Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing from Canada to the US???
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about listing my 1987 Doka for sale...I know I'm going to be fielding a lot of questions from potential US buyers. Just so I can compile all the pertinent information, what exactly will they need to know about the vehicle to determine if it is a candidate for importation?
It's a 1987, 2.1L (MV code) gas engine, 4 speed manual. The engine was replaced by a previous owner and as far as I can tell all the emissions equipment was retained. Thanks if you can assist!
2002 Turbo Beetle GLX, sold
1992 4 door Double Cab Transporter
1987 3 door Double Cab Transporter
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

What does the emissions placard say? Is it a US, Canadian, or other model?
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

Can't find an emission decal on the vehicle. I do know that it was brought over by the original owner who purchased it new in Belgium.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

I believe you have to prove it meets the pollution standards for its original place of sale, so you need to find out what those standards were. The Catch 22 though is if there where no standards then it is impossible to meet them. No expert here by any means though, just talking out of my a**. You need to talk to the DMV people in the state you wish to import it to and likely to the feds as well.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

Both our VW’s are imported with two different outcomes.

The 25 year old exemption from DOT rules will apply. As long as the the replaced engine is similar enough to the original, i.e. not originally a diesel and now a gasser you shouldn’t have any problems there - except perhaps California buyers. We imported our unmodified 25-1/2 year old Canadian 2.1L Westy w/o a hitch, KM odometer and all. A reasonable 2.5% import tax across the Washington border for eventual Alaska plating.

But. Your Doka will likely be reconginzed as a “truck” (hard to argue) which unfortunately is therfore “commercial” (crazy) and the new owner will be paying an unreasonable 25% import tax on the number listed on bill of sale. Ask me how I know Rolling Eyes Some Doka owners have breezed through with the 2.5% tax but Washington customs seem to be noticing it now. Just FYI.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

Alaskaberry is correct.

HS form 7 - dot form saying its 25 years old
EPA form stating it is over 21 years old to be exempt

And then the 25% tax at the border if you are driving it across.

If it is titled as anything other than a truck than some might let it slide. It all depends.

I shipped mine into a port and paid a nominal fee for an importer to do all the leg work for me. Also if the buyer is having it shipped into a port then they have to hire an importer unless they have a DOD or other Fed ID to enter the port to pick the van.
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice all, very much appreciated!...25%...YIKES!!!
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:

A doka is technically called a "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" and will say so on the build stock on the driver's door jamb and also on the inside license plate cover sometimes plus often elsewhere in any official paperwork outside the US.

Any US buyer should politely point this out to customs if challenged and then hope for the best. Local friend brought in a doka tristar a few years back and they charged him nothing.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

and CA will be a hassle - no smog exemption.

You can avoid all this by selling where-is and let the buyer take ownership of it of course.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:

Yup. The customs agent at the Port of Tacoma made it VERY clear any Doka was going to be considered a truck. That said here’s a snip from the “chicken tax” thread (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660126&start=20 - more detail on the tax subject with some pertinent info) 0to60in6min brought his Doka through in the same boat as mine...

0to60in6min wrote:
here's a screw up...

we imported a Doka from Germany shipped from Zeebrugge (Belgium) to Tacoma, WA.. everything went well... custom cleared, tax is 2.5%, fees paid and all, ready for pickup...

then we noticed something wrong on the paper work/invoices... customer name is right, vehicle name is wrong (LandRover instead of VW Van), VIN is right.. we called the broker to straighten that... we wait for 3 days then the broker called back saying the tax is now 25% instead of 2.5% because the custom reclassified the Doka as a commercial truck instead of a passenger van...

we swallowed the pill and paid the extra tax bill (or swallowed the bill and pay the pill..).. we think it's because the screw up/mess up from the broker, the custom agent had a chance to look closer and compare and reclassified our Doka..

we'd think it's a toss of dice depending what broker you use... and/or the custom agent looking at the docs. of your vehicle..

Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1of6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

I'm genuinely grateful for all the help but here's one more scenario. I'm thinking that I want to find a Triumph TR6 of equal or lesser value than my Doka...if I were to accept a US Triumph in trade, would the purchaser be subject to the full arbitrary value of the Doka or would he or she be taxed only on the amount of cash that exchanged hands?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
I'm genuinely grateful for all the help but here's one more scenario. I'm thinking that I want to find a Triumph TR6 of equal or lesser value than my Doka...if I were to accept a US Triumph in trade, would the purchaser be subject to the full arbitrary value of the Doka or would he or she be taxed only on the amount of cash that exchanged hands?

Thats a broker question if I ever heard one. My guess is the customs agent will assign some value for the transaction which you wont like.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

It is the value of what he purchased the Doka for. The triumph is a separate transaction. But then again you could have a bill of sale for "$500" for the doka and do a side deal for the triumph. I don't know how much the customs official would dispute it.

I would just pay the tax but can see why people would try to skirt a 25% tax.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
It is the value of what he purchased the Doka for. The triumph is a separate transaction. But then again you could have a bill of sale for "$500" for the doka and do a side deal for the triumph. I don't know how much the customs official would dispute it.

I would just pay the tax but can see why people would try to skirt a 25% tax.

Textbook fraud.

You will be signing affidavits and thinking such things are cute tricks that have never been thought of before is laughable.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

I do not disagree. I pay the taxes for what I pay for. Here in VA people like to put a ridiculous sales price on their title transfers so they get assessed a lower tax. They rarely get disputed though.

If it does get disputed by the CBP it will be more than the headache of the 25% tax.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

as for some consolation on the "chicken tax"...

I heard that here in Oregon, if you have commercial truck on the DMV paperwork (which my Doka has)... the license fee is lower... I am not sure about other states... check it out.

for reference we paid $125.00 (including license plates purchase) in Oregon for 2 years for the Doka... $110.00 for one year for a tintop vanagon GL in California.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

1of6 wrote:
Can't find an emission decal on the vehicle. I do know that it was brought over by the original owner who purchased it new in Belgium.

Look at your VIN number. Is it a North American import model? Here is the VIN decoder link:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236040#6236040

If it is not a North American model, it can be harder to register in some US States because the VIN number can not be entered into the database used by State auto titling agencies. If the 4th, 5th and 6th digits are ZZZ, it is not a North American import model.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Importing from Canada to the US??? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
as for some consolation on the "chicken tax"...

I heard that here in Oregon, if you have commercial truck on the DMV paperwork (which my Doka has)... the license fee is lower... I am not sure about other states... check it out.

for reference we paid $125.00 (including license plates purchase) in Oregon for 2 years for the Doka... $110.00 for one year for a tintop vanagon GL in California.

The problem will be at the Federal level when the vehicle crosses the border, not at the State of registration/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: