Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original color or change
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Original color or change Reply with quote

I am restoring a ‘73 that was yellow. It is being media blasted and a total frame off. Trying to decide what color to go back with. Several things(no pun intended).

As far as original, it has a replacement 74 AH motor, so it lacks that in originality. I live in the mountains of WNC, so I’m far from the beach, and I don’t mind going with a darker color, more fitting of the mountains.

I’m considering Avacodo Green vs yellow. I know that is a 74 color. But the question is, how important is it to retain the original color.

I know it’s my choice, but any thoughts, or comments, are appreciated.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Over the years, I have seen Things in many non original colors, and as long as the paint work is done well, it will look good. Look up the east and west coast Kubeltreffens, to see some of the colors out there. Mine is the 73 white, which to me personally is the color I like least of the originals, but the previous owner spent a lot of money to make the color as original, its very well done, so I am not going to change it while it is in my stewardship.I like the 74 avocado green best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

The '74 Thing I own is also white (not the original Blizzard White but Toyota Super White). I have a similar story that a previous owner spent a considerable amount of time and money having a body off restoration done to the car so I have no intentions of repainting it. If I look in the not so obvious places (like under the dash) I can tell that my thing was always white so that's close enough for me.

My favorite original US Thing color is also Avocado Green and my least favorite is the white (although I've since grown to like the white Wink). When I started searching for a Thing here in Ohio I found two other Things both of which were originally painted Avocado Green but had been repainted (one was black and the other was maroon). The black one was a bit of a basket case but the maroon one was is nice shape however I took a pass on it because it was not one of the original colors.

The bottom line is you should buy one in the color you really want or have one painted the color that you want but I personally would not buy one or have one painted in any color other than one of the original colors (white, yellow, orange, green or the two-tone Acapulco scheme).
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Unless you are planning a completely stock restoration, (with semi-gloss paint) why worry about it?
Choose the color you like best.
I have to disagree with Waugamans, because '73 white was always my favorite color.
My car was painted a 1983 VW color in 1983, and it is nothing like stock, but lately I have become partial to a Jeep color called "Anvil" (though I have no current intention to re-paint my car).
Google "Jeep Anvil"

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

I've had this thought as well on certain vehicles I've owned, it does come down to personal preference, but keeping with the vehicle's originality/resaleability in mind, if that's even a thought...
Some folks may not care.

I've learned that on one of my vehicles [66' Mustang] even though the Emberglow paint scheme was kinda rare for 1966, the appraiser
said that color didn't determine price. I've heard that as well from the insurance folks too.
I would argue that especially if it was a 1 of 100 type color, you'd probably want to go back original.

With a Yellow Thing, if it's not your favorite color, If you went yellow, but a different shade, that could work maybe?
Or
Your Avocado Green idea since you mentioned that was a consideration.
Or
Like stock yellow interior and Avocado green on outside, it would just need a repaint on the outer skin to make a future buyer happy and that's cheaper than doing the interior too.

Could that combination of yellow and avocado green work?
(reminds me of a John Deere tractor colors)

But that's where the decision lies, do you repaint it for you? (Avocado Green)
or
Do you repaint it for the next guy? Yellow, Green, Camo, primer?

Best suggestion, take a good photo and play with Photoshop or something an change the color yourself. Look at other THING pictures for examples.

Most folks would either go Stock, a Stock color, or custom.
Pick a few and see if you can dig it.
Once it's done it's done you probably wouldn't want to repaint it on your nickel again.

Cant make up your mind? Paint it a primer color (Gray, Black, Red or something).
Touch up's can be done via rattle can.
(that's why my 51' Ford pickup is still primer/battleship gray). Shocked

Or you could go (was it called the VW Joker Colors, like the VW's that came in every color made [red, yellow, blue, white] ??).

Just remember it's your THING so what ever you do, may Your THING bring you happiness!

Paint can always be repainted, but Let us know what you decide.

Good luck with your decision and don't rush it, if you aren't sure, take your time and get sure.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Double-
Those "Harlequin Golfs" can be worth some serious money if original and well preserved.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They never appealed to me, but that's why cars come in all colors (sometimes all on the same car).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlissBignall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

My 74 has been repainted a couple time by previous owners. Looking behind the dashboard, I see it was originally yellow, then it was painted tan, and finally flat OD green.

The last paint job was poorly done, and the paint is chipping in places. When I have it redone, I'm going to go with either a flat desert tan or back to the OD green.

Once I have driven the wheels off the car, I'm going to put them back on and drive it some more.
1974 Thing....Daily driver on sunny days
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

My first Thing had a textured finish inside and out.
The interior was painted with gray colored wrinkle paint, except for the dash panels and windshield frame which were dark green. Back in the '80's you could buy wrinkle paint in lots of colors (now it's either red or black).
Here we are, enjoying the luxurious interior, back when the workd was young...

The exterior was painted with industrial Rustoleum, applied with a roller in my condo parking lot.
Originally, it was sort of a Stalingrad '42 Winter camo theme.

People used to feel that roller texture and ask "is this fiberglass?"
It looked very presentable (for a car like a Thing), it was cheap, and it only took a couple of hours to do the whole job. If i hadn't found the Thing I drive now,(in 1983) I would probably still own that car.

Check out those bus mirrors attached with re-threaded cast iron pipe flanges Shocked YIKES!
I guess I should have painted the hub caps too; the chrome looks kind of silly now.
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

These are all great comments, and keep them coming. My concern is since the original color was yellow, and I’m stripping the body down to metal, is it better to go back to the original. This car is close to original, but the motor is a 74 AH motor, in the 73. So, from that standpoint, it losses the originality.

When I think of yellow, I think of the beach, or yellow bikinis, while Avacodo Green, reminds me more of the mountains, and closer to Army green. I know that these should have no play, other than in my head.

Trying to decide. As Jimmy Buffet said, “Indecision may or may not be my problem”.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

My vote would be go with what you like, I would like the green too. Besides, it can always be returned to yellow if desired, you haven't hurt it any. I always do what I like rather than worry about resale, you rarely make your money back anyway.

My formerly yellow thing:
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Double-
Those "Harlequin Golfs" can be worth some serious money if original and well preserved.

They never appealed to me, but that's why cars come in all colors (sometimes all on the same car).

Hey Mondshine!
I wouldn't doubt it on the collectability of these Harlequins...

I liked the snow camo Thing that looked pretty neat!

I'd like a color that I could re-paint or touch up as I cant seem to keep mine in but so nice of a condition.

A friendly "krylon color" would be nice, esp that camo idea. If you drive these cars it's impossible to keep them but so clean and nice for so long.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Chadkd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Avacodo Green is a great color and original to Things, if not to the exact year. unless the car is super low mileage and all orig, I wouldn't worry about it. Ive owned three things and only one was the original color. My high school Thing was Porsche India Red. My second one was repainted a creamy white that looked great and my current car is stock/faded yellow. Color never came up in any previous sales discussions with potential buyers. Unless you are going with a crazy paint scheme that would truly be alienating, go with what you like.
uglymug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

I kept mine close to the original pumpkin orange, because it was easier than getting a different color in all the nooks and crannies. But I only took down the paint where the rust bubbled through or I had to replace metal.

One thing to consider is if you plan on putting historic tags on it. Never checked, but your DMV might not take kindly to a Janice Joplin Porsche paint job. Just my 2c. I like the idea of avocado green or something woodsy.

1973 Marina Blue Super Beetle Project "Blooper"
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

I don't think it's so important to stick with a stock color.

This Thing belongs to Samba member Tallman206. I've always liked it.

Whatever the color you choose, I've never seen a metallic color that I loved on the Thing (sorry if I'm ruffling any feathers here.)
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Definitely metallic, but will be satin.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

It's your car so paint it whatever makes you happy. Why are you worrying about resale? Don't you plan to keep it forever? Very Happy I sorta like the one that's painted "Stalingrad" white a few posts above.
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:

This Thing belongs to Samba member Tallman206. I've always liked it.

Love the color too. Found out is RAL7030. I am considering painting my bus in RAL7039...but probably i go for 7030...looks awesome!
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

Jerry's Thing is the nicest "custom" I have ever seen.
That photo is from the Bardstown, KY KTE in 2010.

Take a look at what makes it go:

The interior was beautiful as well:

Check the 7 day timer for his gas heater!

Brilliant execution in all respects!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
Definitely metallic, but will be satin.

I definitely echo those who say "it's your Thing paint it any color you want". However while satin metallics are all the rage now, in ten years they will have gone the way of Members Only jackets and leg warmers. Wink
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Original color or change Reply with quote

I appreciate all the comments. And look forward to more.

I’m very much leaning toward the Avacado. I think the yellow, looks too beachy, while the green fits better with the mountains. Likewise, the green gives it more of a military appearance, dating back to the Kubbelwagen.

I guess the biggest issue is the effect on a relatively low mileage (35k), and deviating from stock, with a 74 color on a 73.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: