Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside)
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurboMeTroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everett warned me...

"GoFundMe stuff can only be posted in the "Off Topic" Forum on the site.

Be aware that people will probably jump on you as a lot of members hate this sort of begging for money stuff."

Not exactly the help I was hoping for from the get-go, but hey. That's okay. I have faith in The Samba community. I know everyone has experienced loss of some sort, at some point in their lives. My best friend, Jason McCarty, was one of the 36 people who died in the Ghost Ship warehouse fire in Oakland, Dec 2016. One of the last projects he and I worked on together was painting a 1971 VW Bus van. He and I both moved away from the midwest and the van changed hands several times over the next 15 years or so. Fast forward to his untimely death and now the owner has sent the van to auction (April 2nd) in Hamilton, IL.

I've started a GoFundMe to buy the bus back in honor of Jason and my plan is donate the Bus to MICA and/or SFAI to showcase the artwork. The interior is nice and all that. It runs good I guess, but I'm really in it for the preservation of Jason's art.

Please at least check the Go Fund Me page before you just skip this thread over. I'm a long time lurker, have had several (maybe 50?) air-cooled VWs and probably 300+ BMWs/VWs overall. I love the scene. I hope you guys can help.

<3
Troy

https://www.gofundme.com/JasonMcCartyVWbus

Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Cool bus, sorry for your loss. By posting this thread, you have probably attracted more potential bidders than donors, good luck with bidding. Thanks for the link.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TurboMeTroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Thanks, I doubt it (I believe in humans), and thanks again!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

TurboMeTroy wrote:
(I believe in humans)

As do I Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Being unfamiliar with the workings of the GoFundMe site, what happens to the donated funds if you aren’t the high bidder?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

It states he would donate the $$ to the family.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
TurboMeTroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Yes - If whatever amount of money raised (+my 30%) isn't enough, I'm just going to give it to his parents (who I obviously know well.)

Thanks!
vdubmax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

I can personally vouch for Troy. He is doing this for all the right reasons. If the bus is not won he will donate 100% of the money. Good luck on this Troy!
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

vdubmax wrote:
I can personally vouch for Troy. He is doing this for all the right reasons. If the bus is not won he will donate 100% of the money. Good luck on this Troy!

Yup-----that's the way folks roll down here in the southeast corner of the Cornpatch.
TurboMeTroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Thx Max!
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

TurboMeTroy wrote:
I'm a long time lurker, have had several (maybe 50?) air-cooled VWs and probably 300+ BMWs/VWs overall.

Everett was right.....
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TurboMeTroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow the correlation between what you quoted and Everett's 'warning', but hey - have a great week!
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Maybe you could sell some of the 300+ VW/BMW’s and raise the money that way.
TurboMeTroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
Maybe you could sell some of the 300+ VW/BMW’s and raise the money that way.

Ahh - if that's the assumption, sorry. I meant over the course of my life I've had that many vs. currently. And I did just sell a '99 318ti to go towards this.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

Whether you win this auction or not, Troy, I have a feeling that this strange and wonderful bus will live on. Very Happy
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Please help...I mean, PLEASE help. (hand-painted VW Bus inside) Reply with quote

February Hemmings

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: