Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 74 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoochet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: My 74 Thing Reply with quote

After missing my high school Thing for 30 years, the wife let me buy another one. As long as I installed a roll cage and never let the kids drive it, she was ok with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I installed a TTS show bar and recolored the bikini top. Both came out great.

Here is a half colored pic of the top, midway through recoloring.

After taking it for my first real drive yesterday, I realized there were some problems that I could use some suggestions.

Background: One of the POs did some major electrical revamping to the car. I have partially sorted it out, but it looks like they took apart some things in order to run wires to the rear and never put them back in place correctly.

First: The stench of gasoline. After getting back from my drive, the entire front hood smelled of gas. All the hoses and tubing are old, so I ordered the TTS gas smell kit. That is when I noticed that all of the vapor venting lines are capped off. This pic shows the venting line coming out of the T-connector capped off. The rear outlet of the expansion tank is open without a tube connected. There are no lines going back to the engine - probably removed and never replaced during the electrical modifications.

It is also missing the charcoal canister in the rear.

I could use suggestions/recommendations on what to do with the venting lines.

Second: The electrical genius ran all the electrical wires through a flexible conduit along the side of the tunnel. As a result the heat distribution parts no longer fit. I have the parts, but I will have to rewire the entire rear of the car to get them back in place.

I don't really need heat, since I only have a bikini top and don't plan on running it in the cold.

The problem is that I have 2 heat tubes under the rear seat pumping hot air on the legs of the kids in the back. I would prefer to just vent these outside the car, but could use suggestions/recommendations on where to vent and how.

Also, anyone know where I can get the missing rubber piece for the lower lip of the glove box?

Thanks in advance for any help.

[/b]
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 74 Thing Reply with quote

Hi, nice looking thing. regarding the venting, at least get the "final opening" from the expansion tank out of the trunk, I have mine routed underneath to the right front wheel opening. I don't have the rear canister either. For your dash here's a used one
http://www.thingparts.com/padded-strip-lower-right-dash-pad-used/
It's a good place for used parts, I've bought from him before.
Hoochet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 74 Thing Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
regarding the venting, at least get the "final opening" from the expansion tank out of the trunk, I have mine routed underneath to the right front wheel opening. I don't have the rear canister either.

That is what I was thinking, but I would prefer to filter it somehow before just venting it out. Something to stop the garage from smelling like gas.

KAmes wrote:

For your dash here's a used one
http://www.thingparts.com/padded-strip-lower-right-dash-pad-used/
It's a good place for used parts, I've bought from him before.

Thanks, I didn't know what to call it.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: My 74 Thing Reply with quote

In the event it might be useful, here is a link to a looong thread in the late bugs area that explores the charcoal canister EVAP system with tons of information about how the system works and what to do about the charcoal canister, refilling and rebuilding it, almost anything you want to know.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389074&highlight=
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: