Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Media Blasting roof with bondo?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

Hello I've been reading through a lot of the previous threads, and while I know most people would want to take off old bondo on their vw's I specifically don't on my hood. It's got a curvature to it that I would like to preserve. It's a rat rod and I know to make it that way was bondo'd so all I'm looking to do is strip the paint and repaint. This will not happen for about 2 months but I'm trying to investigate early about what I can do. Is it possible to save my hood or would I need to sand it with tools and media blast the rest of the vehicle? The bed rails are from a 1950's Dodge so I'm good there.

I'm either trying to rent a media blaster or have someone wet/dustless blast it because there is a ton of rust and cracked paint and really save time by doing it myself.

Thanks for the info in advance. - Mas

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

I'd spend the next 2 months disassembling it down to the shell for dustless blasting. Ask the dustless blasting company about blasting the bondo. Then I'd get a quality base coat/clear coat paint job on it that will last for years & not come apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

So if you want to keep the filler don't blast it. I'm missing the issue. Confused
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

pretty much the whole shell is disassembled but the blink lights on the front and the brakes lights. I've gutted out the whole car, but I guess you can't media blast the hood then what other option would I have?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

Are you positive it's body filler or something that came with a kit? There is going to be rust under it so it will come off eventually. I don't think it adds to the look of the vehicle so I would take it off and avoid the hassles. A heat gun should loosen it up and you can separate it little by little.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

Yes, it's bondo, and I like the look and want to keep it as stated below
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

Is that bondo simulating the look of a rag top?
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

yes on the roof
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Media Blasting roof with bondo? Reply with quote

Wow ... nice tribute project !

My unprofessional advice would be to call around local dustless blasting outfits & ask about how to mask for areas to be protected from the process. You can save them charging labor rates by having it ALL PREPPED B4 they arrive. Be ready to protect the metal SOON after they are done. Bare metal ... even over nite will flash rust. Our humid Texas air can be a nightmare. An epoxy primer after metal scuffing & degreasing is a good 1st layer of protection

There is a good, local resource available in San Antonio ... V.O.S.A.. Volkswagen Owners of San Antonio.... been around since 1992. They welcome ALL Volkswagens, free to join with no dues. They mostly put on shows & support other VW clubs. We meet the 1st Sunday of every month. Great group of people !

www.vosacarclub.com and they have a Facebook which is more active.

Gonna be a nice ride when done !

Good luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: