Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

The best way to trouble shoot the Power Mirrors is to pull the connector behind the fuse panel and check continuity of the wires in the door. My guess is that the mirros are functional and you broken wires in the jamb.
I just got through doing this on a customers van and not only were the wires broken they were corroded almost like they were burnt.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I've had this kit installed for about 14 months now. Replaced all the window rubber at the time, and scrapers, and lubed the regulators. I also had to fabricate the plastic parts needed to rebuild the regulators. They were fine for a while, but gradually slowed down, and now the passenger side won't make it to the top without manual help. Now (of course after I installed mine) GoWesty sells the replacement plastic inserts and guides. I'll pull mine and rebuild with GoWesty parts, but I have to say I'm less than impressed with the power of the motors. If the regulators aren't in really good shape, they struggle mightily. The wiring is also undersized, especially for the passenger side. I'll be installing larger feed wires and relays to eliminate voltage drop. Just food for thought...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

It's a Spal Deluxe kit with GoWesty bits. It's solid.

I shared this conversion many years ago before it was sold as a kit.Pics are dead but my cables where in the door.
I don't like how they feed the cables behind the door cards on their kit, you can even see the bump on their pics.

I clock the motor differently and install it above the air tunnel towards the rear, recess the crank snout and sandwich the female gear behind the door. It's not an easy job to do but it can be done very neatly.

I'll share pics in a few days, too busy to dig them out now Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: