Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Krylon close matches to factory colors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I have experimented now with a couple of different spray paints on my 1966 Velvet Green/Pearl White deluxe.

1) The Krylon Ivory is a very good match for my pearl white paint.
2) The Krylong Hosta Green is not close at all. Like not at all. Much too light, and that's probably because as Clara pointed out that the Velvet Green gets darker with age.
3) There is a Rustoleum color called "Spruce Green" that is pretty much dead on as far as matching.

Just wanted to relay some new information.
In this photo, the cargo doors are original paint, and the panel behind the cargo doors is the Rustoleum "Spruce Green". Pretty close, eh?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Bi5uePvyIWdLUy1ax2J91yUqCjeTSCr6L7atah9iNhT

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Looks good in that photo
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you repainted the circled area, that is a fantastic match (on your bus anyway :^) ...

Doug
jacobworek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

redfox97 wrote:
Anyone have a good match for L90c toga white

Color-wise I've found Krylon Chalky Finish Paint in Paver Gray to be very close to Toga White ( http://www.krylon.com/products/chalky-finish-paint/ ). Be advised that true to its name, finish is matte with no gloss whatsoever. I imagine that a rubdown and clear coat will rectify that somewhat.
74volksrodwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

has anyone found anything for L472 beige gray? I've got some left on my roof and not sure yet what I want to do as the white was sprayed on there at some point when they repainted my bus sealing wax red

1973 beetle(deceased)
1967 13 window deluxe
1968 deluxe bus
1973 bus(sold)
1978 westfalia(deceased)
1979 deluxe westfalia(sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Just did a L54D Marina Blue paint test. Purchased a can of Harbour Blue, Satin Aqua and Blue Ocean Breeze, they were available in single can lots. The other two colors mentioned earlier were Catalina Mist and Olympic Blue, found no local store with either color, online would have to buy a six pack, not happening.

The test piece on the far left is enamel L54D whicjhis a real close match to the original 46 year old color in my 71 bug. Included a picture of the dash which has been touched up, the glove box door and dash grill pieces were painted in rattle can L54D.

None of the others come close,

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingergypsy wrote:
dubllyou wrote:
Not a bad match. A little playing with the undercoat and I think it could be even closer.

The light's funky in the shot and I can't roll it out yet but it looks darn good in person.... after five cans of "test" paint. Confused

Cool

has anyone tried out more L30A Royal red? this picture is hard to tell how good the match is

I did quite a bit of touch up over the weekend. Been raining so I don't have any sunshine photos yet, (by the way, don't paint when it's raining. It wasn't when I started and everything was working out well. Started raining just before I did the last piece, took forever to dry, and no gloss), to my eye, Rustoleum Painters Touch Colonial Red is an almost perfect match to the L30A Royal Red. Probably as close as you're gonna get in a rattle-can.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I use Almond for silver beige on interior parts myself

The COMPLETE list

L345 Light Gray- Krylon River Rock
L345 Light Gray- Krylon Pebble Gray
L380 Turkis- Krylon Satin Jade
L380 Turkis- Dulicolor engine enamel "Detroit Diesel Alpine Green"
L82 Silver White- Krylon Dover White
L87 Pearl White- Krylon Almond
L87 Pearl White- Krylon Ivory
L456 Ruby Red- Krylon Cherry Red
L456 Ruby Red- Rustoleum Regal Red
L311 Sand Green- Krylon Ivory White
L311 Sand Green- Krylon Celery
L312 Palm Green- Krylon Hosta Leaf
L312 Palm Green- Krylon Camo
L289 Blue White- Krylon Honey Dew
L466 Silver beige- Krylon Almond
L451 Indian Red- Krylon Georgia clay
1977 Polar White- Krylon Almond
LY3D Tornado Red- Krylon Sunrise red

Undocumented matches

L360 Sea Blue 1- Krylon Regal Blue
L360 Sea Blue 2- Krylon Oxford Blue
L512 Velvet Green- Krylon Hosta Leaf
L390 Gulf blue- Krylon Bahama sea
L469 Anthracite- Krylon Castle rock
L434 Fjord blue- Krylon Mountain view

If almond and ivory are listed here as a close match for L87 Pearl White it appears on this color chart to not be the same. Has anyone tried either as a match for L87? The almond looks close.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I already mentioned above that Almond was not acceptably close for me. I found Rustoleum Canvas White to be much closer to L87. Quoting myself above:

glutamodo wrote:
Slammer wrote:
CookieMonster35 wrote:

I have just found that Krylon Ivory is a closer match to L87 Pearl White on my og paint SC than Krylon Almond. FYI

I had to replace the panel around the windshield washer bottle and brake fluid reservoir in the spare tire well in my Pearl White 62 a while back. Since the weather has now warmed up nicely I decided it was time to paint it. I had some of Krylon Almond, so I used it.

Now, I know my car doesn't exactly match mixed L87, due to the painters I've used in the past custom tweaking the color a bit. It is pretty close, but not exact. So if the paint in the spare tire well was off a little, I thought it wouldn't bother me. But it did, because that Almond was a lot further off than I expected.

So today I went through the spray can aisle at Menards looking at colors. I chose Rustoleum Canvas White. Resprayed the area tonight and found I was much happier with that one. It is still not a match, but it's much closer.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Thank you and sorry I missed that as I reread the thread glutamodo. I just have a small spot that I will repaint properly with 2 part ppg in the spring but for now it bothers me and I need a quick fix although I suppose I could track down an auto paint company to make me a spray can of L87 they may be slow to produce.

glutamodo wrote:
I already mentioned above that Almond was not acceptably close for me. I found Rustoleum Canvas White to be much closer to L87. Quoting myself above:

glutamodo wrote:
Slammer wrote:
CookieMonster35 wrote:

I have just found that Krylon Ivory is a closer match to L87 Pearl White on my og paint SC than Krylon Almond. FYI

I had to replace the panel around the windshield washer bottle and brake fluid reservoir in the spare tire well in my Pearl White 62 a while back. Since the weather has now warmed up nicely I decided it was time to paint it. I had some of Krylon Almond, so I used it.

Now, I know my car doesn't exactly match mixed L87, due to the painters I've used in the past custom tweaking the color a bit. It is pretty close, but not exact. So if the paint in the spare tire well was off a little, I thought it wouldn't bother me. But it did, because that Almond was a lot further off than I expected.

So today I went through the spray can aisle at Menards looking at colors. I chose Rustoleum Canvas White. Resprayed the area tonight and found I was much happier with that one. It is still not a match, but it's much closer.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benbear1122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Hello. Does anyone have a close match for Assuan Brown LH8B for 1980 Vanagon? Preferably in Rustoleum or Krylon?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mielke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Any close matches to L518 Java Green? I have a front apron that needs replacing Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
REDKAFER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I'm not sure how many have used auto-grade "convenience paint" (thats what I usually hear paint people call the higher quality rattle-can paint) but for what it's worth, it is vastly superior to hardware store spray paint. Typically it goes on MUCH thicker - making one-coat jobs a possibility - and the spray pattern is WAY stronger and more well-defined. Sure, you may pay 5x more per can but in my experience it covers at least 2x the area and lasts 4x as long, so really its a money saver as well as being the correct color for your matching purposes.

Also, if you find yourself with one of those clip-on-to-the-can pistol grips, your final product will be much better regardless of the paint you use. With some mods you can even use them on the stupid new "comfort" buttons all the manufacturers are switching to.
drozdenko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors-rallye yellow Reply with quote

Hi,
Anyone have any luck finding something close to Rallye Yellow L10A?

Thanks!
'01 WE Jetta 1.8T (Sold)
'02 Passat GLS 1.8T (Sold)
'96 Jetta Trek (Sold)
'88 Gti-16V (Sold)
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Following up from my 'locked' post / thread from a few days ago. Seems that, here in Canada, the possibilities of finding the Krylon spray paint are diminishing by the day. Lowes carries the Rustoleum brand of rattle can paints, and Rona used to carry the Krylon brand. With the purchase of Rona by Lowes in early 2017, Lowes has apparently decided to standardize to Rustoleum brand spary paints, and that means no more Krylon at Rona stores. I was in Rona store 2 days ago, and had this explained to me by a customer service manager ...unfortunately he also explained that for the past year they have been clearing out the Krylon rattle cans at $3.99 per can. All this store had left were some off-colours that no one would likely ever buy. So....for us Canadian folks, you might want to check your local Rona store for Krylon deals ...time's a wasting!
john7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I read on here that Rustoleum Lagoon matches Sea Blue, i dont see how anyone can think that matches, but i found a way better match, Its rustoleum Deep Turquoise.
The bright blue green spot on the left is Lagoon, the right is the Deep Turquoise, the sea blue they are sprayed on is original 1966 Bug paint
these pics are taken with no flash in natural sunlight
Rustoleum part #327902

Slot Mag King!
I accept Paypal, CASH, GOLD, SILVER, COINS, GUNS & money orders.
capted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Is L41 (Black) flat, satin, or gloss?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

L41 was glossy
VW used "LD" for low gloss - LD43 was another black used in the late 60s on wheels and interior parts.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
volksfreak11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Anyone of you know which rattle paint matches to Bahamas blue L519? thanks
OVIEDOAV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Anyone have anything close to
L567? Am I the only split bus with this color? Seems to have only been used on Vanagans? I have zero idea here...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: