Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mekanism wrote:
DAV!D wrote:
mekanism wrote:
^^^
Oh that sucks! Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to figure out a way to get an I4 besides the 1.8T into a cali van legally. California is basically forcing us to use other loopholes.

I'm still researching whether or not all of the vehicles that come with an Ecotec use the passkey system, and how to bypass it. This would be a very inexpensive swap if you can just use the oem ecu, wiring, and if using an engine from a RWD vehicle weld the mounts to a vw mustache bar.

The engine is the same, regardless if it was from a front wheel drive or rear. The block has the engine mount holes for either. The only difference is which mounts were used and the exhaust manifold.

As for the ECU, it's the anti-theft key deal that has to be removed. You can mod a stock harness, but it's sort of a figure it out yourself due to this engine coming from so many different cars with different harnesses.

You can however buy ready to go ECU/ stand alone harnesses in the $800-$900 range.

This is the engine height of the guy I met that had already installed a 2.2 in his Westy. He claimed to get 28mpg out of his.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh man, that is really tall! No way to get it lower? I guess the Ecotec has a much thicker head than the Zetec?

Well his was a 2wd but with my Syncro it shouldn't be quite that high. However it doesn't really matter to me because I'm doing a custom interior so if the bed sits up slightly higher it's not a big deal.

His used the stock foam pad and with his custom engine cover the stock rear mattress still fit over it, he just cut it out so the foam fit over it, then had a mattress topper I believe that he laid over the whole thing when it was a bed.
Alpha Fab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
mekanism wrote:
DAV!D wrote:
mekanism wrote:
^^^
Oh that sucks! Thanks for the info. I was really hoping to figure out a way to get an I4 besides the 1.8T into a cali van legally. California is basically forcing us to use other loopholes.

I'm still researching whether or not all of the vehicles that come with an Ecotec use the passkey system, and how to bypass it. This would be a very inexpensive swap if you can just use the oem ecu, wiring, and if using an engine from a RWD vehicle weld the mounts to a vw mustache bar.

The engine is the same, regardless if it was from a front wheel drive or rear. The block has the engine mount holes for either. The only difference is which mounts were used and the exhaust manifold.

As for the ECU, it's the anti-theft key deal that has to be removed. You can mod a stock harness, but it's sort of a figure it out yourself due to this engine coming from so many different cars with different harnesses.

You can however buy ready to go ECU/ stand alone harnesses in the $800-$900 range.

This is the engine height of the guy I met that had already installed a 2.2 in his Westy. He claimed to get 28mpg out of his.

Oh man, that is really tall! No way to get it lower? I guess the Ecotec has a much thicker head than the Zetec?

Well his was a 2wd but with my Syncro it shouldn't be quite that high. However it doesn't really matter to me because I'm doing a custom interior so if the bed sits up slightly higher it's not a big deal.

His used the stock foam pad and with his custom engine cover the stock rear mattress still fit over it, he just cut it out so the foam fit over it, then had a mattress topper I believe that he laid over the whole thing when it was a bed.

We've helped a bunch of folks on these! We've got combo kits in stock - we've even got a turbo one running around here somewhere!

-AFI

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what my mechanic in Mexico is doing to my '82 Westy.
They are doing this conversion to sandrails and Baja racing vehicles too.

This pictures are from another customer's Vanagon.
I will try and get more pictures next visit , total cost installed will be around $5000.
Mine was already a watercooled being an ex-diesel.

K&N cone style filter.

Exhaust.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ib-bus wrote:

I will try and get more pictures next visit , total cost installed will be around $5000.
Mine was already a watercooled being an ex-diesel.

K&N cone style filter.

Exhaust.

I'm doing mine right now as well. Nice to see others opting for this motor conversion outside of the buggy realm.

Question for you, do you happen to know how your guy routed in the water pressure tank? I see it looks like he has an overflow coming out of the radiator cap, but any idea where that pressure tank on the right side is piped in?

Also, that fuel injection rail, does that have the pressure regulator built into it? Is that what the round thing on top of the rail is?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to judge via the pics shown, but would suggest that IF the bus shown has low miles on the swap, thus possibly unproven in some respects, be careful of heat from exhaust damaging that wiring junction box or nearby wiring harnesses.

I doubt it's an issue for this swap, but in a relatively low amount of miles put on an early version of my swap, I saw heat damage to the corrugated wire cover I'd installed on wire harnesses in engine bay.

Neil.

ib-bus wrote:

Exhaust.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Question for you, do you happen to know how your guy routed in the water pressure tank? I see it looks like he has an overflow coming out of the radiator cap, but any idea where that pressure tank on the right side is piped in?

Thats not a pressure tank, it is just an over flow tank. It should only have the small hose from the rad cap going to it. Most vehicles don't have a pressure tank. I'm not sure why VW did it this way?

Jon H.

Last edited by Hammy1 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the pressurized tank is to aid in bleeding the system given the motor/rad configuration?

Jon h.
Hammy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the outfront Motorsport website
Un-Pressurized tank:

Pressurized:

Jon h.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammy1 wrote:
Quote:

Thats not a pressure tank, it is just an over flow tank. It should only have the small hose from the rad cap going to it. Most vehicles don't have a pressure tank. I'm not sure why VW did it this way?

Jon H.

Im just taking a guess, but the reason I assumed VW used a pressure tank, was due to the radiator being in the front of the van and the overflow tank being at the rear. I just assumed it was a way to keep air out of the system.
creedua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

Just got my first vanagon its a 85 with auto. And I was looking at Kennedys kit. I know this is an old thread. So my question does anyone make the engine mounts and wiring harness yet?
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

Here is a link to the nicest ecotec conversion I have seen:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...oka+ecotec
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

just don't go with this guys engine mount system.. he bolted the motor solid to the frame, no rubber mounts has to sound real nice driving down the road. Rolling Eyes
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-t3-doka-transporter/

termuehlen wrote:
Here is a link to the nicest ecotec conversion I have seen:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...oka+ecotec

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

I know this is an older post.. Not much info out there on the Ecotec. I was wondering if there was someone who has completed this conversion could post some detail pictures of the coolant lines , pressure or dump tanks they added, almost like a little run down of how they ran the complete coolant system. Even if its a drawing.. that would be great.. thank you..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

I believe it's rare conversion in the vanagon community, obviously it's doable because this doka has one.

Within the last week I stumbled upon a sand rail outfit that was offering this and other makes as kits. Since all the VW transaxles have the same bolt pattern, I think the rail and baja guys might have more information about these engines. Here you'll mostly find VW, Subaru and the Ford Ztec though similar to the ecotec...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

The diagrams above are backwards for the vanagon cooling system. If you can do this conversion, plumbing should not be that complicated. On the vanagon cooling system, coolant is fed from the engine to the bottom of the radiator. Coolant flows out of the top of the radiator back to the engine. This helps it to remove any small amounts of air. Coolant flow on most engines is out of the cylinder head and back into the block. Look at what coolant pipe fittings you have and plumb it as I described. You will add an expansion tank with a cap. I used a late model vw one for filling coolant. It is plumbed into the heater core return. You can see a picture of the tank I used. I am also using a universal catch tank for any coolant that burps into it.
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
The diagrams above are backwards for the vanagon cooling system. If you can do this conversion, plumbing should not be that complicated. On the vanagon cooling system, coolant is fed from the engine to the bottom of the radiator. Coolant flows out of the top of the radiator back to the engine. This helps it to remove any small amounts of air. Coolant flow on most engines is out of the cylinder head and back into the block. Look at what coolant pipe fittings you have and plumb it as I described. You will add an expansion tank with a cap. I used a late model vw one for filling coolant. It is plumbed into the heater core return. You can see a picture of the tank I used. I am also using a universal catch tank for any coolant that burps into it.

so all you need to do is by pass the motor in and out and add a burp tank ?

sorry for the crude cut away.. but i added green for the new lines..
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

Or ...should I use water jacket intake/thermostat/ heater exchange (all one piece) on the Ecotec? It looks like it will work...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

Pressure tank need to be on the suction side of the cooling system. Try to identify the coolant outlets and inlets on your engine. I am not familiar with this engine to be much more help.
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

mines a 88.. can i use the burp tank on it or should i go more modern? There are a lot of good products out in the market.. most work with a inline fill cap. Also still hoping someone chimes in on a install they have completed.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
I know this is an older post.. Not much info out there on the Ecotec. I was wondering if there was someone who has completed this conversion could post some detail pictures of the coolant lines , pressure or dump tanks they added, almost like a little run down of how they ran the complete coolant system. Even if its a drawing.. that would be great.. thank you..

I know this was a old reply, but I finally logged back in.

What exactly are you looking for? I completed my swap and stayed out on a almost 2 year road trip in it as just a 2wd with the Syncro trans.

I didn't do anything fancy with shiny & expensive bolt on's like everyone loves to see here so I never really kept my posts updated. This was a picture after I 1st finished it. (sorry not a great one)

I was on a very strict low budget build I did my swap for about $2-2.5k including buying the engine, tans adapter and paying to have the wire harness done. It could be much nicer if more money was spent but all in all my only failure after 1.8 months on the road was the "used" junkyard fuel pump I put in it.

I will explain the fuel pump. Basically I used a Ford EFI fuel pump think it was T2000 or something like that. It was the fuel pump they used in pretty much any 1990's Ford V8 vehicle with the EFI V8 motor.

The reason I used that pump, was because it had the fuel line nipple on the inlet side (ie rubber hose from the fuel tank, but on the pressure side (outlet) it had a threaded outlet. This meant I could hook up my stainless fuel line to the outlet side.

For testing reasons, and keeping things cheap while testing I pulled a pump off a Ford truck in a junkyard, to see if it would run at high enough pressure.

It worked and the pump seemed good so I just left that pump in the van. My thought about using a off the shelf pump was I could easily get a replacement on the road vs buying some fancy high end unit. I wanted to to easily find replacement parts..

This idea was great, up until the pump actually went bad. The problem was the OEM fuel pump supply had all dried up so you have to buy a aftermarket one. Well the Chinese aftermarket companies opted to change the design a bit. All the aftermarket replacement fuel pumps now use "pipe threads" on the outlet side of the fuel pump meaning the 6 AN fuel adapter fitting I used to hook up the fuel pump wouldn't fit the new after market units..

This was a nightmare as I could only go back to a junkyard to find another used one.. Of course it promptly went out leaving me in the last town in Colorado on 70 headed East, where ironically enough this 2 auto part store town actually had original OEM unit still on the shelf..

I thought I was saved. Put it in and it worked great for about 200 miles but the new pump started over heating.. (brand new defective fuel pump).

It works fine under normal driving conditions, but on long highway trips it gets hot and will once you turn the engine off it needs 30 mins sit time before the pump will work again. Obviously that will be replaced with something better.

The idea of using the factory ford fuel pump was fine, but I didn't expect their to be a change in the design by the aftermarket companies. If I can find some actual factory OEM units I may continue to use that model and keep a spare. If not I will look to a different solution.

Anyway.. almost 2 years and many thousand miles on the original used fuel pump with zero other problems then a night mare trip home.

As for water lines. The lower main return line I actually used the stock syncro water hose, but I used a rubber insert to adapt it down to the engine size outlet nipple. (basically a smaller diameter rubber hose section inside the very end of the original syncro hose. Sounds sketchy but it worked very good and had zero issue with this and the hose fits perfectly. I did carry a spare replacement hose and adapter with me.

The upper input hose I had to piece together myself. I use a straight section radiator hose on the lower portion with a aluminum 90 degree angle and a flexible section up to a adapter with the temp sensor then a small section to the inlet. The heater hoses went straight to the stock vanagon hoses.

Nothing was pretty or fancy but it was all very dependable.

The van has been parked for about 2 years now while I did some other stuff (built a full size Ford van then went over the road trucking for a year an a half)

I'm actually about to start rebuilding the Vanagon again, hence why I finally logged back in here.. I'm finally going to finish my Syncro conversion and probably rebuild the entire van along the way including redoing some stuff with my ecotech swap.

For the record, the engine is absolutely amazing in the van.. Awesome torque and the perfect amount of power. If I did it again, I might even consider the 2.0 super charged version.

for the record, I have gone back to re-read my old build post, but this was it..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I don't recall how much I put in that topic on the swap with out re-reading it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: