Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdaug5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Hello, just picked up a 64 Bus. The Bus is well documented going back to the original purchase date and all service records. All the paperwork with a picture of the first owner is all in a 3 ring binder. That in itself is really cool.

Problems are lots of rust. The original paint is faded and panels will need to be replaced. This is my first Bus and looking for good places to order parts. I know there are a bunch of places out there but I want to get good quality parts.

So where do you guys go for replacement parts, panels, weatherstripping etc.?

Thanks for your input
Kenny
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

First, that does not have a lot of rust. That has less rust than my daily driver 66 kombi.

Second, that has strong original paint. It's a few issues that can be ignored. If you really want to get the rockers fixed. and touch up on the window ledges when you replace the windshield seals. Or you could roll it as is, I don't see anything horrible. It doesn't rain much in California anyhow.

Third, that paint will buff out.

Read this to see what people think of original paint with a few dings etc.:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104334&highlight=patina

What's the interior like?

Sweet find!
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Hello kdaug5, Congrats on your new 64 Standard score. Love the color combo, good shape, and pretty complete. Nothing a dolly and a hammer cant take care of in the mean time while you gather your parts while still enjoying.
There are many parts stores you can you can choose from but here are a few to at least get you started.

Wolfsburgwest.com - They have lots to choose from, body panels, interior, window rubber, weather strip,engine parts to brakes. Good quality parts and pretty quick shipping.

KlassicFab.com - also has plenty of body panels and replacement metal.

Bustorations.com - they also sell plenty of parts and even sell replacement metal as well.

forgot to mention that top right of the page has businesses that advertise on here you may want to click on see all banners and select from there as well. Smile

Hopefully this will help you to start your research. Good Luck on your Bus, let me know if there are any questions you may have I will do my best to answer or try lead you in the right direction. Peter Cool

Last edited by GERMANAIRE on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

What's to fix or repair that bus is tits,..drive enjoy it..don't seat the small chit...you can do all the rest down the road a peice....that 11 window is great.
Tell us it's story...all buses have a story..
Cheers
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

I’d definitely try to keep all that original paint, versus doing something silly like a full repaint, or restoration. Focus your efforts on making the bus structurally sound and mechanically reliable.

The rust that you included pics of should be addressed soon, but it’s not like you can’t drive and enjoy it a while first. The rust openings behind the tires can pick up dirt, dust, and road debris and then get wet, compacted, and hold moisture for a long time, keeping the rust advancing. A vicious cycle. If you keep it cleaned out and treat it with some Ospho, or other rustreatment, you can go just about indefinitely until welding in fresh metal.
kdaug5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Wow appreciate the info. I've been cleaning and getting to know the Bus and the rust isn't all that bad. For now I would like to order some seat coverings. How can I find out the color I need? It is a off white or beige. I want to order the right color. Can I find this out from reading my vin?
Thanks again
Kenny
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Hey Kenny, on the top of this page to the right you will see technical, hover your mouse over it and select paint and upholstery. Then scroll down to standard 1964 and you will have selections depending on wether your bus is early 64 or late 64. You will be able to determine that from your M-code plate behind passenger seat mounted with screws on the bulkhead. In technical you could also search for M-code plate and it will tell you what each number means
Post a picture of your M-code If you get a chance, there is also a M-code plate thread I believe.

For vin and chassis numbers go here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

For M-code Plates go here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php

For Paint and Upholstery go here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

Search around those tabs on the top and you will get lots of information. You also have very cool people on this site that will help you when you need it. Good Luck Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdaug5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Here is the vin plate and interior

I've been reading the tech but can't figure out how to read the vin plate
Thanks
Kenny
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

That rust is better than average. That bus is still cherry. An easy one to knock out. Super strong OG paint.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Looks like:
16 6
June 15, 1964

429: North American Export Packaging.

025: US-Spec Bumpers and 6 Pop-out Windows, and Safety Belts

114: 6 Pop-out Side Windows

UT: Tourist Delivery Program

22/28- Micro Bus
2213: 221 Model #: Cargo Doors Right Side, Left Hand Drive /
3: Paint Finish Synthetic Resin Finish

454480: Lower Color / Upper Color Upholstery
45: L53 Sealing Wax Red
44: L472 Beige Grey
80: Standard Upholstery Basalt Grey

Vin Number: 1318013

You can double check m-code here just in case:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/id.php

Also check for all your colors here, Paint, Upholstery, wheels, steering wheels, bumpers, emergency brake etc.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php
GERMANAIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

On Paint, dolly out dents, fix rust and blend. Spruce up interior like clean panels, new seat upholstery, window seals if needed etc.
Engine, detailed cleaning, tune up, new fuel filter and belt replace whats needed and enjoy!
The simpler the better Very Happy
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

A 64 SWR/BG standard had a basalt interior.

The seat came with heat seams, like these:

This seat has sewn pleats, that go all the way to the beading. That means it is earlier.:

Here is a discussion of buses in yours' colours.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531760&highlight=swr

more interior pics of your bus? Smile
So.Cal Danny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Killer bus man. My wife spotted it right by my daughters dance studio being towed by a van. That original paint looks really good. Like others here have said, wolfsburg west, bustoration or klassic Fab for any parts you need.

Shine that paint with some TR3, looks like it will shine up nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kdaug5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

So.Cal Danny wrote:
Killer bus man. My wife spotted it right by my daughters dance studio being towed by a van. That original paint looks really good. Like others here have said, wolfsburg west, bustoration or klassic Fab for any parts you need.

Shine that paint with some TR3, looks like it will shine up nice.

Haha we stopped at Gourmet for a cold Beer after a full day of driving.

Appreciate all the positive comments. Love these Busses
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Beware of just tossing out stuff like interior panels. Sure there are new ones out there, but often they just do not look right. Other stuff new does not fit, work, or last like the original German parts.

Got image/s of the underside/back of that front seat? Does not look correct...
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Wow! Thats an awesome bus! Congrats on the score!
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

any other pics? looks great
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Beware of just tossing out stuff like interior panels. Sure there are new ones out there, but often they just do not look right. Other stuff new does not fit, work, or last like the original German parts.

Got image/s of the underside/back of that front seat? Does not look correct...

X2 It is surprising how well original interior panels can clean up with some work. There are many examples in this forum. And they will match the character of your exterior, too!

I thought that seat looked a little unusual, too.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Owner and First Bus 64 11 window Reply with quote

When you attend the next OCTO meet. Yes, I said when. Bring along any interior panels, mats, glass you replace. I mean everything you take off that doesn't disintegrate in your hands- because folks want it and will help you offset your restoration costs! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: