Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Randomly shutting off
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GimpyScot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

Hi. First time posting. So I have a '71 type 3, it's my daily driver & bone stock original including the fuel injection. Out of the blue it has started shutting off when driving. Radio & lights stay on. The engine just goes quite. I pull over and it starts right up. At first I didn't really mind, as it was only doing it once a week. But then it started doing it everyday. I stopped driving when it started doing it every block (literally). I thought about the fuel pump but would it start right back up every time? Then I thought it could be . . . well I don't have a clue. Really need some help. It's my kids and my daily driver.
Thank you so much !!
Hip2besquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

I would check the ignition switch first, you may have a short in it . Thats why it starts right up again. Ive learned working on these cars not to ever overlook the simple and obvious.

Richie NY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

I would being along a VOM or test light, and when it quits, leave the ignition on, pull over, and start probing to fine the voltage dropout.

Check the wiring to the FI components, too. Many of the wires will kill the engine if disconnected. Check the ignition wiring, too.

When it quits, do the oil and gen lights come on, or is it all dark in the dash?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

You need to find out if it's fuel related or electrically related. It can even be both, like a loose relay ground for the fuel injection system.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
eug_camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

Our '85 Westy had similar behavior, it would loose RPM when putting the clutch in at a stop sign or pulling into the driveway, usually stopping the engine. Then it started acting like it was out of gas with the gauge needle in the middle of the orange band while driving down the road.

It turned out to be (based on current hypothesis) a combination of low fuel and corrosion in the fuel tank. Our fuel pump makes a crunchy sound which, according to the mechanic, indicates cavitation due to the tank outlet being fouled with rust and what-not.

We made it to the gas station and it took 15.6 gallons, so we were running on fumes despite the fuel gauge's story. Our '87 Vanagon can have the needle below the orange zone and still have another 20 miles left in her.

A full tank was enough to "float" the debris and let it run as intended. Short term solution is to keep the tank at least half full. Long term solution is to drop $500 into a new fuel tank. And, we will remember that the gauge in the orange means find a gas station.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

bypass the ignition switch as the first test, being a 71 it would be my main suspect
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
bypass the ignition switch as the first test, being a 71 it would be my main suspect

Yes, and its easy to do with a made-up harness to plug into the 6-wire connector at the base of the column.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a few 1/4 and 1/8 crimp-on connectors and you can simulate the start/run connections, bypassing the switch. Use heat shrink to avoid shorts.

These photos are from when I replaced my ignition switch, so things are taken apart to a degree. This is not required for your testing... just unplug the multi-pin rectangular connector at the bottom of the column on the right sideband then plug in your "switch replacement" setup. Be careful and don't force anything.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GimpyScot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

Ok thank you so much.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

Also on D-jet,systema.....this is commonly caused by

A. Loose, corroded or cracked ground wires at the case centerline ground cluster
B. A crappy plug fittjng at the 3 lin plug for the trigger points on the distributor.
C. Poor grounding if tbe main fuel injection relay
D. A loose connector at the main + connection on the battery. There should be about ab,18 gauge connector on a male tab there.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GimpyScot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

Thank you guys so much for the advice. You where right, it was the ignition switch . I was under the impression that it was the fuel pump. Your advice saved me about $200. Thank you so much.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Randomly shutting off Reply with quote

'71 uses a one-year-only switch, but you can buy a Bug electrical part much cheaper, crimp the Type 3 connectors on carefully, and have it work like new. Here is my rebuild thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616570
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: