Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Hi all.

From this thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682821&highlight=diode

Vanagon nut wrote:

At one point [edit; for my 1981 Vanagon ABA swap], I installed a relay triggered by the 15 buss to carry power from B+ to the Motronic engine management but due to a weird feedback through the blue D+ wire, the only way I could shut the engine off was to pull the e-brake handle; .....

MarkWard wrote:
I installed a diode in the wire #15 of the ignition switch to end the feedback no shut off problem. Adding the power relay solved that. When the key is switched off, the relay opens, cutting power to the ECU.

So I'm now adapting the Motronic harness to my 1988 ABA into Vanagon swap. I'll be using the black OE 15 wire to control an 87/87a relay that will carry B+ from starter 30 to ABA ignition coil and ECU (ECU turn on/off)

The relay has a built in suppression resistor in parallel across relay 85/86 legs.

When the ignition is turned off at key, will that resistor prevent voltage looping back into relay coil which in turn would hold the coil contacts closed? (engine keeps running when shut off). Or would a relay with a diode across 85/85 work? Or, should I shunt in a diode in series to the black OE 15 wire?

The notes for my previous ABA swap don't show if the problem relay had a suppression device.

Maybe I'll wire everything up, see how it works.

As usual, I'm being quite fussy, and this is based partly upon ignorance (I don't know what a diodes typical life span is or how they handle temp swings etc) but I'd prefer not to install another potential fail point (diode).

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Neil, I would forge ahead and not worry about the diode. If you shut the engine off with the key and it keeps running, then you can work on a solution. My diode is still there. Mark
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Neil, I think the problem you are trying to prevent isn't going to be a problem with the later instrument cluster in your 88. Starting in 85 VW added a diode to the cluster foil to prevent back feeding of the circuit 15 by the alternator blue wire.

The issue arises when the black wire 15 is used in the engine compartment only for a low current and low voltage load like a small relay coil. The relay coil gets turned by the key switch power but but takes less voltage/amps to stay turned on once it is already on. On early clusters the blue wire from the alternator charging led circuit back feeds the 15 circuit in the cluster but with a weak voltage/amps. Too weak to power the ignition coil like the 15 circuit originally powered but enough to keep an already energized small relay still turned on if an engine is later wired to put everything on relays. VW figured this out and started putting a blocking diode in the cluster foil trace that connects to the alternator blue wire circuit.

You can see a tiny diode symbol in the wiring diagram for the cluster, where the alternator blue wire connects to the cluster, in 85-91 wiring diagrams.

Mark
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Neil, I would forge ahead and not worry about the diode. If you shut the engine off with the key and it keeps running, then you can work on a solution. My diode is still there. Mark

Thanks Mark.

Ya, looking at the '87 vs '81 electrical diagrams to my untrained eye, the potential path between D+ to cluster and 15 buss appears to also be present in the '87 diagram. (my '88 appears to use the '87 diagrams)

Good to know the diode in your bus is still ok.

Is it an IN34 or similar?

In this online Q&A re: "flyback" in a circuit involving two relays providing a switched ground to an ECU (my understanding):

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/56...tive-relay

I see reference to a SCHOTTKY SB160 and SB1100 diode. Looking at the specs for those two diodes, I imagine they might be fine for my purposes if needed?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

The 87 cluster has the extra diode already.

Mark
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Neil, I think the problem you are trying to prevent isn't going to be a problem with the later instrument cluster in your 88. Starting in 85 VW added a diode to the cluster foil to prevent back feeding of the circuit 15 by the alternator blue wire.

The issue arises when the black wire 15 is used in the engine compartment only for a low current and low voltage load like a small relay coil. The relay coil gets turned by the key switch power but but takes less voltage/amps to stay turned on once it is already on. On early clusters the blue wire from the alternator charging led circuit back feeds the 15 circuit in the cluster but with a weak voltage/amps. Too weak to power the ignition coil like the 15 circuit originally powered but enough to keep an already energized small relay still turned on if an engine is later wired to put everything on relays. VW figured this out and started putting a blocking diode in the cluster foil trace that connects to the alternator blue wire circuit.

You can see a tiny diode symbol in the wiring diagram for the cluster, where the alternator blue wire connects to the cluster, in 85-91 wiring diagrams.

Mark

Aha!

Yes. What you describe was my understanding at the time the epic "engine won't shut off" event happened some years ago. That was a puzzler. Reading further today on relays, I totally see what you mean; since the relay switch has a spring attached, it takes more energy to pull the spring while closing the relay switch than it does to keep it closed.

Sorry. Didn't see your posts until after I finally composed my previous reply to MarkWard.

Ok. I see that diode symbol now. It's quite small. Thank you for pointing to that! I wouldn't have seen it.

In 1987 main diagram, track 51, I see it just "below" pin 11 of the T14 connection.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

So I'm now adapting the Motronic harness to my 1988 ABA into Vanagon swap. I'll be using the black OE 15 wire to control an 87/87a relay that will carry B+ from starter 30 to ABA ignition coil and ECU (ECU turn on/off)

The relay has a built in suppression resistor in parallel across relay 85/86 legs.

hi folks.

Could the suppression device (diode, most likely a resistor) in an 87/87a relay interact with the diode at T14/11 in the instrument cluster and cause the engine to stall under certain circumstances?

My 50º ABA swap consistently starts, idles, runs, 100% great and drives 90% great but as I would normally do when coming to a stop, when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal, leave clutch engaged until 1200-1000 RPM, then disengage the clutch, the engine RPM drops to ~ 300 RPM /returns to normal but typically, the engine stalls.

Using the brakes makes no difference.

This feels like an electrical issue. The fuel pump worked fine with the WBX and the ABA fuel pressure regulator is new or near new. IIRC, I cleaned the ISV. And, it Ohms out correctly.

Other things I'll check first; vacuum leaks, FPR vacuum hose, alternator output, run engine without the D+ connected, add another ground to the engine management, bypass the "coil/ECU" relay.

Thanks

Neil.

edited

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

No. The cluster diode is in the blue wire power feed from the cluster to alternator field control input.

A relay with suppression should have a diagram on it showing the type and location of the suppression. Usually a resistor symbol if a resistor.

Mark
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Mark. Ya, it was a long shot thought I had. Given all the wiring work I did, wanted to rule that out asap.

This is obviously only a small sampling of relays but the ones I've opened up had what appear to be resistors in them and each had what looked like a generic icon for the suppression device. i.e. not the

-/\/\- symbol.

Looking through my images again, I'm reminded that the "coil/ECU" relay I installed in this swap is a Pico brand shown below.

Neil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Those are resistors to absorb the pulse from release of the electromagnet

They will bleed a bit of current from the relay but won’t get torched if you reverse polarity , so they are preferred in auto apps for Gorillas
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

thanks Abscate. Yes. That was my understanding and interesting point re: Gorillas. That makes sense. It's my understanding that when the switch opens, the suppressor quells any pulse back to sensitive things like an ECU. I gather the suppressor also helps prevent arcing at the switch contacts.

So, alternator at rest: 12.5 Volts. Running: 14.5

Vacuum hose to FPR ok but I swapped in a VW nylon hose with braided hose transitions to be sure. (no new braided hose on hand) I didn't check to make sure the vacuum port at the intake plenum was clear though.

Ran a new ground from a different (better) point on engine to OE ground point at frame.

The only possible vacuum leak I found visually might've been at the EVAP purge valve hose connection at throttle body (loose clamp) but the hose was tight to the nipple.

Still stalls. Time to get VAGCOM on it see if there's a DTC(s). I'm wondering if the TPS is doing something funky to fuel shut off on decel. Maybe I'll be able to measure resistance (edit: voltage drops) a la Tencentlifes WBX AFM method (measure with analogue meter, power applied to TPS)

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

That icon on those relay cases does refer specifically to a resistor even though it differs from the traditional zigzag icon.

If you look at Bentley page 97.5 it shows some of the various icons you can expect to see in automotive applications.

Mark

Vanagon Nut wrote:
This is obviously only a small sampling of relays but the ones I've opened up had what appear to be resistors in them and each had what looked like a generic icon for the suppression device. i.e. not the

-/\/\- symbol.

Neil.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Ah yes. Ok. Makes sense. And in sticking in the Bosch realm of things, I now see that it's pretty obvious if the relay has a diode

crazyvwvanman wrote:
That icon on those relay cases does refer specifically to a resistor even though it differs from the traditional zigzag icon.

If you look at Bentley page 97.5 it shows some of the various icons you can expect to see in automotive applications.

Mark

Vanagon Nut wrote:
This is obviously only a small sampling of relays .... each had what looked like a generic icon for the suppression device. i.e. not the

-/\/\- symbol.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Neil, my 86 with the Audi 3B engine does the same thing after I replaced the orphan Eurospec/Tiico Fuel Injection system with a Digifant system from a 90-91 Jetta. I haven't solved it yet either. I tried all the same sorts of things you did with no success. Since I was moving the van down south for winter storage,(towing, not driving) I cheated the timing forward a few degrees to make it less annoying. This is not a solution, and I do not recommend what I did, but it made it possible to move it around the yard and into storage without it dying when I let off the throttle. Running with too much advance is not the answer,and could be very detrimental to the engine. I won't be able to go after it until January, so I will watch this space for your solutions!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

hi Tbob.

The stall issue mostly appears to be incorrect engine timing:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...d7e167ecee

The TPS was likely a red herring though it did show to be faulty.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Neil, that's great news! Timing really does matter! I doubt that my problem is the same, as I never had this problem with the old F.I. system, and I did nothing to the cam and belt in the interim. However, it did get better by cheating up the ignition timing----hmmmm.
I really admire your diligence and willingness to chronicle your journey, both good things and things that you learned. You analyse each and every problem, and rather than throwing parts at it and getting nowhere, you methodically think through the process, seeking to understand how the systems were suppose to work together, and just what part may or may be working properly. I live in an area of the country where those kind of skills, indeed even the understanding of why those skills are important, just does not factor into most peoples lives, even those service people who one needs to rely on to fix those things I do not have time to fix. So I come to the samba to get my diagnostic thought process fix. Thanks again Neil!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Swap; Diode In 15 Circuit or Resistor In Relay? Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Tbob. Appreciated. With list help and patience, my methods have improved over the years ...... somewhat. Wink

Truth be known, I did kind of throw parts at this but not w/o some thought, reading, measuring.

Sometimes I think I post too much, and write too much, but if it helps at least one person, great.

On these old rigs, there's so many potential factors behind a given issue but I'm reminded each time I run across an issue to sit down and read the Bentley(s) and after checking the basics, deploy the VOM.

Does your version of Digifant use an idle control valve? If it does, I bet you've already cleaned it and put a meter on it.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: