Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miguelcueva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking for stainless steel exhaust options for my Thing. I am looking specifically for the double exhaust, the one that has a muffler on each side. I know they exist because I have seen pictures but I have not been able to find them.

I checked on vintage speed and I also emailed them asking but they do not carry those.

any ideas?
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

The Thing Shop
http://www.thethingshop.com/POLISHED-STAINLESS-DIVIDED-HEADER-EXHAUST-SYSTEM/productinfo/181DHS-P/
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miguelcueva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

cool, thanks!!
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

Some of those kind of exhaust you can't adjust valves because you can't get valve cover off. Some the valve cover will come off. Check with them. If you can't get valve cover off without removing exhaust that is not good Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
Some of those kind of exhaust you can't adjust valves because you can't get valve cover off. Some the valve cover will come off. Check with them. If you can't get valve cover off without removing exhaust that is not good Sad

I have that exhaust, I really like it. You can remove the valve covers no problem. It's pretty tight to do the valve adjusting as you can't get a screwdriver straight on, I've had fair results using a screwdriver bit in a 1/4 box wrench. It's a little fiddly but it can be done.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

I curious as to why you haven't considered the Vintage's Thing exhaust system with the single muffler out back.
I have one on my Thing and I'm very happy with it. Excellent quality.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

are either of the last 2 exhausts listed loud? I want something more quiet for my 73
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless steel exhaust for 1973 thing Reply with quote

obus wrote:
are either of the last 2 exhausts listed loud? I want something more quiet for my 73

The dual Thing Shop mufflers are quieter than the empi tri mil copy

https://www.jbugs.com/product/55-3425.html

which I had before, but still louder than I sometimes wish they were. I've been thinking about playing with motorcycle baffles in the tailpipes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: