Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Motive Power Bleeder How-to?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Can someone explain in detail the correct steps to get a reply good pedal using a Motive Power Bleeder without a second person to pump the brake pedal?

Thanks!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

1. Go to each wheel and tighten shoes tight against the drums
2. Top off the brake res then attach the motive and pump it up till the pressure gauge reads where you want it
3. Go to a wheel and attach a hose to the brake bleeder and into a clear plastic bottle and crack it. You will see the brake fluid forced out along with air etc. Once it runs clear with no air bubbles then close the valve.
4. Go back to the res and make sure there is still pressure and do one more wheel (you may need to add more brake fluid first though depending how much air is in the system.
5. Continue around the car and do all the wheels
6. Once you are done back off the brake adjusters and top off the res one last time. Your pedal should be firm.

I think the instructions have you put brake fluid into the container, but when you are done it makes a huge mess with brake fluid all over so using it just for a pressure bleeder as I described above works best for me.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. How much pressure do you pump it to in step #2? 10lbs? 15lbs? More?

And for #1, do you tighten them to where they just rub or where you can't turn the wheel by hand?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

I think they recommend 8-10 lbs. That's what I use. Don't go over that. Once you get the hang of it you can do all 4 in minutes. Much better then "pump it up. pump it up again...." I don't bother with putting a hose on the bleeder. I just catch it in a cup so I can reuse it. You'll see and hear when the bubbles are done. Do not let the MC go dry or you'll have to start all over again.
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Victor, I purchased my bleeder from John at aircooled.net which came with the proper 'cap' for the VW reservoir. However, I found it hard to hook up and remove because there was no way to install or remove the cap from the reservoir without turning the whole unit. So, I made the modification shown below....it's just a 'swivel fitting'. This allowed me to install and remove the cap without twisting the whole tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, put a quart or two of brake fluid in the tank, hook it up and pump it to 10 psi....you may have to pump it again if you're bleeding an entirely empty system or if you're 'purging' old fluid out.

You can bleed in any sequence but I leave the left front for last because it's closest to the reservoir so I can easily watch the reservoir.

When completed, lay the tank on it's side so that no more fluid will be pushed into the system then open the left front bleeder and watch the fluid level in the reservoir. When it's down to it's 'full level', close the bleed screw, let the pressure off the tank and remove it from the system via the 'swivel' connector. Remove the bleeder cap from the reservoir and install the regular cap and you're finished.

Hope this helps,

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Thanks gents. Mort, i actually installed that same swivel set up on my bleeder based on your picture, which i found in another thread. I've tried vernonc's method but can't ever seem to get a solid pedal. I'll tackle it again this weekend and let you guys know how it goes.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Every time I've did mine I didn't adjust the brakes past where I normally adjust them and I always got good pedal. I just fill the brake fluid reservoir, pump the tank to 8-10 lbs, pick a wheel and loosen the bleeder until no more air comes out, then move onto another wheel. I do like the swivel idea though. I gotta try that. I wonder if there is something like an quick connect air hose connection that doesn't leak that would work.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I wonder if there is something like an quick connect air hose connection that doesn't leak that would work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DE89ZYM/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

Here's the male...plenty of this stuff available. I'm not sure how the coupling connection (the female piece) would hold up if one were to run brake fluid through it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Dwayne1m wrote:
I wonder if there is something like an quick connect air hose connection that doesn't leak that would work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DE89ZYM/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

Here's the male...plenty of this stuff available. I'm not sure how the coupling connection (the female piece) would hold up if one were to run brake fluid through it.

Thanks. I'm going to try that. I don't put any fluid thru the hose, just air pressure. That will make it much easier to install that cap on the reservoir.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

After using the Motive Power Bleeder a few times, I decided to just leave the jug empty, and use it as an air supply.
Just attach the cap, and pump it up to 10-15 PSI.
If you re-fill the reservoir after each wheel, there is no danger of running the reservoir dry. This is a much cleaner way to do the job; less chance of spilled brake fluid, and no clean up.

A few years ago, a friend had borrowed my Motive, so I just made this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This thing cost less than $10, and works just as well as the Motive.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
This thing cost less than $10, and works just as well as the Motive.

Good luck, Mondshine

Is the trick here to just modify a stock reservoir cap with a hose attach fitting? I think I'll pursue this route since most people are only using the Motive as a pressure vessel anyway.

It's funny, as I get older, friends are busy having kids and moving out of the area, the GF doesn't live with me, etc., and sometimes finding a brake-pumping assistant isn't always convenient.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Sounding to me like most people use it only as a pressuring device w/out any fluid in it. I've got the attaching and detaching of the hose to the reservoir down to where I hardly spill more than a few drops of fluid. Is it still preferred to use the device just to pressurize the system?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

I use my power bleeder with fluid in the tank, pointless to buy the power bleeder and only use as a pass through for air. Following the instructions printed on the reservoir actually work.

Brakes only need to be adjusted normally, not tight, does nothing to aid the bleeding.

When done bleeding you can either do what vernoc suggested to clear the line and set the reservoir level or release the pressure from the tank, lower the tank so it is below the vehicle reservoir then tilt the tank enough so the pickup tube in the tank is exposed, the excess fluid in the hose will flow back into the tank, remove the fitting from the reservoir, no mess, I use a large irrigation syringe to suck any fluid from the reservoir to get to the fill line, also use the same syringe to top off the reservoir when needed.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

I finally got a solid pedal by changing my method to add something Bill posted in a different thread. I adjusted the stars to where they wouldn't go anymore and I could no longer turn the tires. Brakes virtually locked. Then I connected the motive bleeder, with plenty of fluid, and pressurized to 10-12psi. Had my wife pump the brakes a couple of sets of 10 & hold per tire, and it worked. I backed the shoes out 2-4 clicks per stars to where I could turn the wheel by hand with some drag, done. I have an almost perfect pedal now.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
... I adjusted the stars to where they wouldn't go anymore and I could no longer turn the tires. Brakes virtually locked.,.

Bingo, that's the key to bleeding!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

the problem with having fluid in the bleeder is (1) it'll spill when you disconnect it and (2) the fluid in the bleeder will go bad by absorbing moisture from the air in the tank....keeping a pressure bleeder full is ok for a front end shop thats using it on ten cars a day but if you're using it once a year it should be drained and cleaned after every use ....or just left empty
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Read previous posts, if disconnected properly fluid does not spill, even the Motive bleeder's instructions state to empty the tank after use. The only power bleeder I know of that can store fluid are the bladder types, slightly more expensive than a Motive brand or home made.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Between a couple of handy shop towels and care, I didn't spill more than a drop when disconnecting it. However, it is an issue that it's about 1/4 full of brake fluid i hopefully won't have to use again for a year. Should I dump this? Put it back in the container?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I finally got a solid pedal by changing my method to add something Bill posted in a different thread. I adjusted the stars to where they wouldn't go anymore and I could no longer turn the tires. Brakes virtually locked. Then I connected the motive bleeder, with plenty of fluid, and pressurized to 10-12psi. Had my wife pump the brakes a couple of sets of 10 & hold per tire, and it worked. I backed the shoes out 2-4 clicks per stars to where I could turn the wheel by hand with some drag, done. I have an almost perfect pedal now.

I have a home made bleeder made out of a weed sprayer with a gauge on it. It works great solo when I flush my old brake fluid out every couple of years. However, when I install new master cylinders, it just doesn't get ALL the air out despite having the pads adjusted tightly to the drums.

Doing the old school pedal pump with a helper also seems to apply enough pressure to the system to dislodge the remaining air bubbles. You then get the hard brake pedal that we all expect.

When you back off the pad adjustments after getting all the air out, you want to hear only a very slight drag of each pad on the drums. Too tight and you'll heat up the drum and bearing grease.

Also- VERY IMPORTANT- Make sure the adjustments are EQUAL on both adjusters in each drum. You should see the same amount of threads on the adjusters that push the pads against the drums. You want the pads to come out equally as you apply the brakes.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Motive Power Bleeder How-to? Reply with quote

Vamram, I would put it back in the bottle for you never know when you might need to top off, date the bottle so when the next time comes around to bleed and it has really been a long time just toss it and buy new.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: