Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Model Nirvana
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What stage is the most fun for you?
1. collecting unbuilt models
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
2. building models
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
3. collecting and showing completed models
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

models: I am torn between the 3 distinct stages of model kit happiness...

What's the most fun for you?

1. collecting unbuilt models... leaving them unbuilt in the box as it's better to want, then to have... once built, the anticipation is gone. I have some models that are 58 years old., purchased in 1960 - Vauxhall Cresta, MGA, Rover4.... some Hondas that are from the late 1980s... a VW that is from the 1960s.
2. Actually building a model... enjoy the process, the creativity, the detail, but am sad when it is completed.
3. Displaying a collection of completed models...
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Why be torn? Choose "all of the above."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't understand the sadness part. I have models I built as a teenager, and I enjoy them just as much today as I did back then. I suppose at this point the anticipation is just seeing the finished product, because I have a clear picture of it in my mind before I glue the first part. Plus, I base my builds on the same vintage kits that I've always used. The theme may be new, but the ingredients are the same.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

I used to love searching for hard-to-find models to add to my shelves, but I've tapered off on buying. Online auctions and sales has made it too easy and I've got too many kits anyway.

I still enjoy building the most, and especially when I do a model to present to someone else. (Off our topic, but I'm building a T-33 model for a friend right now, and I'll enjoy giving it to him a lot!) The great thing about building is that I'm still learning new tricks and techniques fifty years after my first model.

A long time ago I built models for contest competition and that was fun, but I suppose I've "outgrown" the need to compete. I get more fun out of just building and putting them on the shelf.

Great topic, neighbor!
Scott
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Because "all of the above" wasn't available, I decided on No. 3, because my favorite thing is to share with other builders and collectors, and to see their work.

Heinz Nordhoff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
I used to love searching for hard-to-find models to add to my shelves, but I've tapered off on buying. Online auctions and sales has made it too easy and I've got too many kits anyway.

I still enjoy building the most, and especially when I do a model to present to someone else. (Off our topic, but I'm building a T-33 model for a friend right now, and I'll enjoy giving it to him a lot!) The great thing about building is that I'm still learning new tricks and techniques fifty years after my first model.

A long time ago I built models for contest competition and that was fun, but I suppose I've "outgrown" the need to compete. I get more fun out of just building and putting them on the shelf.

Great topic, neighbor!
Scott

... sure would like to see your '56 standard sometime... love standards.
Are there any standard model kits out there?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Any Volkswagen model can be turned into a Standard with a little effort. That's what model building is about.

If you follow the model build topic posted above in the stickies, you'd see the neat Canadian Standard built by "Smoothgateguy" John in Canada, based on the Gunze oval window.

Heinz Nordhoff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

... never thought of it that way, but of coarse... making a standard is really knowing what a genuine standard looks like and then reproducing it, on a smaller scale... thanks
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

i'm the one who voted for collecting unbuilt models.. I know there is NO ONE WAY to do anything... that all points of view are valid, but once a model is built it takes on a new status... only having real meaning and relative importance, to the builder.

I have found a box of built models in the curbside trash and took them. My guess is some one no longer wanted them and threw them out... if they were never built, i'll bet that would not be the case.

Unbuilt models retain their values and can potentially become more valuable, with the passing of time... is my reasoning.When I used to tire of my old models, i'd set them up on a log and use them for target practice... never did that with an unbuilt model...

Is kind of a catch 22... building them, fulfilling their reason for existing or never building them, keeping the interest to do so alive. i am not a fatalist and go for the latter option... What does any of this really matter in the grand scheme of existence? Not a damn thing... is just fun to ponder...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
i'm the one who voted for collecting unbuilt models.. I know there is NO ONE WAY to do anything... that all points of view are valid, but once a model is built it takes on a new status... only having real meaning and relative importance, to the builder.

I have found a box of built models in the curbside trash and took them. My guess is some one no longer wanted them and threw them out... if they were never built, i'll bet that would not be the case.

Unbuilt models retain their values and can potentially become more valuable, with the passing of time... is my reasoning. When I used to tire of my old models, I'd set them up on a log and use them for target practice... never did that with an unbuilt model...

Is kind of a catch 22... building them, fulfilling their reason for existing or never building them, keeping the interest to do so alive. I am not a fatalist and go for the latter option... What does any of this really matter in the grand scheme of existence? Not a damn thing... is just fun to ponder...

I suppose this comes from your zen outlook. Laughing I have a different take. I think if you're any good as a builder, the model does not have to matter only to you. Anyone who appreciates the car it represents will enjoy it.

Also, those junk models you found can be used as a source of parts, can be restored, or can be kit bashed. I NEVER deliberately destroy a model, because every bit can be recycled.

Finally, I do not see more value in an unbuilt kit, because in many ways, this represents failure. Somebody bought that kit, or received it as a gift, and never followed through with building it. A model kit built to a high standard is much rarer, because you hardly ever see one, and subsequently, can fetch more if it's of a high standard. Many people dream of having a nice built-up example of their favorite model. The only problem is factoring in the labor that goes into it, because a nice model takes time to build. However, a talented builder knows how to budget time and effort versus finished product. I prefer to think of it as not getting carried away, rather than cutting corners.

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

When we used to go to model contests I picked up some "rare" kits in the various swap meets. Several of them are still sitting on my shelf and I reckon they'll be sold on to others someday. I don't think I actually bought them with the intention of not building them but keeping them in the box doesn't bother me--and they are probably worth more unbuilt.

On the Standard subject, I've just begun an Oval in 1/24 that will be stripped to represent our new 1/1 scale Standard. It'll give me some inspiration to keep working on the real thing!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Probably just build and have fun...but have to wait until I retire again since I am too busy for building models.... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
When we used to go to model contests I picked up some "rare" kits in the various swap meets. Several of them are still sitting on my shelf and I reckon they'll be sold on to others someday. I don't think I actually bought them with the intention of not building them but keeping them in the box doesn't bother me--and they are probably worth more unbuilt.

On the Standard subject, I've just begun an Oval in 1/24 that will be stripped to represent our new 1/1 scale Standard. It'll give me some inspiration to keep working on the real thing!

i'd like to see your '56 standard sometime... and I like the idea of building a standard model...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Probably just build and have fun...but have to wait until I retire again since I am too busy for building models.... Laughing

... this is certainly one of the very valid points, just having fun... man do I love looking for, finding and collecting unbuilt models... Now I want to build a standard oval or split... you guys, got me all charged up ... thanks.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

Unbuilt models retain their values and can potentially become more valuable, with the passing of time... is my reasoning. When I used to tire of my old models, I'd set them up on a log and use them for target practice... never did that with an unbuilt model...

Is kind of a catch 22... building them, fulfilling their reason for existing or never building them, keeping the interest to do so alive. I am not a fatalist and go for the latter option... What does any of this really matter in the grand scheme of existence? Not a damn thing... is just fun to ponder...

I suppose this comes from your zen outlook. Laughing I have a different take. I think if you're any good as a builder, the model does not have to matter only to you. Anyone who appreciates the car it represents will enjoy it.

Also, those junk models you found can be used as a source of parts, can be restored, or can be kit bashed. I NEVER deliberately destroy a model, because every bit can be recycled.

Finally, I do not see more value in an unbuilt kit, because in many ways, this represents failure. Somebody bought that kit, or received it as a gift, and never followed through with building it. A model kit built to a high standard is much rarer, because you hardly ever see one, and subsequently, can fetch more if it's of a high standard. Many people dream of having a nice built-up example of their favorite model. The only problem is factoring in the labor that goes into it, because a nice model takes time to build. However, a talented builder knows how to budget time and effort versus finished product. I prefer to think of it as not getting carried away, rather than cutting corners.

I appreciate all takes... Baron, you have made some great points, worth consideration... thanks
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

There's no reason you can't have it both ways, a pristine unbuilt kit, and a nice build-up of the same kit in your display case. There's no need to choose one or the other.

Heinz Nordhoff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
There's no reason you can't have it both ways, a pristine unbuilt kit, and a nice build-up of the same kit in your display case. There's no need to choose one or the other.

... interesting idea, having it both ways is something I never considered... just don't want it to cost me double Smile
See also, I am getting up there in age and want to start shedding the ownership of "stuff"... i'd also like to leave this world with less of a footprint... been selling stuff in an effort to reach that happiness... not really interested in filling my showcase... actually would like eventually, to have NO showcase.
I like your idea, none the less...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

When I give up on my hobby I may as well leave this world because there's one less reason to stay.

Unbuilt kit and built-up model.

Heinz Nordhoff
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
When I give up on my hobby I may as well leave this world because there's one less reason to stay.

That's pretty drastic Craig .... I love modeling too but there is more to life than models.

I voted some time back but realized I hadn't commented here. Like BB, I would have selected 'All of the above' if it was available but it wasn't. So building models was my choice.

I don't have a lot of free time for my hobbies these days. However, there are many brief moments when I can sneak off and work on a model. I might only get one thing done, but it is one step in the process. If you think about it, building a model is a sequence of many, many steps. Prep needs to get done, paint has to dry, glue has to set. Often, repairs and fabrication are involved. Each step brings a certain amount of satisfaction and anticipation for the next step. Its all about the journey to me.

I do have some nice minty or near mint models in my collection that I probably will never build. I do enjoy seeing them together and the promise that each one holds. I also enjoy seeing my completed models and sharing them on this forum. But for me, its the build that is the most exciting.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

jack1448 wrote:
Blue Baron wrote:

That's pretty drastic Craig .... I love modeling too but there is more to life than models.

I wasn't trying to be drastic. When the time comes to get rid of my stuff, I'll worry about it then. But being happier without it? Not a chance!

Heinz Nordhoff
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Model Nirvana Reply with quote

A long time ago I built models on commission. I found, after the first check was cashed, that building models for money turns into work! After a couple of airplanes I was asked to build a few stock car models for a couple of drivers and it actually started feeling like a job......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: