Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Bus not starting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBragg802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

I picked up this 79 Bay Window a few weeks ago. And Im having a bit of an issue with getting it to start.

It tries to start while its hooked up with jumper cables, but it was cranking VERY weakly.

I installed a new starter, cleaned all the grounds, new coil, and ignition switch and Ive got it to start cranking strong, but it still wont start.

I went ahead and checked the fuel pump, and my fuel pump isn't getting any power from the double relay. Where exactly would you suggest to start if my double relay isn't getting any power? This is my first fuel injected bus, so please bear with me. Brick wall

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

I would start with a new high quality battery. Until you do that you are wasting your time.

I would also make sure there is oil in the bus. How long was it sitting.
DBragg802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

Bus sat since 2013 sadly.

It had oil still in there, but I drained it and topped it back up. Same with the fuel.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba, DBragg802!
And thanks for saving another Bay from the ravages of time.

Here's my favorite resource for fixing anything fuel injection related:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

And my favorite source for fixing anything else is right here, with The Sambanistas.
You're in good hands, and these guys will help you get up and running soon.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Poptopcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

I have a 1978 fuel injected engine. I tuned mine last summer. Other things to consider checking. Set Points gap. Clean the inside of the distributor cap. Check and set spark plug gap. You may need to clean the plugs if they are oily. Set the timing. If it's out of time it might not start. Clogged fuel injectors. Since the bus sat for a while the gas can turn to varnish and clog the injectors and fuel lines. Air filter. If it can't breathe it won't start and run. If you're in a cold climate, a faulty cold start valve can make it hard to start.
The thing about a 39 year old bus is that you have to assume that all parts are 39 years old and may need replacing or service. I speak from experience. If you don't have a Bentley manual for VW buses, I suggest you get one. It's the bible for bay window bus owners.
And unless you know that your fuel hoses have recently been replaced, you need to make that a priority. You don't want a ruptured hose lighting your engine on fire. These buses are notorious for igniting from old hoses leaking.
Old VW buses like lots of TLC. Don't forget to have fun and this Samba forum is a great resource for info.😎
2020 VW Tiguan
2001 Harley Electraglide Classic
1986 BMW R 800cc motorcycle
2002 Chevy Camaro Z28
1999 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

DBragg802 wrote:
I went ahead and checked the fuel pump, and my fuel pump isn't getting any power from the double relay. Where exactly would you suggest to start if my double relay isn't getting any power?

It just hit me that I had the exact same problem when I got my van; the fuel pump wasn't getting power from the double relay. (BTW, did you open the AFM flap to energize the pump?)

To temporarily fix the problem (and to verify that was the problem), Robbie (Asiab3 on The Samba) had me run a jumper from the coil to the relay, so when the key turned on and the coil got energized, the fuel pump would start working.

However, I can't remember exactly where the jumper started and ended. You might PM Asiab3 and ask him.
EDIT: Just found where the jumper went...
Take one end of the jumper with just a bare wire and jam it into 88b. Then attach the other end to coil +.
To test if it fixes the problem, turn they key to on (not start) and open the AFM flap. If you hear the fuel pump hum, you found your problem. The next problem is coming up with the money to buy a new double relay. Those suckers ain't cheap!

And, yup, replace the fuel lines. And brake hoses. It's cheap insurance.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM

Last edited by KentABQ on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

pop the distributor cap, make sure it turns when you crank the starter-
pop a valve cover, see if the rockers are moving while cranking.
Start there so you don't waste too much time. I'm suspicious when ever
a bus is 'parked'. I park mine all the time. Almost every day. Not for years.
DBragg802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, hopefully one of these helps me get this old girl back on the road.

Ive already gone through the brakes and fuel lines. Ill make sure to hit everything else you guys have mentioned. My 71 Westy and Rabbits are taking up all the shop space right now so itll be a few days before I can start digging into the 79. Ill keep everyone updated though.
1971 Westfalia
1969 Westfalia
1966 Bug
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

What oil are you using? I see snow on the ground, so if you are running a 20w50 it is going to crank pretty slowly. A 10w40 or 10w30 would be better.

The fuel pump will not run just by turning the key on, for the pump to get power either the starter needs to be turning or the engine needs to be drawing enough air to open the door in the AFM. If you turn the key to the "ON" position and open the door in the AFM with a pencil inserted into the AFM through the air cleaner housing you should be able to hear the relay click and the pump run.

You need to add FI cleaner to your fuel tank and run the pump for several minutes to circulate the cleaner through the fuel rail.
DBragg802
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

Wildthings, I always use 10w40. Just happened to get some snow for a couple of days. I got it to start cranking faster after replacing some parts and cleaning the grounds.

But that's good to know. I thought the fuel pump was supposed to prime for a brief second after turning the key to on.. but like I said this is my first FI bus so I'm still learning the ropes! All this information is good to know! Very Happy

Thanks again to everyone.
1971 Westfalia
1969 Westfalia
1966 Bug
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

Congrats on the new bus! It looks awesome! Your in good hands here, Ill leave the suggestions to the more knowledge, I have all kinds of issues with my FI too, and have replaced everything. So good luck, and congrats on that awesome score!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

I would start with getting a Bentley manual if you don't have one already. Its the one with the green cover. Here is the link for that: https://www.google.com/search?q=1979+bentley+manua...mp;bih=710

I wouldn't bother getting any of the other manuals, personally I just find that they don't offer anything this one doesn't.

And Welcome:
Tcash wrote:
Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

73-79 NEWBIE

Tcash wrote:
Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote:
Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
Type 2 M-Plate decoder
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Bus not starting Reply with quote

If you still can't get it started, try to get some better up close pics of whatever is going on here. This appears to be some previous owner fiddling. There is no heater fan hanging down either, so there's some wires running around in non-standard locations.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: