Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken engine stud.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloridaRunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

One of the two bottom studs that bolt my 1600 engine to the trani is broken flush with the engine. What is the best way to get the old one out and a new one in? Is it threaded in the engine end or what? Is it possible to use a screw/bolt extractor or something similar and where can I get a new one? Any help would be appreciated.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Well, probably it would just break off a stud remover. They do un-screw. I would just drill it out and re-tap it. Those are 10mm I think. It would be a lot easier with the engine out. The case holes for the lower studs are blind and the studs thread in about 3/4". Maybe- wait till the engine needs to come out for some other reason. I would not be popping the clutch in the meantime!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

I would only do this with the engine out. If the case is apart do it on a drill press. File a small spot on the center of the stud if any protrudes. Punch the center with a center punch. With maybe a 1/8" high carbon or titanium coated drill bit drill slowly thru the center of the stud SLOWLY, keep oil on the bit to keep it cool. Try to keep it centered best you can. Probably you will feel the bit begin to pass out of the steel as you pass thru the bit. Stop. Inspect the hole to see how centered it was. Use the next size drill to enlarge that hole. Then the next. Just before you drill into any threads, stop and gently try an easy out or extractor. DO NOT turn so hard you break the extractor tool off or you will really be down the creek. Usually at this point the remnants of the stud will come out. I'd put some penetrating oil on it as well to see if that helps but the interaction between a steel stud and aluminum is not as affected by penetrating oil as steel on steel.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

I would start by hitting it day after day with a quality penetrant. Depending on how much of the stud is sticking out of the engine, you might be able to pull the engine back enough to get vice grips on the remainder of the stud and turn it out. If that will not work then you will have to remove the engine and drill as others have suggested. It is big enough so that you can use a fairly hefty easy out so I would suspect it will come out. If you drill all the way through the length of the stud you will be able to get penetrant to the back side of the stud as well.

If it is broken off flush or slightly proud, you could have someone weld a nut on it for you which would give you something to grab at with your vice grips.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If it is broken off flush or slightly proud, you could have someone weld a nut on it for you which would give you something to grab at with your vice grips.

this is a good way also IF it is flush or protruding enough to slip a nut over it. It can be more complex if you don't have experience with a wire welder.

example :

Link

FloridaRunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. The engine is out so that will make it easier. Since it broke off flush with the engine I think I'll start with a center punch to make a small indentation and use a small drill, maybe 1/8", and work my way up from there. I did get a stand because I have a lot of work to do and bending over to work on the engine on the floor didn't sound like too much fun especially for my back. I'll just take it slow and use a lot of penetrating oil and I'll eventually get it out I hope. I was hoping I could use an extractor but I'm glad I didn't because of the possibility of breaking it off. That would have been a bummer... Thanks again to everyone. Ed Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

FloridaRunner wrote:
Thanks for all the information. The engine is out so that will make it easier. Since it broke off flush with the engine I think I'll start with a center punch to make a small indentation and use a small drill, maybe 1/8", and work my way up from there. I did get a stand because I have a lot of work to do and bending over to work on the engine on the floor didn't sound like too much fun especially for my back. I'll just take it slow and use a lot of penetrating oil and I'll eventually get it out I hope. I was hoping I could use an extractor but I'm glad I didn't because of the possibility of breaking it off. That would have been a bummer... Thanks again to everyone. Ed Smile

I've broken easy outs twice in my life and regretted it both times. Most are really high carbon steel - you can drop one and it will shatter. Once they break off in a hole life can get more complicated, especially if the engine is still in the car.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

FloridaRunner wrote:
Since it broke off flush with the engine I think I'll start with a center punch to make a small indentation and use a small drill, maybe 1/8", and work my way up from there.

You've got the right idea. The key is starting that first hole in the center of the stud, and drilling it plumb (parallel with the stud profile). This will enable you to go larger and larger on bits until you're darn near kissing the crests of the case threads. At that point, penetrant is irrelevant most of the time, as the leftover threads of the stud usually start falling out. That's when you know you've nailed it!
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

And don't break off your drill bit,it may fetch up as you go thru the bottom of the stud.Good luck.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Left hand drill bits and extractors are available at your local auto parts store.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Those lower motor studs can be really tight. I have taken a few good ones out. If the case is holding them the way it should you're going to need 40 or 50-foot lbs to start one turning.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Work your hole up to the largest size you can and then take a pencil torch (oxy-propane or oxy-act) and heat the piece as hot as you can. With luck it will screw right out once it cools.
FloridaRunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

After applying generous amounts of penetrating oil to the end of the broken stud for over a week I came up with a new idea which I just tried. I took my Dremel and used an old reinforced cutting wheel about the size of a dime and cut a slot in the broken end of the stud. Since it was flush with the surface I got a little outside the hole. I used a screwdriver with a blade about the same size as the diameter of the stud and tried to turn it but it didn't budge. On the second try I pushed in hard and got a firm grip on the screwdriver and dog gone, it started to turn. After a few turns it was lose enough to take it the rest of the way out by hand. It was clear that the penetrating oil had gotten all the way down to the other end so it was fully lubricated. I'll attach a picture of the part of the stud I got out. (sorry, can't get photo to up load. I'll keep trying.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by FloridaRunner on Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

good job, I'll bet you are glad that is over.
FloridaRunner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Yes, I an glad that is done. I don't know how I thought of that solution. I'm sure it is not original. I hope my post helps others with the same or similar problem.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

FloridaRunner wrote:
Yes, I an glad that is done. I don't know how I thought of that solution. I'm sure it is not original. I hope my post helps others with the same or similar problem.

it is not original but one of many fixes. You were creative and that counts. Keep it in your bag of tricks Smile . Often that stud is really in there.

Once when I was quite young I broke a stud of on an exhaust manifold trying to get it out. Frustrated I spoke with a friend who looked at it. The tops of the studs were open too and I had sprayed wd-40 on them with no luck, same on the nuts. He suggested using "Penetrating Oil." I had seen the cans but didn't know much about it but I gave it a try. Sat overnight. The next day the remaining 3 nuts came off quite easy. Then to my amazement the stud I had broken unscrewed simply with my fingers - no wrench. It had been tight enough to snap but with the liquid Wrench it was just finger tight. Penetrating oil has phosphoric acid in it that makes the red rust molecules turn into black rust molecules. Black rust molecules are smaller than red rust molecules. So the oil makes the rust swelling go down enough that it may work.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

I use left hand bits for all the drilling chores of busted stud removal. If you get it center punched accuratly, and maintain center, you cab gradually work up the drill size and the remains will unscrew.
Plenty of pb blaster helps.
If you get it right, you may not even need to chase the threads...
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken engine stud. Reply with quote

Nice one! Breaking off a stud like that means it's time to clean up the shop, have a beer before brute force and ignorance take over. I've done the screwdriver slot thing but never on a stud broken off flush.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: