Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Start on a stand
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastomas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Start on a stand Reply with quote

'74 Westy, 1800, stock duals.
I'd like to be set up to start my engine on a stand. I want to set up the starter, but don't have a bell housing to hold the starter.
Can I use just about any bell housing to do this, or do I rig something up?
Thanks!

'74 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

Someone in the classified sells a starter holder that makes a nice run stand (search classifieds for "run stand"). I use an old empty transmission case. Note the bar which holds a start/stop switch, start button, oil light, gen light, and a regulator.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

I like the fact that this tests the generator too.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
telford dorr wrote:

Telford got tired of using his tongue to test the generator. In fact after so many tests he simply forgot he was using his tongue and had to rig something else.

Telford in a movie testing a radio. He uses the same technique testing engines, Robbie and Gary come over and get ready to catch him if there is a short circuit. Smile

Telford you know we adore you and your work Smile (The guy is an electronics genius.)
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

It's actually set up to run either a generator or an alternator. The regulator is a 30 amp unit, so it also is usable with a 38 amp generator. Note the black and yellow wire pair near the regulator? They go to the alternator on this engine. The regulator wires are unconnected. Also note the big-assed (250,000 uf, IIRC) capacitor in the space where the differential would go (you can barely see it). It substitutes for the battery. You can jump this setup off of a battery to get it started, then disconnect the jumpers. (This saves from having to pull a battery out of something to test run an engine.) The capacitor fills in for the battery and keeps everything happy, running straight from the generator or alternator. Note: do not try this on an alternator engine without the capacitor. An alternator will overvoltage and die!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Telford got tired of using his tongue to test the generator. In fact after so many tests he simply forgot he was using his tongue and had to rig something else.

Actually, the tongue burnt off...

Quote:
Telford in a movie testing a radio. He uses the same technique testing engines, Robbie and Gary come over and get ready to catch him if there is a short circuit. Smile

No, they just stand in the background and laugh hysterically...

Quote:
(The guy is an electronics genius.)

Hardly. I just have some experience with this stuff. ("Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when you're making it again.")
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Actually, the tongue burnt off...

Quote:

No, they just stand in the background and laugh hysterically...

Quote:
(The guy is an electronics genius.)

Hardly. I just have some experience with this stuff. ("Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake when you're making it again.")

Smile Smile Smile Smile
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

This is who I got mine from

https://www.google.com/search?q=zalex&ie=UTF-8...Industries
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
It's actually set up to run either a generator or an alternator. The regulator is a 30 amp unit, so it also is usable with a 38 amp generator. Note the black and yellow wire pair near the regulator? They go to the alternator on this engine. The regulator wires are unconnected. Also note the big-assed (250,000 uf, IIRC) capacitor in the space where the differential would go (you can barely see it). It substitutes for the battery. You can jump this setup off of a battery to get it started, then disconnect the jumpers. (This saves from having to pull a battery out of something to test run an engine.) The capacitor fills in for the battery and keeps everything happy, running straight from the generator or alternator. Note: do not try this on an alternator engine without the capacitor. An alternator will overvoltage and die!

Pretty sharp....I was wondering what the additional wiring was for. In looking for a schematic of that, I discovered that your gallery is a treasure trove of handy reference info for those of us who are "electron challenged!" Sticky worthy.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

It doesn't say or not if it will work with a 72 or later Bus Clutch and starter? Looks like one works with VW Type 1 and Porsche 356's and another is needed for a 914 engine.

http://www.zalexindustries.com/

Looks like this may be the schematic needed for a Bus:

Push Button Starter Switch or better yet Contact and Starter Switch

Probably need one of these but others AC Delco may work: Bosch 0 192 062 007

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

Go back to the Zalex web site and look at the adapter ring picture again. I have the full ring shown at the top of the page. I’ve used it on both type 1 and type 4 engines many times along with the same test stand starter. I’ve posted many pictures here showing both engines on my test stand. I’ve even run fuel injected type 4 engines. If you have question just email the guy who runs Zalex. He’s a nice guy. I’ve been to his house.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Start on a stand Reply with quote

Those rings look really slick! I kept all the old transmissions that I have had in my bus for the past 20 years and the VW Bus Transmission Bell Housing unbolts from the transmissions. Makes for a nice starter mount. Only thing is it does not work on a stand I don't think.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: