Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brakes not completely releasing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

I have a newly developed problem and I was hoping someone would know where to start.
Sometimes when releasing the brake pedal, the brakes don't completely release. The pedal also doesn't return to fully depressed either. I can pull the brake pedal up with my toe and that seems to release the brake. It probably only moves .5-1 inch.

it's a 72 w/ booster, discs up front and drums in the rear. I suspect that a drum spring might be bad/broken, but l wouldn't necessarily think pulling on the pedal would help. So it might be a MC problem?

I just drove about a 2k mile trip and this only developed in the last 300 miles or so.

Possibly related: the brake pressure sensors seem kind on non-sensitive. the brakes stop the car normally, but you have to be braking fairly hard for the brake lights to actually come on. Not emergency braking level, but harder than what I consider normal braking. Anyone else experienced this?

1972 Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(1)
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

flexible rubber brake lines deteriorate from the inside and fail causing your symptoms, they look good from outside.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
flexible rubber brake lines deteriorate from the inside and fail causing your symptoms, they look good from outside.

2X, just replace all the rubber brake lines as the problem will just pop up again on other wheels. It's not the springs. Do one wheel at a time and bleed it before going to the next hose to save your self the headache of bleeding the whole system. If the brake fluid isn't clear replace it, its time.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

When was the last time you flushed the brake system and replaced the fluid?

Slow reacting switches is usually due to sediment buildup, non returning master cylinders could be due to the same or corrosion. Hoses can cause a wheel to drag but don't usually effect pedal return. Pushrod adjustment is also a possibility, but if you haven't done any work on the brakes before this started happening odds are good it didn't readjust itself.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

"Hoses can cause a wheel to drag but don't usually effect pedal return. "
I disagree, not disrespecting BUSDADDY, but i have seen pinched off brake lines do this. Had a '72 Benz where a rear rotor was cut thru because brake pads would not retract. (EX was driving it and did not bother to tell me it was making noise till brakes failed and she hit back of school bus) Rolling Eyes

I just realized I was wrong Busdaddy is correct
I was thinking pad or shoe return not pedal return.... MY BAD !

Last edited by HelmutofBuffalo on Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

Pull the pan from under the front and see if anything is blocking the levers and rod for the brake. Maybe a squirrel took up residence in there. I agree with BD that the pedal should come up no matter what else is or isn't wrong with the brakes.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
"Hoses can cause a wheel to drag but don't usually effect pedal return. "
I disagree, not disrespecting BUSDADDY, but i have seen pinched off brake lines do this. Had a '72 Benz where a rear rotor was cut thru because brake pads would not retract. (EX was driving it and did not bother to tell me it was making noise till brakes failed and she hit back of school bus) Rolling Eyes

No.

You need to think about how the brake master cylinder works....carefully.

A collapsed or pinched soft brake hose will keep fluid pressure from bleeding off...on the slave cylinder it is activating (meaning the wheel cylinder or caliper).

However the brake master cylinder pistons....CANNOT..."suction lock" from not being able to pull that fluid back up from a pinched hose.....BECAUSE....

...the master cylinder pistons have their own fluid supply from the reservoir.

When you let off the brake pedal and the spring returns the pistons to the at rest position.....as the pistons push through the fluid inside of the master cylinder the brass compensation port flap valves open. These act as a suction breaker so that the pedal cannot stay down.

If a pinched or swelled hose does not allow fluid to "retract" as the master cylinder pistons are trying to return from the "pressurized" position.....fluid is pulled from the reservoir.....in compensation....for fluid that does not return from the wheel cylinders or calipers.

If your pedal is not retracting when you let off of it...and its not an internal or external return spring issue, not a pedal adjustment issue (which affects the compensation port position) or a booster diaphragm or pushrod bushing issue....then you either have compensation port flap valves that are gummed up or corroded or the ports are blocked by sludge or corrosion (very common)...or a piston seal cup that is starting to come apart or is gummed up or there is grit in the bore lodging the piston.

Also a common cause of pedal coming up not at all or slowly...on "some" ATE and FAG cylinders is the plastic elbows that connect the reservoir hoses to the MC being jammed down too hard in the rubber grommets.

This causes the flap open port on the end of the elbow to seal against the flat bottom of the well under the grommet. It seals off compensation fluid from the reservoir. This is why whenever I rebuild or install a master cylinder I cut two small notches in the elbow end with a round file.

You can see this in the end of this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679160

Its no doubt that you had bad hoses on your wifes 'Benz....that caused the PADS not to retract....but that does cause the pedal not to retract.

And...changing the hoses...fixed the problem...right?...and thats BECAUSE...you had to bleed the system right? Wink

Typically when the hoses are fubar...over time you get rubber debris up in the master cylinder and that is what plugs the fluid compensation ports....and can cause the pedal to stick or rise very slowly. Flushing the system for any reason....removes the debris blocking the return ports and generally fixes that.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrbell321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

It could be that pulling up on the pedal just gives the extra few seconds for the brake pad to release coincidentally.

I'll take a look & post when I find out more.

1972 Type 2 (T2) mod. 221(1)
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

mrbell321 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

It could be that pulling up on the pedal just gives the extra few seconds for the brake pad to release coincidentally.

I'll take a look & post when I find out more.

If pulling up on the pedal releases the brakes.....that right there is telling you that pressure is not releasing on the system....from the master cylinder end.

If it were 100% only the brake hoses.....nothing you could do to the master cylinder would cause them to release.....if the master cylinder is working perfectly.

This wounds like what happens when the pedal is not being pulled all the way back either due to a grimy rusted brake pedal pivot or the same problem on the clevis pin that holds the pushrod onto the pedal or from grit or a sticking/swelled up piston seal. Ray
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

This situation could be rectified by a simple push rod adjustment.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

this is a stupid answer that I apologize in advance for but make sure the rubber mat isn't folded in a way it is stopping the brake pedal from returning. Strange that you would go all those miles and it suddenly begin. There is also a return spring that could have failed. Part 211 721 163 C. The other answers from prior posters are also quite valid. It will take some investigation on your part.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:

There is no reason the pushrod would be out of adjustment unless something broke or bent. Way more likely to be the return spring or something blocking the return of the pedal or rod.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

Check that the pedal is operating freely. On my 59 and 78 the bushings on the brake pedal were dry and once cleaned and lubed fully returned on their own. Pull the booster push rod off and run the pedal through it's full travel and see how it feels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
this is a stupid answer that I apologize in advance for but make sure the rubber mat isn't folded in a way it is stopping the brake pedal from returning. Strange that you would go all those miles and it suddenly begin. There is also a return spring that could have failed. Part 211 721 163 C. The other answers from prior posters are also quite valid. It will take some investigation on your part.

Yeah - its stupid until you spend three hours fault tracing a CANBUS electrical system to find out why the headlights don't work, then figure out both bulbs blew.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Jeff Geisen wrote:

There is no reason the pushrod would be out of adjustment unless something broke or bent. Way more likely to be the return spring or something blocking the return of the pedal or rod.

Most bus drivers don’t check parts like push rod length. Mine just tightened for some reason, however my bus is a daily driver.

Besides, I wrote it ‘could be’ the problem. Sheez.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Yeah - its stupid until you spend three hours fault tracing a CANBUS electrical system to find out why the headlights don't work, then figure out both bulbs blew.
I’ll give you that one, the likelyhood of 2 bulbs dying at the same time is pretty low....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I’ll give you that one, the likelyhood of 2 bulbs dying at the same time is pretty low....

Decades back, I had a pair of friends spend a couple of days trying to figure out why none of the lights worked on one of their aging cars. They wanted me to come over and figure it out for them, which I did. My diagnosis was that every last bulb was bad, EVERY ONE, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, brake lights. The car had been in a minor fender bender and the shock had busted every one of the old filaments.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Abscate wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Except we had replaced a faulty alternator the week before, so an over voltage condition almost certainly took them both out.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Pastelweis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

I am replacing my front brake discs and ran into a similar problem. At first I thought the Remsa break pads were too thick to fit, but then as I pumped the break I noticed the piston did not retract, now making it impossible to fit the new pads back in. My break pedal retracts however. Greatful if OP could respond to how he solved the issue.

Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: brakes not completely releasing Reply with quote

You have to take a bar and pry them back in, as there is no return mechanism like the springs used in drum brakes. Opening the bleeder may help.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: