Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help me sell it to the wife...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clark Addison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I must be the odd man out here, because my wife convinced me that she should buy a bay as our third car (1995 Porsche Carrera 4 and 2016 Audi a3 e-tron). I used most of the previous arguments about a money pit, but she had owned a couple of buses back in the day and it was her dream car.

I eventually steered her away from a couple of rust buckets and she bought a beautifully restored 1974 bus. I like it, but I like my Porsche better. Cool
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Living the dream, Clark.

Very Happy

I drive an aging fleet of EU badged stuff but our seven ladies drive our cars so well I can't complain, over 200k on clutches, etc.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

don't know your situation but we have our accounts set as yours/mine/ours.

yours and mine are just that, to do whatever. ours is for monthly bills. if you have a joint account, budget for a divorce

This is SSOO true Don. But sadly, many 'wives' won't sign off on this strategy. That want it ALL in one bucket so they can CONTROL it!

One of my best friends got married 25ish years ago. I was the best man. When they both said "I do", the preacher introduced them as "Susan and John Showalter". I said to my buddy next to me "he's so screwed".. And he was...

I think I married her sister or cousin. It's like the old joke - someone yells "DUCK!" All the long married men dive for cover but the newly wed male looks about and says "where?" right before he gets clobbered by his wife

ha!

we have a good thing. she use to cruise a local paper for cars. we'd go and scoop them up if the deal was right. I'm tapping out....after my shartruck is done, I'm all set with personal projects. 10 cars in the stable now....time to rethink things here.

other than the house, we're debt free. everything is paid for. time to dump $$ on the principal.

I will echo what others have said.....they are money pits...BUT when you get them perfect, you may spend a few hundred a year on maintenance stuff and buying spares...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

When I met wife, she was 16, driving her Dad's '72 Westy, so I didn't need to do much convincing.
I'd suggest taking her to a VW show, look at a bunch of Buses, get HER thoughts on what she likes, talk value & price w/ owners, look at all the various camper set ups, ect.
Or, just say, Honey, I'm buying a Bus, and live w/the results. Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I could not imagine asking for permission to buy...anything, short of a house. As long as you avoid "restorations" and focus on drivers your family will have a needed instrument that holds value. My lady does as she pleases and so do I. That is why we get along ,still, after 20 years. I don't store my balls in her purse next to the appointment book.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

You'll love a Westy, theyre great!

When we bought our buses, we came rather fresh faced and didn't know what to look for in a bus (the first one is a 1973 Kombi which we enjoy) so the second one, our '77 Westy, we learned a lot about what suited us and what running one entailes.

Don't try selling her the concept of a bus, rather than talk about the adventures you can have exploring and meeting new friends. We have got some great friends though owning our bays, we have been to some superb places and cannot imagine life any different.

Life is too short, have fun and enjoy!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I can't even tell you how much time and money I've spent on my bus... or how many days I wasn't able to hang out with my girlfriend because I was working on the bus; however we're really supportive of each other's hobbys so she kinda gets it. Towards the end though she was really starting to hate the bus... It's going to be different for everyone based on your situation.

I definitely didn't do any of it with hopes of making a dime

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I was lucky because when I first got married, we bought a 79 Westy and our first few years of marriage were very happy memories of great times camping in that bus.

Fast Forward 30 years, and I miss the Westy, and want to buy one.

I do the bait and switch in a way - looking at lots of rust buckets locally, and end up finding a turn key beauty in BC for a decent price.

I do tell her it's an investment, from the point of view that the value is likely to increase, and this one is not a money pit.

The memories of our old Westy sealed the deal.

She won't camp in it anymore, but loves day trips.

I get to camp by myself or with my daughter.

Fun times.

I do recommend investing in a solid bus that won't be a money pit.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

If you buy the right bus, you'll have a car that holds it value (long term averages, the market will jump and drop obviously) and can be maintained fairly cheap compared to new cars. Take for example you buy a 2016 focus or other sedan. You may pay 15-20k, and in 5-10 years you will have put 100K miles on it, and it will only be worth 5k. With a bus, you will pay 15-20k, put 100k miles on. Maybe be starting into your third engine (3.5k per engine) and have spent 22-27k, but still have a car worth 20k. So pay it forward, or pay it backward. It's up to you. I see it financially as an equal. Just don't buy a project bus, unless you never want to see the light of day again.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
If you buy the right bus, you'll have a car that holds it value (long term averages, the market will jump and drop obviously) and can be maintained fairly cheap compared to new cars. Take for example you buy a 2016 focus or other sedan. You may pay 15-20k, and in 5-10 years you will have put 100K miles on it, and it will only be worth 5k. With a bus, you will pay 15-20k, put 100k miles on. Maybe be starting into your third engine (3.5k per engine) and have spent 22-27k, but still have a car worth 20k. So pay it forward, or pay it backward. It's up to you. I see it financially as an equal. Just don't buy a project bus, unless you never want to see the light of day again.

This is more or less how I see it.

I listen to Dave Ramsey fairly frequently, and though I've cheated a little here and there on his plan, do avoid debt as much as I can and only have a little credit card debt (which I'm working down) and nothing else besides mortgage.

One of his guidelines is to not have "anything with a motor" (he defines as cars, boats, jetskis, atvs, etc) totaling more than half of your yearly income because they all go down in value. I've only heard him address "classic cars" within this rule once, when someone called in and asked. Basically the answer was that a classic car fell outside the rule generally, because they tend to go up in value over time. (Of course, you'd never borrow to buy it, though!)

So I figure that with my old Buses and Thing, with maintenance (barring some tragic incident like a crash) at worst they are holding their value. And likely going up a bit over time. SO I have a fun form of transportation that isn't losing much in value. I do use my old VWs as (rotating) daily drivers for as much of the year as possible. In crappy weather my worn out Golf tags in.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Quote:
(Of course, you'd never borrow to buy it, though!)

If you can borrow money at 3% and make 15% on the market, and be disciplined to not go over your head, it makes sense to borrow.

Thats the best part of living in a place with reasonable traffic and commutes - your 'toy' actually has some function. Im fine with driving my 54 Beetle with a spear pointing at my chest one mile to get sugar, while my neighbors scoff at my madness, and drive their Ford Explorer Snuffer edition to the Walmart to buy Splenda, made from dioxin.

Ok, I took a little license there.

Last edited by Abscate on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

JackStraw72 wrote:
blah blah blah

Link

more swell info can be found in your other thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684897
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

If you can borrow money at 3% and make 15% on the market, and be disciplined to not go over your head, it makes sense to borrow.

Thats the best part of living in a place with reasonable traffic and commutes - your 'toy' actually has some function. Im fine with driving my 54 Beetle with a spear pointing at my chest one mile to get sugar, while my neighbors scoff at my madness, and drive their Ford Explorer Snuffer edition to the Walmart to buy Splenda, made from dioxin.

If I can borrow at 3% and make 15% on the market, then shouldn't I go out and borrow as much as I possibly can? I'd be crazy not to!

Though what I was referring to is how Dave Ramsey may say that the classic car doesn't really fall into the rule of not owning too much car, but he would also say to not borrow to buy the classic car.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I dunno.. If you didn't already go and grab a bus, I'd say the chances are pretty slim of it panning out at this point.

The idea of even asking is completely foreign to me.

Are you _sure_ she doesn't carry your balls around in her purse?

Somebody need to study up on their pimpological arts.

Link

What’s That Noise?!?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Quote:

If I can borrow at 3% and make 15% on the market, then shouldn't I go out and borrow as much as I possibly can? I'd be crazy not to!

Though what I was referring to is how Dave Ramsey may say that the classic car doesn't really fall into the rule of not owning too much car, but he would also say to not borrow to buy the classic car.

Gotcha Dave. I agree that the toy that doesn’t fritter away in value like my boats doesn’t fall under the same rule. Once you have decided to buy, though, there’s nothing virtuous about using your own money when other peoples money is so cheap.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

JackStraw72 wrote:

Link

It’s not just good at the beach. You can also change out of your ski clothes in it at the resort and out of your mountain biking gear at the trails. Many uses here, not just surfing...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

I will echo what others have said.....they are money pits...BUT when you get them perfect, you may spend a few hundred a year on maintenance stuff and buying spares...

And here lies the beauty of owning and having a fruitful ownership with a bus and wife. Wink Laughing

Trick is getting there.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

I wanted a vintage harley a long time ago and my wife was dead set against it. I left for work but really drove for 2 hours to buy my dream machine. She was pissed but she got over it... my advice to you is " its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission". But i wouldnt do it again lol

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't store my balls in her purse next to the appointment book.

Thats good. Im tolerant, but Im still not comfortable with my balls touching another mans' balls. Nothing wrong with that, its my issue.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Help me sell it to the wife... Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
I wanted a vintage harley a long time ago and my wife was dead set against it. I left for work but really drove for 2 hours to buy my dream machine. She was pissed but she got over it... my advice to you is " its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission". But i wouldnt do it again lol

Actually I forgot my main leverage in getting my wife on board for the bus purchase was I wanted to buy a bike. She said she would rather I buy the bus, so I went for it.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: