Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtReynolds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Check engine light started flashing in my '86 Syncro w/ 2.2 swap. It's a '94 Legacy....so, OBD I, and I can't get a good "Blinking" code to diagnose. Van runs absolutely fine...power is there, running smooth, but there is a decrease in fuel economy....nothing too ridiculous, but noticable. Any ideas what would set off check engine light and lower mpg without causing van to run poorly??

Last edited by DirtReynolds on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Hi.

Your post might get more attention if you put "suby" or "subaru" in subject.

I'm curios why you can't get a (reliable?) blink code. Where is this "flashing" light mounted?

As a total WAG; look towards the O2 sensor and/or wiring parts involved with that.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DirtReynolds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Hi.

Your post might get more attention if you put "suby" or "subaru" in subject.

I'm curios why you can't get a (reliable?) blink code. Where is this "flashing" light mounted?

As a total WAG; look towards the O2 sensor and/or wiring parts involved with that.

Neil.

Light is located in instrument cluster....when I follow the online directions to get computer to blink out codes...I just get continued rapid blinking. Thanks!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

DirtReynolds wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

Neil.

Light is located in instrument cluster....when I follow the online directions to get computer to blink out codes...I just get continued rapid blinking. Thanks!

ok. I "hated" to ask but wanted to make sure you weren't thinking that the coolant low light in temp gauge was the CEL.

Interesting to read a bit on the Subaru blink codes. If I'm reading the correct articles, there's only a 0.3 second break between each set of flashes that represent each of the two digits for a given code. So, 3 short flashes - 0.3 second break - 3 short flashes, might look like a bunch of flashes in a row.

Is it possible you're missing (not seeing) a small break between the flashes?

https://www.troublecodes.net/subaru/

"Reading Trouble Codes

The codes are displayed as pulses of the LED mounted on the module. Long pulses (1.2 seconds) indicate tens and the short pulses (.2 seconds) indicate ones. Pulses are seperated by .3 second puses and codes are seperated by 1.8 second pauses.

also

http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

How much less mph? 10% or so or more? Are you putting the black conectors or the green? Rapid blinking when connected or not? I would disconnect the battery to reset, did drive to see if you get light on again. If so then plug in your connectors to see codes
DirtReynolds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
How much less mph? 10% or so or more? Are you putting the black conectors or the green? Rapid blinking when connected or not? I would disconnect the battery to reset, did drive to see if you get light on again. If so then plug in your connectors to see codes

Black connector to check. Even if there is a short break in blinks....I'm still only getting a rapid blinking light. The fuel mleage is probably down about 10%....no more. Thanks again, TZ
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Reading the blinking is really not easy. Watch it very carefully. The longer blink is the "tenth" place of the code and the shorter blink is the "oneth" place. This may help you:

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/HTML/05/01/01/03.html
DirtReynolds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
Reading the blinking is really not easy. Watch it very carefully. The longer blink is the "tenth" place of the code and the shorter blink is the "oneth" place. This may help you:

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/HTML/05/01/01/03.html

Thanks for the link....super clear. I'll try reading the codes again and see if I can figure out what is tripping it. Even with the van running great, the blinking light has me constantly concerned.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Faulty O2 sensor won't throw a code,but mileage goes down. Can test an old one by heating it red hot with a blow torch and measuring the voltage output as seen on YouTube videos. Also, how old is your coolant temp sensor?
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

We had an old suby and the blinking light diagnosis takes a bit of training your eye. To make the issue easy I would find a friendly suby mechanic and ask him to look at the blinking. He will be able to read it in a "flash" and you will then be able to move into the testing phase of the repairs. Let us know whhat you find. Im always interested in what makes the suby light appear. Mine is finally out after months of driving around ignoring it. Laughing
Damn IAC.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Yes let us know what you come up with. There are youtube videos showing how to read blinking morse code. Check engine light should not blink, it should be solid and only blink when your connectors are connected. A steady blink with black connectors connected would indicate no code. You dont want to drive with them connected. 10% loss in mpg could just be winter blend gasoline or other factors.
DirtReynolds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru Swap! Check Engine light...low mpg? Reply with quote

Great information as always from the Samba community! I'm heading out on an annual "get out of the wet PNW and find some sun" roadtrip in a couple weeks...and would like to have the check engine light diagnosed, as well as better gas mileage for a 2000 mile trip!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: