Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What CA city is your car from? DMV letter prefix 1963-69
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BZ65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool stale air. Thanks for posting the list and thanks for all the replies when you weren't able to post the list.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
kidvintage, if you knew how long stale air has been in this hobby, you might retract your asshole statement, or delete it entirely.
Ooops, too late, somebody has quoted it, so now it's there for everyone to see what a jerk you are.
Do the VW world a favor.... go buy a Ford or Chevy.
Now, I wouldn't blame stale air if he were to just stop helping people in this hobby, if his work and time and effort is going to be attacked by ignorant people, who don't know him, or what he is about.

people that do not collect, or have collected, vw literature may not have a clue on how hard it is to find it.
especially literature found before thesamba existed. right Dave? Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kidvintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stale Air -

Thank you VERY much for following through on your word and sharing this information with the classic car community. I dont know if the domestic car guys have this information or not, but i am sure they will pick-up on it soon. This is a tremendous resource for "black plate geeks" like myself......Aaron, the beers are on me at the next Sacramento Bug-O-Rama.

A few notable things popped out at me:

1. AAA-FEU are all NorCal plates & FEV-KVZ are all SoCal plates. I had no idea that such HUGE blocks of plates were segregated by region.

2. I am surprised at the amount of obscure NorCal DMV's that are out there. It is surprising that there are MANY more NorCal DMV's than SoCal DMV's.

3. The NTA-RDA block issued out of Los Angeles is particularly large. Obviously.

4. It is generally accepted (before this list) that the "R-S-T" plates are from 1966 & the "N-O-P-Q" plates are from 1965. What I infer from this list is that "NTA-RDA" plates should have been issued from LA beginning in 1963. So the preconcieved notion that all "N" plates are 1965 can be thrown out the window. "NTA" was probably issued in 1963 out of Los Angeles. Cool Stuff!! Very Happy
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHS issued in september 1964 to my 65 bus. L.A. even tho' original owner lived in san diego.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kidvintage wrote:

2. I am surprised at the amount of obscure NorCal DMV's that are out there. It is surprising that there are MANY more NorCal DMV's than SoCal DMV's.

Just a guess, but the reason might have to do with the ruralness of NorCal, especially in the 60's. Everything was much more spread out, and NorCal Dmv's were maybe not as easily within driving distance as compared to SoCal Dmv's.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stale Air, I imagine your guess is right on the money. I wanted to see which plates were issued from the Crescent City DMV, as the next closest town is Eureka, 80 miles away, and back in the '60's that stretch of Highway 101 was NOT what it is now... need to go to Eureka back then? plan on pretty much an all-day expedition.
I'm not sure if you remember me, but me have met and conversed on a few occasions, I know of a couple of Kelley Parks where we chewed the fat for a while....

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'm not sure if you remember me, but me have met and conversed on a few occasions, I know of a couple of Kelley Parks where we chewed the fat for a while....

Dave, Im sorry to say off the top of my head I dont remember. Embarassed But, I will be at the Bug Bash over in Vallejo on the 26th. If you are going, look me up, we can chew some more fat! Very Happy
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I wish I could find out what my UDX one was Sad
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '63 Notch left the factory in Sept 1962. The annual CA vehicle registration slip (the one the fuzz asks to see) shows a 'date first sold' of 00/00/1962. My 1963 license plate letters are IMA, therefore it was issued from the Santa Monica DMV office. My brother bought the Notch in April 1970 while attending UCLA, only a 4.5 mile drive from the Santa Monica DMV. I bought it from him in Oct 1971.

The plate letters issued from Santa Monica go from IMA to IPS. (See: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5373345&highlight=#5373345) The three numbers of my plate are 015. So I conclude that my plates are the 15th ones issued by the Santa Monica DMV office for the then new black and yellow plates. Mine don't look so new now. Sad

I dare anyone to come up with a still-in-use black plate that was issued before mine. #Bad Talk
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: What CA city is your car from? DMV letter prefix 1963-69 Reply with quote

For those of you with "later" letter/number plates, at some point once the yellow to black plate conversion was done the state issued them sequentially, like they do now. No need for the local DMV's to stockpile plates anymore.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
EverettB wrote:
I happened to see this thread.

Mail it to me.
I'll scan it, add it to the site, and pay postage both ways.
I'd rather I pay the entire thing than any money go to Kinko's.
PM or email me directly if this is possibility as I may not see your response.

Thanks Everett, I appreciate the offer. Smile

Dave, thanks for the support, its appreciated as well. Cool

So, since kidvintage so eloquently asked for the list, here it is.
Now, because the print is so small I had to photocopy it, and also blow it up. So the clarity is not perfect. Click on it to enlarge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

photobucket sucks....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
DztBugy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What CA city is your car from? DMV letter prefix 1963-69 Reply with quote

Blast from the past.
Anyone know which DMV would have issued plate prefix XMW?
Thanks
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What CA city is your car from? DMV letter prefix 1963-69 Reply with quote

DztBugy wrote:
Blast from the past.
Thanks

That’s the only info he has, my guess would be north San Diego County, I had a 69 fastback with the letters XLK, but it’s just a guess.

German Folks
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What CA city is your car from? DMV letter prefix 1963-69 Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
DztBugy wrote:
Blast from the past.
Thanks

That’s the only info he has, my guess would be north San Diego County, I had a 69 fastback with the letters XLK, but it’s just a guess.

I would second that guess. My folks bought a new 1969 Ford Stationwagon with plates ZMM 666. San Diego County.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: