Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 894, 895, 896 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

spencersk8 wrote:
Supposedly there was a time when there were more vws in that town than people.

Where is that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I forgot the history. The truck was originally delivered to Portland, OR to Stone's VW dealership. Still has the original plates and frame. It was used by Stone's VW to haul parts until 1985 when the previous owner's father, a VW mechanic bought for $700 from the dealer. It was then brought to Ohio and used for several years. When his father passed in the late 80s the son bought it and parked it til the late 90s when he brought it back to Ontario. He restored it around 1999-2000, drove it 1000 miles and parked it. Its' been sitting in a garage since then. The son is also a VW mechanic and own's a successful VW repair show. The truck has been well taken care of.

When I started cleaning it out I found the original registration in Stone's (that was his first name!) name and a receipt for complete tranny rebuild at Stone's VW in 1984. Cool.

Cool story, but it cannot be quite correct. Unfortunately I do not know the history of your truck,
but I do know that Stone bought the VW dealership from Maury Clark in early 1966, so those cannot be the original frames or selling dealer...
Still awesome though, congrats!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I’m tired of the awkward moment in this thread....

Hey, remember in the 70s when we all used to dress like bacon and dance on teeter totters? Shit those were good times...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqCx3Zlvmc
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

KWZ wrote:

Hey, remember in the 70s when we all used to dress like bacon and dance on teeter totters? Shit those were good times...

Having no idea what was happening in that video, I instantly had the idea to set that dance to a different drummer. If you play Slayer's Raining Blood starting at about the 35 second mark, then play the dancing balance board bacon video on mute, you will see things that make you continue to wonder what the hell is happening. But if you laugh as hard as I did, it will be worth it.

You're welcome.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
spencersk8 wrote:
Supposedly there was a time when there were more vws in that town than people.

Where is that?

California Wink
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
KWZ wrote:

Having no idea what was happening in that video, I instantly had the idea to set that dance to a different drummer. If you play Slayer's Raining Blood starting at about the 35 second mark, then play the dancing balance board bacon video on mute, you will see things that make you continue to wonder what the hell is happening. But if you laugh as hard as I did, it will be worth it.

You're welcome.

Try playing "Thieves" by Ministry while watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqCx3Zlvmc&app=desktop
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Holy crap....somersault guy! I can't watch anymore, the bell bottoms are making me dizzy
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Finally drug home the convertible 1967 21 window. Wayout salvage found it before me and cut the roof off. Fix or flip, I'm trying to decide...

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The arrow is a nice touch. Sad
Is that bus a prime candidate for a re-conversion? Would it be nearly as 'amoral' as turning a 13 into a 21, or would the brain trust of buses give it a pass because it would be converted back to factory?

If the latter is true- I would call it a great save to match it's build plate.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

The guy cut metal out of it to make dashes for dune/rail buggies, I asked why the cut was shaped like that. He said the shape he was doing he bent the arrow shape to form the metal dash.
That's what I'm thinking is to find a 13 window roof
then do gerson's or autocraft panels to convert it. Cargo floor isn't too bad just outer edges. and the side belly pans, center pan is still good.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Finally drug home the convertible 1967 21 window. Wayout salvage found it before me and cut the roof off. Fix or flip, I'm trying to decide...

BAJA BUS!
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

BAJA BUS!

That was the bus I drug out a few years ago

I guess I'll drag out anything..
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I prefer original, can you get a roof clip from Gerson with skylights and sunroof? Also EmpiGT what ever happened to your Baja find as I do remember it. Nice work bus hunting.

EmpiGT wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

BAJA BUS!

That was the bus I drug out a few years ago

I guess I'll drag out anything..

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I traded that one for a running short wide 1968 chevy. Then that guy sold it to a guy in Cali and he posted it for sale on here. Not sure where it is now. I'm pretty sure gerson sells all the body metal for the conversion just not a complete roof.. I would do grumpy's but I don't like the way the 3 windows on either side of the sunroof inners are spliced between each window.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
I traded that one for a running short wide 1968 chevy. Then that guy sold it to a guy in Cali and he posted it for sale on here. Not sure where it is now. I'm pretty sure gerson sells all the body metal for the conversion just not a complete roof.. I would do grumpy's but I don't like the way the 3 windows on either side of the sunroof inners are spliced between each window.

If you have any problems with splicing of metal, I would highly recommend not fixing this bus. Wink
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

If you have any problems with splicing of metal, I would highly recommend not fixing this bus. Wink

Haha. You got me there.. This bus needs whole sections. Another issue is that Grumpy's also leaves the hard top driprail/roof skin strengtheners in place and the outer skylight window pressing almost touches it. Then the inner skin isnt shaped correctly and splicd on top of that. Why not buy the correct piece if it's available thru Gerson. Another thread has talked about these panels from autocraft being not deep enough to meet the outer skylight pressing unless they've corrected that now?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
KWZ wrote:

You're welcome.

Try playing "Thieves" by Ministry while watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqCx3Zlvmc&app=desktop

HAHA that was great! Thanks!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Things continue to happen out there in Kingston that cause me to believe Derrick is getting keen on the idea of getting out of the business.
Good dude, just the river is running dry.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Things continue to happen out there in Kingston that cause me to believe Derrick is getting keen on the idea of getting out of the business.
Good dude, just the river is running dry.

This one didnt come from Derrick. He just cut the roof off almost 20 years ago and left it setting. I imagine 20 years ago the bus was still fairly nice. I saw the roof that he cut off of it out at his place. It was damn nice and complete. But it does seem like he is thinning out his stuff.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Decided to torture myself with a new project.

Lots of scrubbing. Then paint stripping. Fixing logos.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 894, 895, 896 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 895 of 990

Jump to: