Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

So I've left my original post because you were all so helpful. Now that you all figured it out for me, I did some research and I believe the P.O. put a 68-72 Transaxle in the car from what I can tell from the Serial number AH1632079, but left the tubes and brakes from the 57 on there and swapped the backing plates, and bought 58-64 Drums on it. I have a complete working 1960 Brake setup from my coworker backing plates and all, and was thinking of converting the rear brakes. Is it a simple bolt on?? I've searched and there seems to be some discussion about possible brake cable issues and also a washer that may need to be machined. Just curious if any of you have done it, I saw lots of people say they have done it and the biggest deal seems to be matching the bearing cap to the axle tube, but some still say there is an issue with leakage because of backing plate differences.

I'm attempting to save myself from buying expensive Oval rear drums.

ORIGINAL POST:
I’m working on my 1957 Oval, and I’m really green with bugs not with cars. So I’ve posted before about some ID for my Oval engine and you all were extremely helpful, I’m hoping you all can help me again. So all of this started because I had a right rear wheel that kept coming loose at the axle nut. (Were some shims below the drum which seemed destroyed), I am in the process of swapping all 4 wheel bearings front and rear.

I am going to try and take some photos of my trans but I’m 90% sure it’s a syncro trans, I know it’s not a split case, because I can put it in 1st while still rolling a bit.

What is confusing me is my brakes. I do not have 57 Backing plates I can see that but seem to have early shoes?? Also I know it has reproduction drums and one of them will need replacement due to the splines being worn to almost a point from when it came loose a couple times.

What do you all think of the splines on the axle? Should I get an axle too? How do I tell what axle to buy? Should I get early drums?

I will buy whatever but want it to be right. Do I need more info on the trans to attain that answer?? Thanks so much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by JoePolo on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On Reply with quote

Also while we are at it I assume these are later front brakes as well,-‘s would also utilize the later front drums? I’m having lots of rotational noise from this car and want to make sure there is no rubbing of the drum to backing plates etc..

64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On Reply with quote

The Rear brakes look 100% oval parts to me, but some one has swapped them left to right. the wheel cylinder should be at the bottom as far as i know,
( this could be when the gearbox was changed?! new box but old axle tubes and brakes))
But it will still work.

The rear backing plates look large ( as the drum sits inside it on early cars, also the rear bearing cap is square, another early sign.)

Splines on the axle look fine, and it is usually the drum that goes 1st!

Front brakes look like a 1958 - 1964 setup. are the brake shoes 40mm wide?

Hope this helps.
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On Reply with quote

64-67luke wrote:
The Rear brakes look 100% oval parts to me, but some one has swapped them left to right. the wheel cylinder should be at the bottom as far as i know,
( this could be when the gearbox was changed?! new box but old axle tubes and brakes))
But it will still work.

The rear backing plates look large ( as the drum sits inside it on early cars, also the rear bearing cap is square, another early sign.)

Splines on the axle look fine, and it is usually the drum that goes 1st!

Front brakes look like a 1958 - 1964 setup. are the brake shoes 40mm wide?

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the reply. Yah it looks like they did flip them side to side the question is why or just a simple error. I’ve been doing tons of research this morning and looks exactly how you said rear is early Front is 58-64. I’ll measure the shoes up front. My problem has always been a rotational noise, now my question becomes on the rears, I know it doesn’t have the early drums which sit inside, it had the later ones. 58-64, now is that going to work. I have 1 original drum from a spare split case transaxle I bought, going to have to do some measuring.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On Reply with quote

Its possible they flipped the backing plates to make the emergency brake cables fit, instead of coming in from the rear they flipped them to enter from the front.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On with my brakes Reply with quote

Wouldn’t the cables on a 57 come from the front?

I thought only early ovals came from the rear with the cylinders on the bottom?

Edit: I remember incorrectly...the backing plates are swapped from your pictures

Last edited by txoval on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On with my brakes Reply with quote

Pretty sure all ovals came in from the rear, even ones down here...

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help What is Going On with my brakes Reply with quote

I have a complete working setup from a 58 and later bug what all is involved in converting to those brakes ??
64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

I have 58-64 rear brakes on my 57 oval,

You need to keep the oval axle tubes, and bearing caps. Use the 58-64 backing plates shoes and fixings, and 58-64 e brake cables.

Only modification needed is to grind a notch either side on the square bearing cap.

I will see if i can find you some pics.....
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

64-67luke wrote:
I have 58-64 rear brakes on my 57 oval,

You need to keep the oval axle tubes, and bearing caps. Use the 58-64 backing plates shoes and fixings, and 58-64 e brake cables.

Only modification needed is to grind a notch either side on the square bearing cap.

I will see if i can find you some pics.....

Thanks, with the hodge podge of parts I seem to be finding, I wonder what ebrake cables are on my car since they flipped the 57 Backing plates. I can see they have a different length but it also looks like 57 e-brake cables don't have the spring and the ones I can see in the photos clearly have the spring, so I may have the correct cables already.
64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

You can see the sides of the backing plate are gong to touch the bearing cap. this needs grinding enough to clear to allow the bearing cap to fit in place.
64-67luke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

You could always just cut the lip off the oval back plate as an easy option and alot cheaper than buying oval rear drums!
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos Luke with that help this is how I ended my day.
Tomorrow going to bleed, adjust, and final torque the axle nut and hoping to be all good. Only thing I see different on yours is the spacer that the seal rides in mine had a inner taper on one side and a outer taper on the other, and I put outer taper out not the way you have it with the flat end facing out. I assumed it was to slide the bearing cap and seal over, that’s the way it was on the car when I removed it and nothing leaked so fingers crossed 🤞

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

Joe, you have oval window rear brakes and '58-'64 front brakes. You have oval bearing caps on your rear brakes so it is important that you have oval window axle tubes on the other side of those backing plates.

It looks like the backing plates where turned 180 degrees, likely to use later (more available in the past) ebrake cables.

You have later rear drums so I expect either the lip of the drums or the lip of the backing plate (not recommended) has been trimmed

I would run oval window front wheel cylinders in the rear when running later front brakes to maintain a stock brake balance.
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Joe, you have oval window rear brakes and '58-'64 front brakes. You have oval bearing caps on your rear brakes so it is important that you have oval window axle tubes on the other side of those backing plates.

It looks like the backing plates where turned 180 degrees, likely to use later (more available in the past) ebrake cables.

You have later rear drums so I expect either the lip of the drums or the lip of the backing plate (not recommended) has been trimmed

I would run oval window front wheel cylinders in the rear when running later front brakes to maintain a stock brake balance.

That’s how it was, now everything is 58-64 now. With the exception of the bearing carrier and cap. And I think you’re right about the brake cables because I didn’t have to do anything with the cables.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

If by "bearing carrier" you mean the end of the axle tube then you have everything right. You need to keep the bearing cap with the appropriate axle tube. If you have oval axle tubes you need oval bearing caps. If you have '58-'64 axle tubes you need those bearing caps. If you have later brakes with oval axle tubes and caps you will need to grind some clearance notches in the oval caps.

Oh, you cannot use the strait or angled axle tube shock mount to tell oval from later axle tubes as the angle mounts started about '60.

My oval has a stock '63 transaxle. I have the later type bearing covers with the oval brakes. I have the brakes installed with the wheel cylinder down and long ebrake cables that enter from the rear going forward.
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
If by "bearing carrier" you mean the end of the axle tube then you have everything right. You need to keep the bearing cap with the appropriate axle tube. If you have oval axle tubes you need oval bearing caps. If you have '58-'64 axle tubes you need those bearing caps. If you have later brakes with oval axle tubes and caps you will need to grind some clearance notches in the oval caps.

Oh, you cannot use the strait or angled axle tube shock mount to tell oval from later axle tubes as the angle mounts started about '60.

My oval has a stock '63 transaxle. I have the later type bearing covers with the oval brakes. I have the brakes installed with the wheel cylinder down and long ebrake cables that enter from the rear going forward.

The car had all 57 from the transaxle out with the exception of the ebrake cables and drums. But there was noise from the drums hitting the backing plates. Never had any axle leaks. I ground the bearing caps to get them to fit and should be all good now haven’t driven yet so not 100% sure but the pieces of the puzzle are correct.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the right collection of parts. Always interesting how these cars get updated in different ways. You have newer brakes with a stock 3 syncro box, I've got the later 4 syncro box but still have the early brakes. I will fit a '65-'66 master cylinder to lower pedal effort next time that part comes due to reduce the pedal effort to feel more like the '58-'64 brakes.
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Sounds like you have the right collection of parts. Always interesting how these cars get updated in different ways. You have newer brakes with a stock 3 syncro box, I've got the later 4 syncro box but still have the early brakes. I will fit a '65-'66 master cylinder to lower pedal effort next time that part comes due to reduce the pedal effort to feel more like the '58-'64 brakes.

Good tip on the brake master cylinder, I’m interested in doing dual circuit for sure. My transaxle is a later actually according the serial number from a 68-72.
JoePolo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Edit: 57 Rear Brakes to 58-64 Brakes Reply with quote

Got it back on the ground tonight and test drove, seems to be all good. Going on about a 20 mile cruise tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your help.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: