Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bad ECU? Part 2 of the saga...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Bad ECU? Part 2 of the saga... Reply with quote

Well I replaced the wiring harness, thanks Kyle from Kyle Automotive Specialties!I wanted peace of mind, that old and brittle harness could have many gremlins and after 38 yrs was time to change it, and I'm glad i did. I hoped that might have been my problem, but also knew it might not, either way i won't have to worry about it down the road.
So it wasn't my problem, and i can't get it to start. I have 28 lbs fuel pressure, i can smell gas, I have spark, but it won't start. new t2 , new double relay, changed the cap and rotor, checked the points, tried changing the coil, changed the fuel filter. all new fuel lines, new injectors. The thing is it ran fine till it craped out after i did the exhaust. it always started, ran ok, timing was set and checked while it was running many times.Ive looked for any wires that might be loose or broken . Could the ECU have gone bad? That and the AFM are the only things i haven't changed. I don't mind replacing them, if there was a consensus that they could be the problem. Im the original owner, and I have restored just about every system, fuel, suspension, etc. I just want it to run, so i can continue on to panel replacement. Some things I'm good at, but diagnosing issues like this isn't my area of expertise, changing parts and up grades I'm good at.Thanks to all who have posted suggestions in the past.

Last edited by calo1956 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

What year vanagon? I would start with a basic compression test. If compression is good and even, you can narrow it down to spark problems or fuel mixture. I ask about the year, because the earlier vanagons did not use the ECU to fire the coil. Only the later ones.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

My mech thought ECU was problem. It was not. It was Idle stabilizing unit.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,its a 1980. i can do a compression test, but from what i have read about doing them, the motor should be warm, does that matter? The motor ran fine before i got stuck doing a test drive after installing the new exhaust. FYI the motor has only 500 miles on a rebuild. What do you think would be causing the spark or fuel mixture problem, if the compression checks out? like i said, the only 2 things i haven't changed on the EFI system are the AFM and the ECU

Last edited by calo1956 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Shaggin, i don't have one of those, but i defiantly have a issue somewhere!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

You do not need a warm engine to get a compression test that is 'good enough' for your purposes here. The engine will run with low compression - not so much so with no compression.

Have you looked at the spray from the injectors with the engine cranking?

That is the real test for 'getting fuel'.

If you have fuel spraying and your spark test was done at the plugs then I would be looking at timing.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Ahwahnee, Ill do the compression test,after tomorrows snow! Do you have to do it with the throttle plate wide open, or that doesn't matter either? And why would there be a sudden lack of compression?Im only asking because I don't know. I haven't checked for spray at the injectors, i can only say that i smell plenty of fuel when i crank it, and i have 28 lbs oh fuel pressure, and the injectors are new, I realize that doesn't guarantee anything. I tried rotating the dist. both directions yesterday,after marking its current position with a pointer. i got a tiny kick once, but that was it, and i have spent much time making sure the timing was spot on before this episode.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Air cooled vanagons had a 5th injector or cold start valve. You could be smelling the fuel from it. It is not controlled by the ECU like the injectors are. It has an an external thermal time switch. You say it ran fine before you did the exhaust. You may have pulled a vacuum hose loose say on the brake booster supply or the intake boot. A large vacuum leak has the same symptom of no fuel.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, I am aware of the cold start valve and that surely could be my source of smelling fuel.Im really diligent on vacuum leakes, and hunted down and fixed them all. I have a super clean engine compartment, and didn't see anything disconnected up top, or below. But i surely could have missed something i haven't looked for
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:

So it wasn't my problem, and i can't get it to start. I have 28 lbs fuel pressure, i can smell gas, I have spark, but it won't start. new t2 , new double relay, changed the cap and rotor, checked the points, tried changing the coil, changed the fuel filter. all new fuel lines, new injectors. The thing is it ran fine till it craped out after i did the exhaust. it always started, ran ok, timing was set and checked while it was running many times.Ive looked for any wires that might be loose or broken . Could the ECU have gone bad?

I don't know how "real" this is but I've read that welding on a car with an electric welder while the ECU is still plugged in can cause damage to the ECU. In a perfect world, the stock air cooled exhaust is a bolt up affair but if pipes were welded with an electric welder..... < shrugs > ? I'd still think the ECU is probably fine.

That said, sure sounds like the engine is "flooding".

I agree with Mark. Check out the cold start valve. The Bay forum will have lots of info on that part. (later Bays used the FI 2.0)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Did you mix up the wires at the coil? The lead for the ECU is on the - side of the coil. It uses that as an rpm signal. Easy mistake to make. Not sure what color wire the replacement harness wire is. Without it, the injectors won't fire. The sparkplugs don't like getting continuously soaked with fuel.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, you are correct about not needing any welding on the exhaust, not to say that I haven't done a lot of MIg welding on the van over the years, but it didn't affect the old motor, to the current rebuilt motor. Good food for thought though, i think unplugging the ECU, and the battery would be a good practice. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the cold start valve, I will look at posts here on that. As always, thanks for your time and input.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, that wire is where it belongs on the coil. this problem started a few weeks ago, and i still had the old harness, I was hoping that the new harness may have been the answer to my problem, but it wasn't.After our major snow storm we have coming tomorrow, Im going to look into some of the things you and others have suggested trying. What about the AFM, do you think that could be the culprit?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
Thanks Neil, you are correct about not needing any welding on the exhaust, not to say that I haven't done a lot of MIg welding on the van over the years, but it didn't affect the old motor, to the current rebuilt motor. Good food for thought though, i think unplugging the ECU, and the battery would be a good practice. ......

you're welcome calo1956.

Ya, I don't really know enough to say either way regarding risk of damaging vehicle electrical stuff when MIG welding on the vehicle but as you suggest, good practice to disconnect battery at very least. I'd think with the ground path to ECU disconnected, that might suffice. But I'm just guessing.

Along with MarkWards comment on that "5th injector" I'd think at the very least, they could be susceptible to leaking just like a regular injector.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

I don't believe the air flow sensor can prevent the engine from starting. Another member described using the fuel pressure gauge to determine if the injectors are working. I'd go ahead and remove them from the intake and visually watch them spray. If the injectors are pulsing, it has to start assuming spark is present. It is rare, but I have seen one injectors short internally which will spray the injectors continuously. That will quickly flood the engine. I would pull the dipstick, check the level, but also smell it.

To condemn the ECU, you need to verify everything else is good. Through process of elimination you will determine if the ECU has failed.

Welding on the chassis with the ECU connected is a no no. High charge rates are bad as well for the ECU.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Have you confirmed you have spark?

Additionally one method that has always proved success for me, if something stops working after I do work on a vehicle - consider the cause likely to be from something you changed and track back through that. So any connections related to the exhaust you removed, etc.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for your knowledge and input. I can't take back years of welding,but will unplug the ECu, and battery in the future. As soon as the weather improves, i will check if the injectors are spraying, and check the oil as well, and pull the plugs and see if they are wet. So when i have checked for spark, i pull a wire, put a plug on it and lay it to a screw on the block. I see spark, but is that sufficient? I don't know how strong or bright the spark should be..
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Thanks Marshj , like i just posted to Mark i have seen spark, but don't know what constitutes a proper spark. I have had the van up on the lift and checked and checked again for anything that might have been affected by the exhaust install. The only area that i may have disturbed could have been the starter wires, as the heater hose from the heater control was right in that area. But i checked them several times. Im no expert mechanic by a long shot, but it seems to me that something electrically must have gone wrong, I can't imagine that a major motor malfunction took place, but again, I'm no expert.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

I imagine that when you installed the Kyle electric harness you hooked the starter trigger wire to the harness. this is the wire that plugs into the solenoid from the double relay. it tells the double relay to turn on the fuel pump while you are cranking the key in the start position.
then
once the engine fires up when you release the key from cranking to run.
the fuel pump is operated by the contact points in the AFM cover.
once the engine fires up and breathes in the AFM flap moves and makes the points contact. but it has to fire while cranking 1st.

so double check that the wire from the ECU harness to the starter solenoid is plugged in and happy.

or
use a small clip and tie the AFM contact points together, effectively bypassing all of that to force the fuel pump to run.. you should hear it..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bad ECU? Reply with quote

Double relay demystified by Colin.
http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=5459
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: