Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Don't try this at home folks..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Shocked

Link

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

That was insane!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

High speed wobbles are a very scary experience.
I was riding my Yamaha SR500 to work many years ago. It was cold and I had my clutch hand in my coat pocket. I hit a small divot in the roadway and the front end started to wobble.
I couldn't get my clutch hand on the grip quick enough. I made the split second decision to bail before I hit a parked car.
The one thing I still remember is the sight of a 72 Nova bumper whizzing past my head right before I closed my eyes.
This all happened at 35mph.
I was scrapped up but walked away from the crash like the rider in the video Steve posted did.
I sold the SR right after that as I find dirt way more forgiving when it comes to crashing.

That dude is one very lucky SOB.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Idiot! Not to mention riding with Vans and cheesy pants.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Idiot! Not to mention riding with Vans and cheesy pants.

I agree with his inappropriate gear, but WHY exactly is he an idiot? He was doing the same speed as traffic around him, his front end wobbled and he lost control.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Last edited by jwp67 on Mon May 07, 2018 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

It looked to me like he was weeving on purpose, then blew it. I have well over 300,000 miles riding myself...EVERY accident was a 4 wheelers fault!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

IDIOT! IMBECILE! MORON! etc... He should have ended up under the semi and rid us of this asshole. Laughing

He lives to do it another day. Loss of limbs, broken spines, I have seen them all in the hospital...out of stupidity. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

I feel sorry for other people though that get hurt because of stupid people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

And the knuckleheads that don't wear helmets.

I'll never understand but I do understand that if you live in a state where you don't have to wear a helmet, you are paying for them when they get injured and don't have insurance to cover it.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

I'll never understand but I do understand that if you live in a state where you don't have to wear a helmet, you are paying for them when they get injured and don't have insurance to cover it.

Back in the 70s my older sister as part of her training to be RN worked the emergency room at the hospital. Head injuries were the number one cause of of death from injuries related to motorcycle accidents, probably true today but hey it’s their right to not wear a helmet. Guess who pays.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:

Back in the 70s my older sister as part of her training to be RN worked the emergency room at the hospital. Head injuries were the number one cause of of death from injuries related to motorcycle accidents, probably true today but hey it’s their right to not wear a helmet. Guess who pays.

The flip side to the helmet laws is organ donors declined.

German Folks
Ludwig van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Jeremy Clarkson once remarked on Top Gear that the problem with a motorcycle is that someone you don't even like could end up with your eyes.

In the early 70's, my friend took his then-new Kawasaki 500 Mach III out to 'do the ton'. I forget how fast he got going before a speed wobble set in, but he said he got it down to about 60 mph before it dumped him. He remembered sliding down the highway sitting up, and watching the bike spinning in slow loops on its side, throwing sparks. He got off easy - only burnt the seat out of his jeans. Those bikes were deadly, and that was the first of four crashes, including one with me riding.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

I ride and feel confident....but now ride with more respect and like a big target is on me. The car and truck drivers are not what they once were.
Too consumed in things other than driving.

I had a CBR 600 F4i go into a wobble when I hit a bump riding alone on a two lane one late night headed home...doing a few clicks over a buck thirty....I was lucky and got it slowed and under control.

It is a shorts soiling experience...fo sho

I contributed that event to the inherent nimble low Caster crotch rocket design...and my stupidity of when and where I decided to ring its neck for the first time.

Most of us have done stupid stuff...and realize it...and live to advise.

Rocket Dude in the video is one lucky rider. Hope he realizes it..or.. the next chance may not end well.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Squid wearin' jeans and tennies. If you can't afford and wear full-up gear BEFORE you hit the street, you deserve what you get.
And I agree, no way that bike shoulda started wobbling on its own at freeway speeds, he was dicking off, somehow.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

If he was being safe and not a jerk-off, then why did they blur the speedo? Guy deserved it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
If he was being safe and not a jerk-off, then why did they blur the speedo? Guy deserved it.

This is a good point. I didn't even notice...

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

He may have been speeding, but to me it kinda looks like he's gone into a speed wobble in a strong cross wind. Large gust forced him hard to the right. Or am I imagining that?
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Ok, sober now and have re-watched that video. Clearly a speed wobble/tank slapper. Maybe the cross wind was an incorrect guess; perhaps just an overcorrection.
But what caused the tank slapper? Usually tank slappers occur when the front wheel becomes momentarily airborne at speed and comes back down in an otherwise not straight position. The bike naturally will want to go straight by itself and will sling back and forth violently while trying to find 'straight'. Other tank slapper catalysts include a wide range of possibilities: poor engineering, improper front/rear preload, over-weight situation, too much suspension rebound, etc. But the main contributing factor remains the front wheel coming out of line, whether that is by coming off the asphalt or some other mechanical mishap.

So, how did this happen in the video? He only shows us the beginning of the chain reaction, and not what ultimately led to it. We can make a glib statement and say he was doing a wheelie and set the front end down crooked, and thus the rider was entirely at fault. But we could also just as honestly guess that the accident may have stemmed from some other more innocent and benign mechanical problem that the rider was unaware of.

All I'm trying to say here is that shit happens. Whether this was the riders fault or not, accidents happen to all of us regardless of how hard we try to prevent them. No one is perfect and bikes are inherently dangerous. Sure this dude wasn't wearing the right riding gear, but who of us have NEVER ONCE thrown a leg over the motorcycle without being completely suited up? If you raise your hand, I don't believe you. 100 degree heat and you've got on the riding boots, thick-ass reinforced riding pants, back-protected jacket? No way. I'm as paranoid and safe as the craziest person out there, but even I can recall instances where I wasn't 'properly' suited up. Not ideal, but we've all done it.

This dude was way lucky. He lived to tell the tale, and you know he is much smarter because of this. No doubt in my mind that he is a changed rider.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

If you notice at the very beginning of the video, he's passing the rest of the flow of traffic at a pretty good clip.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't try this at home folks.. Reply with quote

Hard to tell speed with such a brief intro. 15, 20mph faster than traffic? He was speeding for sure, but that speed did not cause the tank slapper. Without seeing how he was riding before I don't think anyone is really justified in vilifying this guy. Speeding in a straight line a little faster than the rest of the traffic on a freeway doesn't usually end up with a near fatal motorcycle accident.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: