Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What’s the worth 56 conv. How can I determine if numbers match?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: What’s the worth 56 conv. How can I determine if numbers match? Reply with quote

Im trying to figure out what a 1956 convertible bug is worth. The cars body work is near perfect condition no sign of any panels ever being relplaced or even fender bender if so it was done very right. It was painted at one point in the restoration but then got some dings and those areas are now primered after being repaired. The seats and interior pieces are there but need to be redone. The top is just a frame. All the glass is there and the pan was fully restored about 10 years ago. Rebuilt trans and 36hp motor but everything else has been sitting tucked away for 10 years or so in a garage of course. Looking to sell but would like to get a fair price. It’s gonna need to be restored still but is at a great starting position. All body panels fenders hood deck lid are all original and has working semaphores as of 10 years ago so who knows. Any ideas?? Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by oldvdubs on Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

Did you figure out that the Pan and Body match?

Sadly, a basket case value will be signifucantly less than you might be thinking.

There is always a "what's missing" question and sometimes obtaining those missing bits can be difficult.

That being said, an original matching rust free, undamaged 56 pan and Convertible body are highly prized!

I'm not shopping and have no interest in purchasing, but I'm watching out of curiousity.

You might post an eBay ad with a very high selling minimum so you can back out without issue, this will allow you to see what people might offer for it in a real world situation. ........ and...... you might just be willing to accept the highest bid too!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

It’s gonna be a few days until I can confirm the match numbers on the body and pan. And I’m well aware that a basket case is not worth the same as a restored car hence the reason this thing has the question lingering and not in the classifieds at a ridiculously high or low price. I just want to find a fair price that someone would be willing to pay and I can collect some lost money on. As for what’s missing I’m sure there is something from over the years so I guess my next step is to start an inventory of what I do and don’t have. The w deck lid picture shows how much dust and how many years it’s been sitting. That deck lid is painted and is shiny new paint on the side facing down
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

If you have a clear matching title for it, I'd give you $10K for it all.
lucille66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

Value is only in the eye of the beholder when its not a complete, running car. In my opinion, I wouldn't pay anything to receive a car that is completely taken apart. The task of taking on the restoration is a huge ordeal and definitely going to need a lot of time/work/money invested into getting it back to running shape. Not that it's completely worthless, but to me it's just someone else's headache they don't wanna deal with so is now selling/pushing it off on someone else to finish up. Good luck with it - and pay the least amount possible to take this off their hands. Its a long road ahead of you, but in the end will be worth it once its all back together.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=438348&highlight=lucille66
oldvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

Trust me I totally get that a stripped car is a lot less valuable than a complete car I’ve built many in the past vw Chevrolet Cadillac ect. Parts arnt hard to find if you have the cash and building a car even a basket case that is another persons problem doesn’t take more than 3-6 months if it’s terrible, if you have the resources and know how. I’m sure if a novice were to pick this up they’d be over their heads and or walk the other way and not even want to try to restore it. This is going to be a build for someone who wants a rare vw that’s a little tougher to find than a early 60s ragtop and willing or wanting to make it their own. I don’t care if this thing becomes a Baja to be honest as long as I get a fair price on my end. I’ve got to go through and see exactly what I have to see how complete the car still is. I’m just really trying to avoid getting an itch to finish this build cause I would just be selling it in the end either way. Anyhow if anything like this has been bought in the past or is for sale now how much did you pay and or how much are they asking. I mean there’s an offer here for 10k which I’ve been offered before sight unseen. Which I gotta say is definitely tempting seeing I don’t have to build the car. I appreciate everyone’s feed back sorry for rambling lol
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

lucille66 wrote:
Value is only in the eye of the beholder when its not a complete, running car. In my opinion, I wouldn't pay anything to receive a car that is completely taken apart. The task of taking on the restoration is a huge ordeal and definitely going to need a lot of time/work/money invested into getting it back to running shape. Not that it's completely worthless, but to me it's just someone else's headache they don't wanna deal with so is now selling/pushing it off on someone else to finish up. Good luck with it - and pay the least amount possible to take this off their hands. Its a long road ahead of you, but in the end will be worth it once its all back together.

We all have a different perspective. I like to buy projects like this and restore them over time - it's my therapy from my desk job. When they're taken apart like this, I can see every inch of what I'm getting into before I buy and enjoy putting the puzzle back together to my standards with few surprises.

I'm also interested in buying this vert. Here's what's important to me (and I'm sure others) before I determine value and make an offer:

1. Matching body & pan? Matching 36hp engine and split-case trans would be a bonus.
2. Does it have the correct 1/15 XXXXXX VIN plate?
3. How about the 15-XXXXXX body stamp in the spare tire area?
4. Title?
5. Top & bottom frames of the convertible rear seat still there? Condition?
6. You said glass is all there - just to confirm, does that include the rear window & frame, and the front windshield?
7. Does the car have the correct rear view mirror? Visor(s)? Dome light?
8. You say body is in great condition - does that include the support rails?
9. Are the semaphores the correct convertible ones?
10. What's missing?
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

oldvdubs wrote:
Trust me I totally get that a stripped car is a lot less valuable than a complete car.........I mean there’s an offer here for 10k .....Which I gotta say is definitely tempting

My offer is only good until the end of the month, so if your serious about selling it, don't delay...
I'm not interested in the "bidding" game or the "let me see if I can get more first" thing...

Serious buyer, cash, and I have a shop and the means to build it.

Must have a clear matching title to proceed.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

OP - suggest you jump on that offer....Once someone really works through the actual cost of restoring an early vert, that offer is more than reasonable IMHO....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

Moderator note:
This seems to be turning into a "Make Offer" thread.
If you want to sell the car, place an ad.
If people are interested in the car to buy it, contact him directly - don't post in the Forums.
Thank you.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

Yeah I agree let’s put this tread on pause until I can get everyone’s answers about the car and all the parts located to let people know what they would be getting. I appreciate the interest I’ll post on here when it’s ready and or when it goes into the classified section. I’ve had quite a few pm’s and tried to reply to them all thank you all again. Stay tuned!
oldvdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What’s the worth/desire for a 56 convertible? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I can figure out if the engine and trans are numbers matching for my car? I did btw find out that the body and pan are in fact numbers matching. Thanks for any info
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: What’s the worth 56 conv. How can I determine if numbers match? Reply with quote

Post the numbers here - vin# and engine code.
People will know right away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: