Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my pan shortening adventure, and slow build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Been a while since my last update, i have been consumed with building the engine. Long block is done and i think it turned out very nice. Specs:

New case. Hoover mods.
stock non c/w crank, offset ground 69.5mm(for a true 1600cc), 8 doweled.
Balanced with lightened flywheel and had DPR pin the Sachs pressure plate.
stock vw rods, straightened, rebuilt and lightened to 545 grams by Modok.
Web 163 cam advanced 2 degrees, Udo becker tool steel lifters, ACN pushrods.
Mahle 85.5 pistons and cyl's, lightweight tool steel wristpins, re-hone and balance by Modok.
.040" deck, 9.4:1 compression.
Mexico 043 heads, 36.5x32 ss valves, scat singles shimmed, Ti retainers, 42 cc chambers. porting and the rest of the work on the heads by Modok who took them to the next level...130+ [email protected] lift on intakes @25" all with a TINY 52cc intake port.
CB 1.1:1 rockers with TP tool steel adjusters, solid shafts.
CB filter pump with heat shield by me.
Csp 40mm manifolds matched by Modok.
nos weber 36 idf's with custom 31mm vents by Modok.
German 009 from tasb, re-curved by me with direction from Alstrup, 5800rpm rotor.
The whole engine build was inspired by Alstrups 110 hp 1600 combo.
Here she is so far:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A bit of work on the chssis as well, brake lines are done, pedal cluster restored and installed, new custom clutch cable from California push pull and new made in USA billet shifter from Mastershift.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

That all looks really nice!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

finally!
Engine is in, soon we will find out if my 36 IDF's are going to fit without changing a bunch of stuff.

At this point i have a question for anyone willing to grab a tape measure and check for me. What is a reasonable spacing between the stop on the back of the clutch pedal and the firewall/front bulkhead or whatever you want to call it? I have no idea, and want to get a baseline so i don't push the pressure plate past center.

Ride height guesstimate is working ok so far as well, pan sits 1" higher in the rear with the engine in and i was shooting for 1/2"-3/4" higher when finished, i think it will be close.

rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Can anybody give me an idea of the distance between the stop on your clutch pedal and the firewall? Would really like some idea, already turned my pressure plate inside out once and there is a fine line where it goes over center. It would be good to know i am safe at least up to X amount of travel, i really don't want to pull the engine again to put my pressure plate right side out.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
Can anybody give me an idea of the distance between the stop on your clutch pedal and the firewall? Would really like some idea, already turned my pressure plate inside out once and there is a fine line where it goes over center. It would be good to know i am safe at least up to X amount of travel, i really don't want to pull the engine again to put my pressure plate right side out.

not sure what the real point of the stopper plate is for, but when you adjust your clutch 1/2"-1" of free travel in the clutch pedal before it starts engaging the clutch is what is called for. that measurement is mostly achived by the wing nut on the clutch lever on the tranny.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Yes i understand this completely, however it is very easy to depress the pedal to the point that the fingers on the pressure plate go past center and fold inward. they do not return to the original position unless you pull the clutch and pop them back out. The stop on the pedal prevents this, but i do not know where to put the stop unless i slowly creep up on the pedal till the pp overextends and then make a stop just before that point. Unfortunately i will have to pull the clutch again to do this because the pp will be stuck over extended again.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

I think you have a bad pressure plate. The only ones I have heard of sticking compressed have been worn.

As a band aid, you can slowly back off the wing nut until you have about 2 inches after release of the clutch disc until you hit the froward firewall.

I personally never fully depress the pedal. I only press it about 3 inches just to release the disc, then shift and come back up.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Pressure plate is brand new Sachs, with new Daikin disc. It wasn't just stuck compressed, it went full over center till the fingers were stuck facing the disc. I am certain any pp would do this when the pedal can travel as far as mine can without a stop. I have to believe vw put a stop on the back of my pedal for good reason. I am building this car to absolutely wring it's neck and will give all 3 pedals a chance to punch a hole in the floor more than once, so i really would like a stop
I suppose i will just push it all the way though again and mark where it pops past center, set my stop a half inch or so before that point. then I get to pull the darn motor again, but that should be the last time.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

i totally understand your troubles.
now just throwing this out there.
could your new pressure plate be defective. i am a mechanic by trade and sometimes new parts are assembled wrong or with out parts.
i once had a new tierod come with no threads to thread into the adjusting sleeve.
just because its new does not mean its right.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
I am certain any pp would do this when the pedal can travel as far as mine can without a stop. I have to believe vw put a stop on the back of my pedal for good reason.

Just to be clear . . .
The "stop-plate" on the floor stops the brake and clutch pedals from RETURNING too far . . . what happens if the plate is missing is that the clutch pedal will flop rearwards and the cable can disconnect from the hook.

The "finger" on the pedal arm stops the pedal from traveling too far forward by contacting the firewall . . . that's where you will need to reinforce the body for a pedal stop . . . try to mimic the location of the Beetle body.

BTW . . . I am presently working on my pan . . . shortened 14" . . . I used your pan as a model!
Thanks for sharing your project photos and keep up the nice work! Cool
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
rodjr wrote:
I am certain any pp would do this when the pedal can travel as far as mine can without a stop. I have to believe vw put a stop on the back of my pedal for good reason.

Just to be clear . . .
The "stop-plate" on the floor stops the brake and clutch pedals from RETURNING too far . . . what happens if the plate is missing is that the clutch pedal will flop rearwards and the cable can disconnect from the hook.

The "finger" on the pedal arm stops the pedal from traveling too far forward by contacting the firewall . . . that's where you will need to reinforce the body for a pedal stop . . . try to mimic the location of the Beetle body.

BTW . . . I am presently working on my pan . . . shortened 14" . . . I used your pan as a model!
Thanks for sharing your project photos and keep up the nice work! Cool

Awesome! i would love to see a pic or two of your pan if you have them.
It is certainly a challenge to do this way, but i think the results are worth it.

Yes indeed i was talking about the finger on the arm. I do not have a beetle to compare to, so i was looking for a general measurement.
I have now learned through trial and error that about 4.5-4.75" is sufficient, 5" travel is getting abusive, and 5.5"+ will jack the fingers inward.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

On another note...
I found a place that would make custom decals with basically any size and design you can imagine, so i had them make something a bit more unique than the stupid green decals that were on my center caps.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
Yes indeed i was talking about the finger on the arm. I do not have a beetle to compare to, so i was looking for a general measurement.

I checked my '70 Beetle for ya . . .
The clutch pedal has a "stop finger" that is bolted on from the factory.
The stop hits the firewall at a point that is approximately on the same plane as the rear face of the "Napoleon's Hat".

As for the plate on the floor . . . VERY important that it is adjusted such that you have the proper free play for the master cylinder pushrod.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
rodjr wrote:

I checked my '70 Beetle for ya . . .
The clutch pedal has a "stop finger" that is bolted on from the factory.
The stop hits the firewall at a point that is approximately on the same plane as the rear face of the "Napoleon's Hat".

As for the plate on the floor . . . VERY important that it is adjusted such that you have the proper free play for the master cylinder pushrod.

Thanks! I got everything adjusted and a plan for the stop on the firewall.
Got the shroud, alternator and carbs on this weekend and slapped the body on.........Carbs fit! plenty of room for filters, nice!

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Are those lower rear air deflector tins backwards and on the wrong sides?

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

Yes, they are. I didn't like how they looked sort of "unfinished" with the sharp formed edges facing out, so i tried flipping them to see if i could modify them to work that way which would look better. Ultimately though it is probably not worth the effort (and i would have to have them powder coated again after i cut and welded them) and i will probably just swap them back.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

After a long dry spell i actually had all day today to get back after it.
Finally finished up all the fiberglass work i had to do to clear the irs, then shot some raptor on the whole underside and a select portion of the top side.

JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

rodjr wrote:
On another note...
I found a place that would make custom decals with basically any size and design you can imagine, so i had them make something a bit more unique than the stupid green decals that were on my center caps.

and that place would be called.....?
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

I don't have the info in front of me but off the top of my head i remember Zazzle and Stickerbeat both would do custom stickers (can't remember which i used). You could choose from their art designs or upload your own and get them sized and finished the way you want them.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: my pan shortening adventure, and slow build Reply with quote

The 'glass repair turned out great!
And the Rapter looks nice . . . . keep up the good work! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: