Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unique Manx build
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Well said, in the above few posts. I'd like to be able to harness sun and wind energy for personal gains, but don't believe the green electric movement is the way to go, across the board.

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
travotravo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Well, if you'd read my original post, I did say not to try to argue with me about the EV conversion--but thanks for turning this into politics.

If we're talking about Co2 emissions, Electric beats I.c.e. hands-down. If you want to ignore the current accurate data--20 year expected battery lives that are very recyclable. 2% rare earth metal in a typical lithion battery. The "huge mine picture myth"., then I guess you may want to start talking to flat earthers.

A credible study in Popular Mechanics showed a comparison of a Tesla P100D and Audi A8. at about 3 years, the Tesla breaks even with CO2 production. The Audi will pump it for another, what, 20 years? Even with coal powered electricity!

Besides, ignoring the environmental aspect, electric owns i.c.e. inacceleration--which is what I want my car to do.

I understand the hesitation. I, myself grew up working on muscle cars--and I still love them. I even own several Jeeps. But I don't think someone who wanted to drop a 454 chevy into their bug would get this much backlash.

It's really simple, if you're not into my project, don't comment on my project. TIA!

Now, back to business(please!):

Thanks for the info about the baja a arms I have actually already cut off the front of the superbeetle pan and I'm well aware that I'll need to tube the front for an A arm set up.

Again, I'm purely here for information on building the structure of the car. Not the powertrain.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think that pan and lift kit is for a VW "Thing".

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unique Manx build Reply with quote

travotravo wrote:
Well, if you'd read my original post, I did say not to try to argue with me about the EV conversion--but thanks for turning this into politics.

If we're talking about Co2 emissions, Electric beats I.c.e. hands-down. If you want to ignore the current accurate data--20 year expected battery lives that are very recyclable. 2% rare earth metal in a typical lithion battery. The "huge mine picture myth"., then I guess you may want to start talking to flat earthers.

A credible study in Popular Mechanics showed a comparison of a Tesla P100D and Audi A8. at about 3 years, the Tesla breaks even with CO2 production. The Audi will pump it for another, what, 20 years? Even with coal powered electricity!

Besides, ignoring the environmental aspect, electric owns i.c.e. inacceleration--which is what I want my car to do.

I understand the hesitation. I, myself grew up working on muscle cars--and I still love them. I even own several Jeeps. But I don't think someone who wanted to drop a 454 chevy into their bug would get this much backlash.

It's really simple, if you're not into my project, don't comment on my project. TIA!

Now, back to business(please!):

Thanks for the info about the baja a arms I have actually already cut off the front of the superbeetle pan and I'm well aware that I'll need to tube the front for an A arm set up.

Again, I'm purely here for information on building the structure of the car. Not the powertrain.

Glad your making progress. Good luck on the build. I know you said bus trans, but have you considered a Subaru, it would already have the drive for the front shaft? http://subistuff.com/fully-built-4wd-reversed-remanufactured-transmission.html Considering one for a future awd street rail.

And unless you plan on driving significant distance above 70mph, (well technically 70 mph wind speed) aerodynamic drag would not present a significant factor. Should only take off a handful of miles at most.

No politics or backlash intended, but perhaps check out Stanford’s new (2016) study on the lifecycle impact of EV vs ICE. It take all aspects of environmental impact and logistics of materials to production. Emissions CO2 is only a small percentage of the impact, even with an ICE it’s basically 1/2 based on an average 20 year service life. And I have personally seen how most LI batteries are recycled, and a lot of other more easily recycleable materials...shipped to India and dumped. I’ve seen the containers filled and loaded on ships leaving San Diego and I’ve seen the dumps just outside New Delhi with street kids picking out energizer batteries and P&G bottles to sell to counterfeit product manufacturing. So much so many leading brands are putting elements into their packaging that if they picked out of the dump and refilled, they can’t be sold as a counterfeit shampoo or cleaning product.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: