miles and no sign of cracking or pealing.
The only downside with this method is that the solvents in the spray do leach out the black dies from the tire and over time the white can yellow a bit. Letting the tire sit for a couple days between the light coats does seem to help. Older tires seem to have gassed out some of the chemicals and don't leach out as much.
The up side, I have WIDE whites that get tons of compliments even when the person is standing right next to the car. All for $30 dollars. If the whitewall gets scuffed or dirty or eventually yellows, just clean it up and respray.
So there you have it, Beautiful WIDE whitewalls for $30 dollars.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
CiderGuy wrote:

No manufacturer makes a WIDE white radial and the whitewall that is available not only is not that wide but is VERY expensive. So I made my own. I have tried several methods and what I will describe is the best I have found so far.
I took a small table top belt sander and took off the belt. I pushed the drive roller up against the tire and let the tire rotate with the car jacked up. I always used a front tire location for ease of spinning. I then took my grinder with a sanding flap disc and sanded off all the lettering in the area I wanted to be whitewall. This leaves the area smooth but with just enough bite to allow the white to stick.
I have tried several types of paints and Plastidip and they all cracked or pealed off. This time I decided to try the Flex Seal you see on TV. After taping off the tire and wheel I sprayed the area with multiple thin coats moving the spray can very fast.
So far I have driven the car a couple hundred miles and no sign of cracking or pealing.
The only downside with this method is that the solvents in the spray do leach out the black dies from the tire and over time the white can yellow a bit. Letting the tire sit for a couple days between the light coats does seem to help. Older tires seem to have gassed out some of the chemicals and don't leach out as much.
The up side, I have WIDE whites that get tons of compliments even when the person is standing right next to the car. All for $30 dollars. If the whitewall gets scuffed or dirty or eventually yellows, just clean it up and respray.
So there you have it, Beautiful WIDE whitewalls for $30 dollars.

Very impressive. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

I was able to check this Ghia out a week ago and the white walls look great! If Dwayne hadn't told me he painted the white on I wouldn't have known. You did a fantastic job on this car Dwayne!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Well, the poor little gal has only been driven a few times so I placed a For Sale ad in the Ghia section. She needs some road time.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

This car will be someones "Happy Place." Excellent work.

cheers,
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Looking for opinions on the value of this car
Thanks
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Took the lil gal out of the garage again today.
Went to the Rare Vintage Air VW d’Elegance Car Show in Huntington Beach.
She got First in Class Dancing Stock Ghia
A beautiful day in Sunny SoCal Cool
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Well the other day I thought the poor little gal was blowing up.
When I started it I heard all sorts of racket sounding like large metal bits flying around.
Quickly determined that the ignition switch was continuing to send power to the solenoid which was banging around on the flywheel gear.
Took it apart and discovered that it was full of carbon. There is actually a little pit in the area right behind where the contact is made to engage starter and it was completely full of the slag which I cleaned out.
Very simple design internally, one thick brass plate with three fingers and just a few springs. Full turn and the 3rd finger contacts the pin that sends power to the solenoid, let off and the two other arms power the car. Except for the carbon it looked great inside.
I annealed the housing where the tabs fold down, popped it together, pressed the tabs in and it is tighter than before.
Sorry no picts as I was in a rush trying to save work time for the day but if you have ever tried to work on a lowlight ignition switch that ties into the choke cable and your hands are too big, well you know.
Also put in some very nice looking Coco Mats in the front. I will try to get some picts soon.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Been tinkering again... Cool
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: DJ's Oct '58 Coupe - Motor '57 Reply with quote

Coco mats I recently installed.

Getting the run stand ready to setup the Zeniths. I will be using an AFM gauge to help me figure out what the motor needs.
I just finished building a manual idle stop for the carbs that will use the stock choke cable.
Once that is done the motor goes in plus the rear will get disc brakes to keep up with the fronts. A rear camber compensator will be installed to help the twisties.
Last will be some wider smoothies on the rear with new tires all around. Still haven’t found a white wall as wide as I want so I will probably go with Hillbilly Whitewalls again.
After all that my vision will be complete, then Bring a Trailer....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: