Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scary Method?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Scary Method? Reply with quote

I have an '88 Westy. Rust, as usual, is the enemy.
I wish to replace the rocker panel on drivers side and the panel above it. The rust is from water getting into the Van from poorly installed water and electrical covers (primarily).

I was told, that given that I do not intend to repair the rocker panel and the panel above it, but to replace the metal, that it would not be necessary to haul all of the cabinets out because any metal going into that area would be new and treated with the appropriate rust proofing prior to installation.And/or can be gotten to with the cabinets in place.

Doing this would save many hours of dismantling the cabinets, hoses, propane and electrical. Seems a bit scary to me because I have no idea what lurks above the rocker panels and behind body panel. Is this a dangerous and useless short cut? Any other tips?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

Not dangerous.... but useless. You need to remove the cabinets, it is not hard and the Bentley has the procedure. You need to see all the rust behind the cabinets to make sure it is treated. Whoever said you could leave the cabinets in is cutting corners.....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

Remove the cabinets. Its a 2-3 hour job, and you get the opportunity to clean up 30 years of PO detritus that has collected there. If you have the inclination, might as well rewire and run new water lines at the same time. You'll be glad you did.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

I have to say, i might be one of those guilty of not taking out my cabinets. I will some day, but i didn't to replace the rocker. I cut out the old one, from the seam down, and seam to seam, left to right. it gave me a clear and open view of what was going on inside, i removed the soggy insulation, and also cut out and fabricated some replacement metal in the area around the water fills and power cord area. Yes this was the first area, i tackled, and i could have done it differently. But I'm replacing everything around the whole van, and did the drivers floor. Still have the drivers side rear wheel arch, and the two lower sections of the doors. I did the two areas in the engine compartment , call them the battery boxes, and sections of the chassy on both sides in the engine compartment. I enjoy this type of work, and am learning as i go. Im no expert, but rust doesn't scare me anymore! There are some interesting videos on YouTube on this subject, worth watching for what ever you get out of them...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

Those repairs pictured above where done in the engine compartment area. Behind the cabinets is a different animal and you need to pull the boxes to do it right.

Hans
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

+1 on removing the cabinets. It isn't as hard as you think it would be and it is worth it.

Unfortunately, if you see the rust coming through on the outside, what you'll find inside will look like this:

So it is better to do this:

You can get the panels from several vendors including Bus Depot.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

There you go. ^^^ The interior needs to come out for that to be done right. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

I agree that cabinets need to come out. In addition to the above comments hinting at the relatively low amount of time to do it, you will want to cut, grind, and probably weld your repairs. While it is possible to do it as first mentioned, the possibility for fire or other damage is higher than the average Joe would want to risk. Also, its really hard to paint those places again when you've got cabinets in the way. It's the epoxy primer you will want, over bare clean metal, so your repair will live a deserving long life.

Good luck, and keep us all in mind, maybe post some pix in the sticky 'what did you do' thread, or get started on your own on-going thread of your van project!

-bobby
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

All good advice. I think the fellow who suggested this appealed to the lazy side of me. I love my Westy. So will treat it right.

Out come the cabinets!

Thanks everyone for your help. The images were a huge benefit. You guys are the best.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

Great! It is actually a fun thing to do. Just unbolt a bunch of boxes and disconnect a few wires, nothing you cannot handle. The Bentley helps a lot on the order in which to do this.

The Western Syncro build
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

a tip if you are brave.
don't be afraid to cut a slot on the base of the kitchenette so you don't have to lift the whole thing over the copper propane lines
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scary Method? Reply with quote

Hello B.O.B.Wanders

1. Did you use just a cutting wheel to cut out the body parts?
2. Being unfamiliar with the actual structures, it appears that you have cut the rusted floor away along where the outside panel was. Is this with a wheel as well?
3. Is the floor section available as well or was that from a donor?

Maybe a couple more pics would help the slow guy?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: