Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which battery for a bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

Shame on me for not checking sooner... my battery was 9 (12/07) years old (Sears Die Hard Group 35) and it worked perfectly until the other night whereupon it died.

I bought this battery:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-65/p-02850765000P

Group EP-65 which was only a tiny bit larger than my last one. 775 CCA and almost $200 including tax.

Thank goodness it failed at a gas station.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by chabanais on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
I bought this battery:

http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanced-gold-agm-battery-group-size-65/p-02850765000P

But that has the terminals on the wrong side.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

That looks correct for an early bay. The chassis ground lug changed some time around 72 or 73; early bays ground to the rear.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
That looks correct for an early bay. The chassis ground lug changed some time around 72 or 73; early bays ground to the rear.

Robbie

Yup.

Smile
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
we recently did quite a bit of research on this and decided on the larger group 48 Interstate battery instead of the stock battery on May 24, 2014. It cranked the car over Saturday, having not charged since May 25, when we got back from Yosemite, and it did so with real gusto compared to the a flaps red top battery even when that one was new. Consumer Reports rated the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-48/H6 as a top pick in the group 48. It is not an AGM however those are another $100 - $130 above this in price. This one was about $125.

cnp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

For the '68 t2, I've been using the equivalent of a group 48. The exact item is a Deka 640 RMF, which gives me 4 to 6 years of service. I understand that the Group 42 is the original, but I found that the 640 RMF works quite well and outlasts others.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

Wow that's a weird coincidence that you revived this thread.

I just bought a new battery for my 68 today. It is a group 41 though.
I bought what my mechanic said to get. Smile

My 1968 Campmobile
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

I had poor results with the Bosch sold by Pep Boys so would recommend anything but that.

I replaced it with the largest battery that would fit from Walmart H - 8 and have been very happy. It barely fit and may not fit in a stock bus. I removed the carbon cannister when I switched to diesel. Walmart told me when I bought it that if it didn't fit, I could bring it back.

Pep Boys tested the returned battery at 770 CA and said it was fine. Their tester uses thin wires (maybe 8 GA) and I'm not sure how that could really pass 770 amps like the Pep Boys guy claimed.

I was politely insistent on returning it -- after all, it tests poorly in my test machine: the bus and so now have a credit at Pep Boys for $130ish.

YMMV

Mark
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

markd89 wrote:

Pep Boys tested the returned battery at 770 CA and said it was fine. Their tester uses thin wires (maybe 8 GA) and I'm not sure how that could really pass 770 amps like the Pep Boys guy claimed.

Load testers generally put a modest load on the battery, like 100 amps, and measure the voltage sag. The 770CA is extrapolated based on the sag. Some newer ones use digital wizardry and may not even pull 100 amps. I’m with you, the test that matters is the bus test. Still, a good idea to check your cables and grounds.
rjsummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

The original battery from VW for the 1978 bus had the terminals recessed so the the top of the battery terminals were just below flush with the top of the battery. There was also a cover over the top of the battery, part number 281915411G. The specs of the battery were...

-54 Ampere-hours for the USA market, 63 for the Canadian market.
-reserve capacity 115
-CCA 650
-positive terminal at the rear of the vehicle, ground at the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The answer is....

the biggest one that will fit the hole.

Oh the posilbiltys in answering this. Shocked Razz Rolling Eyes
I just bought a new interstate goupe 42 I have had REAL good luck with interstate the one in my Audi is over 10 years old same with my Vanagon the one in my 71 westy is over 8 years old so I just got one for my 70 westy.
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

This thread is old but still seems like the most recent r.e. bus batteries. Thanks for all the discussion.

Likely I'll get a group 24 from Costco for my '71 Bay Window Westy.

Couple of questions for you all:

1. I've got a corner of my old battery showing through a rust-hole underneath. The welded-down nut for the bolt-down seems intact but I don't have the holder. So I'm planning to buttress the battery compartment floor there with a steel sheet larger than the defect and probably add a plastic battery holder as well. I used a marine box when I added a house battery on the left and it worked well to hold down but the cover wouldn't fit with the overhead clearance. Not sure how I'll secure it down to the rusty metal on the right. I'm planning a fuller restoration soon so will do a "quick and dirty" now. The battery acid mat also seems like a good idea. Any other suggestions on this?

2. r.e. Optima or AGM batteries: since I've got a sealed lead-acid house battery also, I'm thinking I should match that tech as I want the charging characteristics to match the starting battery. Maybe this doesn't matter much with charging from the stock VR, but if you use a trickle/float charger the float voltage is dependent on the battery tech. I'm also toying with the idea of adding a solar panel up top of my Westy pop-top fiberglass, and all the solar charge controllers I've seen have optimizing settings for the battery type. Nobody has discussed matching tech for two batteries here that I have seen - any thoughts about that?

As for aeromech, he's always spot-on! But to further go where bigbore threatened (and how appropriate is THAT name for a discussion like this?!), the only variable for me - at least until I was married - was the size of the hole I was getting into, not the bore (or stroke) of what I pounded into it, as I'm pretty much stuck with what I've got!

- Jack
I will probably be seen as an asshole for this comment.....but thats fine because I am an asshole.
jack-o-van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

FYI:

here's some battery size charts I gleaned for you all, in case you know how big the hole is that you want to get it in to:

I will probably be seen as an asshole for this comment.....but thats fine because I am an asshole.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

No idea about your rust issues… I do know that some new battery trays have battery hold down supports/threads on the left side tray as well. The only way to go, in my opinion.

Mixing tech isn't the worst thing you can do with a dual battery system, especially if they're decoupled during stationary use. Alternators are dumb devices that will put out current when asked for. Once you're stopped, solar or shore power take over charging the house battery only, because it should be decoupled from the (full) starter battery now.

My suggestion would be to set your programmable devices to match your more expensive house battery, since the starter battery won't really have much to do. Those running a single battery need to be conscious of extracting every electron efficiently. If you have extra to spare, you can get away with less efficiency.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

ya I am still here listening Shocked
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

Hello Jack,
jack-o-van wrote:
...and probably add a plastic battery holder as well
Plastic wouldn't be my choice, sorry. A battery like this weighs a lot and should be secured properly so that it doesn't come loose at the next bump in the road and damage everything in the engine compartment.

The battery base plate, the retaining strip on the outside at the top, the V-shaped holder for the screw at the bottom and the clamp at the top for the screw at a 45 degree angle are still available as spare parts here in Europe - and I guess also in the US. I recently bought one set for the second battery on the left.

Quote:
The battery acid mat also seems like a good idea.

It is no longer needed with modern batteries. I did not see any issue at my cars today - and the past 25 years.
With old batteries you had to fill up with water and splash around.

I use a thick/multi-layered rubber mat under the middle of the 353mm large supply battery, as the sheet metal is only designed for batteries up to 278mm long and the large one doesn't rest flat otherwise. With cutout for water drainage hole.

Quote:
Any other suggestions on this?

Don't forget the water drainage hole in the sheet metal under the battery. The battery plate usually rusts because water and dirt collect. Keeping it clean and dry from above and below helps. Also think about mud flaps depending how you use your car.

Quote:
2. r.e. Optima or AGM batteries...

keep care of your generator - for some you need a additional charging booster. And if you could spend more money the best way today is to go for somehow expensive LiFePo4 batteries.

But I decided against it and use only the latest lead battery generation - Enhanced Flooded Battery (EFB) with 70Ah and 95Ah. With normal generator and solar charger and 230V shore power 25 A charger. The batteries are only connected if charging by a special 120A relay, so the starter battery is not drained. You should also have a voltage monitor so that the supply battery does not go down deep. This is ensured in my case by the solar charger to which the internal load is connected.

More details and photos at https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/electrics-de.html

Standard starter battery in Europe was only 45Ah.
I choose my starter battery somehow bigger with more reserves for adventure trips and also used for the air compressor in the front to change tire pressures offroad and in sand deserts etc.

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bnanwel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

Get a marine battery box. Add to stainless steel footman straps for the nylon hold down strap and a marine dual purpose battery (27 series-ish). You will have no problem with further: “spilled acid”, worries of inadvertently shorting the terminals, and no problem checking the water in the decidedly non-maintenance free lead acid battery(maintenance free battery being the dumbest misnomer of all time)! FWIW, I have seen boat upside down with the batteries still in the box hanging from the once deck now ceiling.
‘70 Deluxe
‘72 Deluxe
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

The correct battery for your bus is a Group 41. My current 79 has that battery as did my former 77 and 76 vans and I believe the 74 I had from new also had a Group 41 battery but that was a very long time ago. Other batterys may fit but will the stock hold down clamp work?

I run a Group 31 AGM battery for my BN4, Nova Kool electric fridge and a few 12V outlets and lights all via a 6 fuse panel. It is mounted under the back seat in a marine battery box with custom mounts. It is charged by the 70 amp alternator and a 110V power converter when plugged in. Power is switched by an 80 amp relay. I have had no issues with the electrical system.

I recently replaced the battery tray with an Autocraft unit. It is very well made and the battery fit properly with the stock clamp and bolt. I also replaced the right rear lower corner with an Klokkerholm piece. The two did not fit together particularly well. Unfortunately that was all I could get so I made it work.

My experience with Klokkerholm panels is that they are poorly made and very frustrating to install. I do not know if Autocraft makes the corner panel. I could not find one when I did the repair a few months ago. FYI.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: