Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Below Windshield Rust Repair
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
was the busdepot one the little metal strip one or the one similar to the EIs one i linked (kinda looks like the klassicfab, but grey?)

The little one. I think it is Just Kampers label.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

The installation procedure has a lot to do with the fit.Not to disparage your work,Looks good for DYI,just hope mine turns out so well.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The green panels need a LOT of custom fitting. The corners were the worst. [/img]

WHEN i get to it, ive got to tackle this job. Is where youd cut it if you had to do it again? It looks like you just cut out below the belt line and completely replaced it?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

The green panel is meant to be welded in along the bulge section, above the belt line. I think the green panel has had good reviews, but sometimes stamping dies can become less precise with wear. I don't know if that has been an issue or not. I used the BD strips. It was a pain in the ass. I would say your panel is way too rusty for this. I think people have used the EIS panel. It's a sucky job either way, even with a perfect replacement panel.
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Myself, I am pretty sure the body dies VW used changed from the early to late bays,especially the nose and windshield area, along with the shape of the windshields, particularly the corners. How that affects the new metal available is a guess. I have always thought the early bays, '68 &' 69 had a more rounded nose than later ones. I maybe wrong, but somehow the nose appear more rounded. I'd be very surprised to hear that the same stamping dies were used for 11 years. Has anyone else noticed this?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
Myself, I am pretty sure the body dies VW used changed from the early to late bays,especially the nose and windshield area, along with the shape of the windshields, particularly the corners. How that affects the new metal available is a guess. I have always thought the early bays, '68 &' 69 had a more rounded nose than later ones. I maybe wrong, but somehow the nose appear more rounded. I'd be very surprised to hear that the same stamping dies were used for 11 years. Has anyone else noticed this?

You are wrong. The skins are interchangeable, but for the turn signal cutout locations.
Windshields are the same part as well.
Maybe the colors make it seem different?

Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
Ah..Ok, got it. several vendors are selling the grey EIS one now, so i figured someone here may have bought one.

I used an EIS grey panel. The metal was thick and pretty hard to work with, but overall fit wasn't too bad.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

If you just want to seal things up until you can do a proper weld job, plumbers use a bright shiney silver tape that's sticky like duct tape but water proof. You can get a roll at Home Depot in the plumbing Dept. It will look like you put a wide strip of chrome under your windshield. Funky, but it will keep out the water. If it's going to be a while before you do the job you might want to encapsulate the exterior rust with POR15 which you can order on line. A starter kit should be enough. But remember that it's still rusting underneath. Have fun!😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Yarkle wrote:
Ah..Ok, got it. several vendors are selling the grey EIS one now, so i figured someone here may have bought one.

I used an EIS grey panel. The metal was thick and pretty hard to work with, but overall fit wasn't too bad.

if you had to guess (if you you remember) what gauge was it?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

The way i see it you could either drive it the way it is, or run some Gorila tape across it, or bite the bulet, cut it out, weld in the new piece, let it get some surface rust, or just give it some spray patina
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

The basic tools you'll need to do this are a mig welder (don't get a 220 powered welder for 22 gauge sheet metal, it will blow right through) Best bet is to get that on craigslist. Also you'll need a grinder to grind down your welds and a die grinder with a cutoff wheel to cus precisely. You want a mig welder that uses gas (co/argon) as it can be turned waaay down so you don't blow through thin metal. To weld that thin stuff you need a lot of gas flow and a relatively long wire stick-out, that long stick out lowers the amperage going into the weld and makes it cooler. You will 'stitch weld'-do a dot here, move over there do a dot, you don't want it getting too hot. It's a slow boring process but it's really not hard. Best bet is to get a piece of donor metal from another bus. Try the classifieds or Blair and Sons in Arizona. Having an air compressor so you can use air tools is a major plus. Good luck!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

With regards to the rusty relays:

What I've done in the '78 is drill tiny drain holes in what would be the lower corners of the relay covers. I then used some dielectric grease and smeared the grease all over the terminals to help seal them up a little.

Seems to have helped prevent more/further damage.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

What has not been addressed in this thread (unless I missed it) is the rust that is occurring on the steel sheet under that Swiss cheese. Not cutting this rotted piece out to get down in there and address the rest of the as-yet unseen rusted metal will only give you or someone else much pain later.

Please do it right. And don't get me started about... patina.

From the Samba Gallery... see that inner skin? Yours is rusting away, too. This guy took the time to get in there and get at it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Below Windshield Rust Repair Reply with quote

This is my thread on my windshield rust repair using the BD part. There are some downsides to doing it this way compared to using the Gerson panel which come up in the thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: