Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Okrasa with Porsche linkage
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Has anyone seen an okrasa set up with a Porsche shroud and linkage? Iíve got a few shrouds and linkage sets around. Iíd love to use it but Iím thinking that because the carbs sit so high, the links to the carbs will be really short and at a funky angle. Iíve googled all ways I can think of with nothing!

My only thought is to get some WW I takes and cut them down a bit to make that work correctly, as Iím not going to cut my original ones.

Thanks for the help guys!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
Has anyone seen an okrasa set up with a Porsche shroud and linkage? Iíve got a few shrouds and linkage sets around. Iíd love to use it but Iím thinking that because the carbs sit so high, the links to the carbs will be really short and at a funky angle. Iíve googled all ways I can think of with nothing!

My only thought is to get some WW I takes and cut them down a bit to make that work correctly, as Iím not going to cut my original ones.

That won't be your only problem, the Porsche accelerator linkage is totally different, it uses rods that push the carbs open vs VW using a cable to pull them. You would have to use the entire assembly from pedal cluster to carb to pull it off.
The shrouds are just modified VW 36hp and later 40hp anyway, nothing special.

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe in pieces
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

That won't be your only problem, the Porsche accelerator linkage is totally different, it uses rods that push the carbs open vs VW using a cable to pull them. You would have to use the entire assembly from pedal cluster to carb to pull it off.

Right. Iím not worried about that. I already have that part work out. Pretty easy to modify to work with a cable. So, now my biggest issue is the carb height vs. linkage rods.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Mr.Ragtop wrote:

Right. Iím not worried about that. I already have that part work out. Pretty easy to modify to work with a cable. So, now my biggest issue is the carb height vs. linkage rods.

Funny cause I keep thinking about some way to modify a VW doghouse cooler set up to work on a Porsche engine!

Anyway, chopping the WW intakes down sounds like a viable plan.

My retirement plan:
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 crusty double cab
1960 convertible bug
1963 356 B coupe runner
1963 356 B coupe in pieces
1967 21 window rust bucket
1967 912
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

When I found my first Okrasa kit with 17 years in 2015, there were basically only the heads, manifolds, balancing tube and the carbs.
Well it came with a strange linkage. It appears to be Porsche 356, but it is homemade.
I didn't use it, because the experts here said there were no Okrasa engines with this linkage and after my research that is 100% sure. But I test fitted it and it would work. The question is how well it would work! The only advantage of this linkage is in my opinoin, that it is more resistant against the spreading of the engine while it heats off, so that the synchronization won't be affected that much.

Jan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

I know I am using Zeniths, but maybe this will help, there is a lot of room for adjusting the linkage and modification. I cut up a POS Porsche shroud for the linkage and welded it on a VW shrould. I moved some stuff around behind the shroud to make things line up better. Had to shorten the throttle cable some as well and made a "J" tube guide for the throttle cable to go through and line up with the linkage. It is nice, a bit of a PITA to connect the throttle cable and adjust the rear linkage, but not the worst.

I will try and bring the car out to VWOTG so you can see what I did if that helps. Hopefully I can make it down.
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Okrasa with Porsche linkage Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:

I know I am using Zeniths, but maybe this will help, there is a lot of room for adjusting the linkage and modification. I cut up a POS Porsche shroud for the linkage and welded it on a VW shrould. I moved some stuff around behind the shroud to make things line up better. Had to shorten the throttle cable some as well and made a "J" tube guide for the throttle cable to go through and line up with the linkage. It is nice, a bit of a PITA to connect the throttle cable and adjust the rear linkage, but not the worst.

I will try and bring the car out to VWOTG so you can see what I did if that helps. Hopefully I can make it down.

That would be awesome!! My only concern is the ďdown linksĒ that attach to the carbs themselves would be really short and at damn near 45 degrees. Iím sure I can come up with something to make them work and look correct. Letís try to connect on here before the show at some point!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: